TheManaDrain.com
March 31, 2020, 05:16:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Affinity  (Read 998 times)
walking dude
« on: November 16, 2003, 10:07:47 am »

Affinity

There is another affinity thread, but I donít want to hijack it so Iím posting here.

A quick word of warning. Over the summer I play a lot of magic, and any deck I post is probably well tested against a gauntlet of the most up-to-date lists of the best decks. During the school year I have far less time, my testing is limited and my gauntlet is somewhat outdated. Still, I found an interesting deck that was posting good results even in an untuned form so I thought Iíd share it with you guys. The deck, then my testing so far, then my thoughts/notes on the deck.

Its worth noting that my deck is quite different than most of the decks on that thread, I donít go for brood star, so I have a lower blue count and more artifact threats.  I think this deck is more aimed at a combo/control metagame.

affinity
        4 Frogmite
        4 Thirst for Knowledge
        4 Thoughtcast
        4 Myr Enforcer
mana

1 Tolarian Academy
        4 Mishra's Workshop
        3 Chrome Mox
        7 Island
        1 Grim Monolith
        1 Mana Vault
        1 Mana Crypt
        1 Black Lotus
        1 Sol Ring
        1 Mox Sapphire
        1 Mox Ruby
        1 Mox Pearl
        1 Mox Jet
        1 Mox Emerald
good stuff
        4 Chalice of the Void
        4 Ankh of Mishra
        3 Chimeric Idol
        4 Juggernaut
                4 Su-Chi

Results of my testing so far and notes

5-1 v pre mirroden dragon: I was surprised by this, but chalice on reanimation spells or ankh of mishra buys you a few turns until they find necromancy or rushing river. You could usually beat them down in that time. Even still, I suspect results this good might be an anomaly.

3-3 burning desire: This includes a bad consult, if it hadnít fizzled this would be 2-4. On the other hand, I wasnít  aggressively mulliganing into chalice and doing that more would have boosted my win % so maybe this is about right.

2-4 tog pre mirroden : Tog had 1st or 2nd turn ancestral in EVERY game, (darn apprentice shuffler) I feel that if tog had not been so monstrously lucky the match up would be better. Also, tog is not played much now.

Artifacts beat aggro. Chalice beats aggro. Artifacts + chalice, didnít even bother testing.

3-3 keeper post mirroden: One game was lost due to a play mistake on my part, so it might be 4-2 with better play. Chalice for 2 is a house against keeper.

Card notes:

I used the chrome mox for mana maybe once. I just donít have enough colored cards. Otherwise dropped for zero to help with affinity or chucked to thirst. If it was crypt, I would have won an extra game v keeper and long by being able to counter will. It also might have helped against tog by neutering AK, DA, and weakening tog. Not to mention, adding crypt would make this a truly nightmare match for dragon. The other possible replacement is greaves, which I need to test, but I think MD crypt is better.

No artifact lands. Monkey wrecks your house. But you can recover. I think artifact lands would just make things much worse. Also, I sort of cheat on the island count going as low as I think is possible. The fact that all my blue mana is basic means that drawing one island is enough because I know it wonít get wasted eaten, ect. If my blue sources were non basic Iíd have to play more of them and cut acceleration or spells.

Ankh plus chalice for 0 is a beating and pretty much ensures you win against control. Ankh is also good by itself against control and rocks against dragon. It doesnít do much v aggro but good v combo and control is good enough for me.

Chalice: This is an absolute beating against everything. Anyone not playing 4 needs their head examined. You have enough card drawing that you can usually find one if you play 4, with 3 you couldnít be as confident.

Threats: Most of them are obvious. Broodstar requires too many blue lands and realistically wonít come down on turn 1 or 2 that often since you need 2 blue sources plus acceleration. If its not fast enough to play under the counter wall, Iím not interested. Chimeric Idol: With another creature it does increase your clock by one turn, which is the same as what lighting grieves does except it costs 3 instead of 2. In return for that 1 mana you get a card which isnít dead by itself, is useful in multiples, can attack/block on its own, and gives you some resistance to balance which keeper can find without too much trouble. Also it gives you something to do if they drop chalice for 4 (not impossible off mana drain mana).

Power: The deck has blue, this means it would almost certainly be improved by adding ancestral. Time walk is probably also a good idea. And tinker is a possibility, although there is not that much to tinker for. Not sure what the best cards to cut for it are though. Any suggestions? It will take me more testing to find exactly the card to cut.
 In the short term 61 cards with recall is better than 60 cards without.

So hereís what I would recommend as an affinity deck.

affinity
        4 Frogmite
        4 Thirst for Knowledge
        4 Thoughtcast
        4 Myr Enforcer
mana

1 Tolarian Academy
        4 Mishra's Workshop
        7 Island
        1 Grim Monolith
        1 Mana Vault
        1 Mana Crypt
        1 Black Lotus
        1 Sol Ring
        1 Mox Sapphire
        1 Mox Ruby
        1 Mox Pearl
        1 Mox Jet
        1 Mox Emerald
good stuff
        4 Chalice of the Void
        4 Ankh of Mishra
        3 Chimeric Idol
        4 Juggernaut
        4 Su-Chi
   3 crypt
   1 ancestral recall\n\n

Copperleaf
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 12:47:54 pm »

Random thoughts vs affinity:

I think you want to be playing some sort of counter backup, or REB's in the side.

I was playing an affinity deck in a small tourney yesterday (I was playing keeper).  And there were just so many fat mana drain targets.  I drained a myr enforcer turn two (7) and then proceded to cunning wish, isochron, hurkyls recall.

The deck might want to protect itself with some kind of counter backup, or more disruption, becasue it just offers so many free mana drain targets.

It also takes a hit vs hurkyll's, although i realize a lot of the artifacts can then be played the next turn, but its a lot of tempo loss.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: