TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 05:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MaskNaught Report  *First*  (Read 1435 times)
spevack
« on: February 03, 2003, 01:56:04 pm »

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend Christiaan, who currently does not have an account.

As for my own tournament report -- I chickened out on playing Legend Black at the last minute, because I'm a wuss, and played Academy, beating T2 U/G, and losing to Void and fully-powered Aluren?!

On to the winner, however....

T1 report -- Christiaan Royer

Last night, I decided to complete my power 9 collection.  I now own 5 signed unl. moxen, unl. ancestral, unl. time walk, unl. timetwister, and 1 nm beta black lotus.  Max, can you post on Mana Drain what follows:

This tournament took place at C&J's in Fremont, California.  I decided to play my Mask-Naught deck.

Decklist:
-- Mana
3 Swamp
2 Snow-covered swamp
2 Polluted Delta
3 Underground Sea
1 Bloodstained Mire
3 City of Brass
2 Gemstone Mine
7 SoLoMoxen
4 Dark Ritual

-- Spells
4 Duress
4 Unmask
1 Hymn to Tourach
4 Illusionary Mask
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Phyrexian Negator
2 Hypntoic Specter
3 Tainted Pact
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Necropotence

SB:
2 Dystopia
2 Recoil
2 Planar Void
2 Contagion
2 Diabolic edict
1 Zuran Orb
1 Jester's Cap
1 Lord of Tresserhorn
1 Timetwister
1 Phyrexian Negator

Round 1: Sean with MonoB Rats, Enfeeblement

It looks like this is guy is a casual player so I keep a so-so hand that had early negator beats.  He plays some rats and enfeebles my dude.  I play another negator.  He triple blocks my feeble dude, and I have to sac 3 perms.  Luckily, I still have the other Negator and swing for the win.  Next game I actually get the combo.  He then enfeebles my naught and then contagion's it (reducing it to a 6/8).  I play another naught and he is amazed and what my deck can do.  He graciously accepts my greater deck power.

1-0, 2-0

Round 2: Jon Flores with Sligh
I don't remember a whole lot from this match other than that I get out a quick naught and bring him down both games.  However, his deck demonstrated the sheer direct damage ability of sligh by being only one turn away from being able to burn me out in both games.  Luckily for me, 12/12 > 2/1.

2-0, 4-0

Round 3: Justin (Saucemaster) with Stone Keeper
Game one was one of the most amazing games I have played in a tournament.  I had an average draw and only had so much gas.  I got a quick hyppie, but he got a quick abyss after hyppie only did 4 damage and 2 cards.  I keep attacking his hand with spells and manage to topdeck into the combo.  But I know he still has countermagic, so I go after his hand first.  I unmask him, tapping out, and he mana drains with YawgWill in hand.  This allows him to draw cards and play a Morphling from the graveyard.  I personally would have mystical'ed for twist, ancestral'ed, twisted ... but I am no keeper player, so given the odds, perhaps Morphling is the right call.  Next turn I TD another Mask.  He counters, and I play the other Mask.  Unforunately, I'm tapped out, so I can't play the naught in my hand.  He swings for 5.  Next turn, I TD demonic consultation and play the naught.  He swings with Morphling, bringing me to 2.  On my turn, I swing with naught and he's at six.  I play consult hoping he has no countermagic ... luckily for me he doesn't.  I then consult for a singleton ... time walk!  It's not in the first six so as long as it's not on the bottom, I'm fine.  It's not on the bottom and I win!  We both were quite confident that Justin had the game in the bag.  Game 2, he sides into the power artifact/grim monolith combo.  I side in planar void, recoil, jester's cap, and dystopia.  I get out a first turn planar void.  This makes him unhappy, but he still has dismantling blow.  However, if I manage to nab it before he casts it, he is screwed in terms of the oath combo.  I don't actually remember everything from this game, but I do remember time walk doing him in again.  He had oath on the the board, ready to combo me out.  I had a mask in play and two naughts in hand.  I resolve time walk, put two naughts into play and it's scoop time for Justin.  Justin (saucemaster) said he'll be putting up a tourney report, so if you're interested, hopefully his notes will be better than my memory (apologies for any errors on my my recollection).  

3-0, 6-0

Round 4: Gary Dumlao with 1.5 Counter-Burn
I don't remember much from this match either, other than a timely recoil on a tapped nev. disk when I had just swung once with naught.  I then unmasked him, and stupidly took the disk when he had a fact in hand.  He fact'ed into a Maze of Ith.  I felt dumb.  I think I then consulted for another naught and won!  Sometimes the deck has a winning will of its own in the face of bad plays by its driver.

4-0, 8-0

I win a foily DCI skirk marauder and a DCI Island.  

Props:
My opponents, for accepting 12/12's in the face with grace.
My deck for not crapping out on me this week.
Max, for accompanying me in the car ride and attending despite feeling a little under the weather.
Brenton House, for helping me playtest the deck.
Stanford men's bball, for also going undefeated on the day I did.

Slops:
Arizona men's bball, for stealing candy bars.  You deserve to lose your #1 ranking.  Razz
Fishhead
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 03:01:15 pm »

Congrats on the win.  I wasnt sure who won, so I am happy to see a report.  I'll apend my mini-report here:

Mini: I had to work late and wasnt able to show up until the second round had already started.  Boo.  But I did bring GroTog and a version of Mask very similar to kl0wn's TMD:Online deck.  The major change was that I replaced the two Recoils with Cunning Wishes and redid the SB to be more Wish friendly.  Generally, this seems good, as Recoil is mostly in the deck to answer certain specific problems and my SB Tutor power (2 Wishes) is about the same as my in-deck Tutor power (3 black Tutors).  So I give up the questionable ability to Consult for Recoil (I can consult for Wish at the same odds if things get that desperate) for more flexibility in finding answers.

Played against the Aluren combo and manage to outrace him 2-0 because of hands like Delta-Ritual-Duress-Sol Ring-Mask-Dreadnaught-other random card.  We talked a bit after the game about kl0wn's (was it kl0wn?) theory of FoW'ing the Ritual just as a means to prevent the explosive start.

Played Christiaan's Mask with GroTog and win because I can just keep countering everything.  Not enough disruption to break through the wall of counters consistently.  I do win a squeaker where he Unmasks before attacking with Hyppie and I Mis-D it with only his Dreadnaught in hand.  Ooops.  So its not like a cakewalk for GroTog.

Promodi wins more than he loses with pure Paragon Keeper, but our games are a bit goofy being late at night and a couple are dorky landscrew games.  (Whats funnier than coming to the table and finding Gro with 6 land on the table (with Fastbond) and Keeper with one?  Lol.)  Anyway, I think perhaps I was not optimal in the real games.  But, its got to be a tight matchup if it requires optimal play in every game.  

Environment: Min (?), who said that he lurks on TMD, brought a Paragon Keeper and finished strongly (though, again, I didnt look at the final standings since I didn't get in.)  If you read this, send me a PM and I will include you on the "Are we going to C&Js this week?" mailing list.  

I'm pretty bummed that I missed the tournament overall; there were a high number of good players and good decks present.
Vegeta2711
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 03:16:59 pm »

*lives in fremont*

Um, where is this place exactly? I may wanta show up sometime. hehe ^^
Saucemaster
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 04:03:43 pm »

Well, I don't actually have anything worth reporting (6th place, and I kind of lost my mental focus in round 4 after the Mask beatings ), so no report for me.  I was playing Trinity, which in theory I really love, but in practice doesn't feel as natural and intuitive to me as a more "standard" Keeper.  This is probably due to extreme lack of practice.  As in, these were the first real-life games I'd played with the deck.

I'll comment on the Mask game, however.

Quote I unmask him, tapping out, and he mana drains with YawgWill in hand.  This allows him to draw cards and play a Morphling from the graveyard.  I personally would have mystical'ed for twist, ancestral'ed, twisted ... but I am no keeper player, so given the odds, perhaps Morphling is the right call.

Here's my take on the situation insofar as I remember it: I have Balance in hand, and we're both low on cards.  I'm pretty sure you've been holding back Mask, but I have countermagic in hand.  However, I've already used a good deal of resources and there's only so much more my deck can handle before I'm reduced to racing.  The amount of blue mana i have in play, however, is forcing me to decide whether to go for Mystical or play Morphling--I can't safely do both.  This is what I remember, anyway; I might be wrong here, as I don't have any notes in front of me.  Anyway, at this point it looks like race time, and I remember counting your Pacts, tutors, Masks, etc in the 'yard and thinking that, everything else being even, I liked your topdecking odds better than mine.  Which means that I have to give you as few turns as possible in which to topdeck into Dreadnaughts, more disruption, etc.  I decide to go for Morphling to start clocking you, with FoW backup and a Balance in hand in case things get crazy (If you force a mask thru and drop a dreadnaught, i can always kill my Morphling the turn before I die, then Balance).  At this point Morph was something like a 3-turn clock, I think?  I figure that's my best-percentage play.  Anyway, I do this, feeling pretty confident that that's game...

Quote   Next turn I TD another Mask.  He counters, and I play the other Mask.  Unforunately, I'm tapped out, so I can't play the naught in my hand.  He swings for 5.  Next turn, I TD demonic consultation and play the naught.  He swings with Morphling, bringing me to 2.  On my turn, I swing with naught and he's at six.  I play consult hoping he has no countermagic ... luckily for me he doesn't.

...and then he topdecks like a god!  I tried to bluff him into going for Hypnotic with his Consultation (I muse aloud: "Hmm.. well, if you consulted for Hyppie you could block Morphling and swing for the win..." while, by this time, I have my *other* morphling in hand and the Balance), but he's a better player than that and goes for the Walk, then Walks for the win.  Very good game, and Christiaan was a great opponent.

Quote  Game 2, he sides into the power artifact/grim monolith combo.

If any Trinity players are reading this (Big Blue? kl0wn, who plays both decks?), I'd love to know whether this is correct or not.  I figured it probably was, but Dreadnaught is a huge clock and unless you already have the Oath in play before he plays the Naught, you'll have to have the full five mana so you can combo in one turn before activating Oath.  No fudging it by reclaiming Lotus, then reclaiming YawgWin.

Regardless:

Quote  I get out a first turn planar void.

Yeah.

I manage to D-Blow it, but in the meantime I can't destroy the Mask that's hit the table, and I've run my hand out of gas trying to stay in the game.  I make a mistake early on and I'm mana light for the first few turns, and when he tutors for Time Walk (again!!!!) that's that.  Mask *really* punishes play mistakes, as you just have no breathing room.

As a side note, I'm still pretty inexperienced with Keeper in any form (I tried out Trinity mostly to see which form of Keeper I wanted to start practicing with), so this is a particularly difficult matchup for me.  Self-proclaimed Keeper n00b, I am.  Christiaan played very well and was a great opponent--congratulations on the much-deserved win!

@ Fishhead:

Quote  We talked a bit after the game about kl0wn's (was it kl0wn?) theory of FoW'ing the Ritual just as a means to prevent the explosive start.

I think it was MolotDET--the thread is in the EVF somewhere or another.
kl0wn
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 04:48:26 pm »

Quote from: Fishhead+Feb. 03 2003,12:01
Quote (Fishhead @ Feb. 03 2003,12:01)We talked a bit after the game about kl0wn's (was it kl0wn?) theory of FoW'ing the Ritual just as a means to prevent the explosive start.
Yeah, that wasn't me. You never want to Force the Ritual against Mask when you can wait and actually counter the Mask.

Forceing the first turn Ritual is a common play against Suicide though, since it often means a Duress/Hymn is coming your way. Its also tempo advantage.

Regarding Cunning Wish in place of Recoil: Wish is too slow. Add to that the fact that you can't pitch it to Unmask and it suckles the testes.

Regarding Trinity vs. Mask: I've only played the matchup once (against hulk3rules; I lost to Planar Void as well) since I've been the only person who plays either deck in my environment.

I do have this to say about it though: Side into the Oath Combo, drop Oath early, counter every Planar Void and kill every lethal creature until you have Oath on the table. That's pretty much my strategy.
Saucemaster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 06:05:17 pm »

@Vegeta2711:

C & J Collectibles
5454C Central
Newark, California 94560
(510) 796-8790

It's in Newark, not Fremont, but we'd love to see you there if you can make it.  C&J's holds Type 1 tournaments every Thursday @ 6:30pm; typically we have between 15 and 20 players, some quite strong, some not so much.  The standings are swiss-based, i.e. no cut to T8 or T4, etc.

@kl0wn: yeah, that's pretty much my initial reaction to the matchup, too.  I posted a reply in the Trinity thread (EVF) if you're interested in discussing the Mask matchup further.
Vegeta2711
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 07:22:30 pm »

Ah cool. Thanks for the heads up Sauce.

If I can get a decent deck togheter (Or if someone wants to loan me one Wink) I'll show up sometime in the near future.
Fishhead
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 07:42:48 pm »

Quote Forceing the first turn Ritual is a common play against Suicide though, since it often means a Duress/Hymn is coming your way. Its also tempo advantage.

Remember, this is a Combo deck talking about FoW'ing the Ritual, not Keeper.  He went into the matchup very confident because he generally felt he killed on turn 3 or so.  (Certainly, he took out the Academy deck in the tournament, so he's comparable in speed.)  

Anyway we started discussing whether that FoW would have bought him enough time to go Combo on me if I hadnt Duress'd it out of his hand.  In that particular case, I would have had to drop Mask on turn 2 and then Dread on 3 if he FoWs my Ritual.  And I dont get to clear the way with Duress in case he draws a second FoW.  I cant kill him until turn 5 then, which is not so good for me.  Of course, I get to draw a couple more cards between turn 1 and turn 5, so who knows how it would turn out.  As it was, I smashed him flat with a God Hand which happened to depend on the Ritual.

Quote Regarding Cunning Wish in place of Recoil: Wish is too slow. Add to that the fact that you can't pitch it to Unmask and it suckles the testes.

Hmm, I hadnt thought about the Unmask non-synergy, but that situation never came up.  I did get to Wish for a Funeral Charm (random testing, so-so) and +2/-1 Aluren's Cavern Harpy away so I could swing with Hyppie.  (Edict would have worked too.)  Not enough games to know anything really, but I felt fine with the Wish.

The other thought I had on the Wish is that I dont expect to need 6 mana to Recoil; I will Wish EoT and then Recoil on my turn.  Generally, I am expecting to use it against Moat - fetching Edict or Smother would probably do against a chump blocker.

Those are my impressions after playing it anyway.  OTOH, Christiaan didnt jump up and down with amazement at my Tech when I revealed the Wish to him.  So maybe I'm just inordinately fond of the idea.

Quote I'll show up sometime in the near future.

Cool, the more the merrier.
Big Blue
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 09:33:12 am »

I have no experience against Mask, but I do have some experience with Trinity against aggro decks with graveyard hate - all I can say is that, yes, you should side the KrOathan engine; but you could consider leaving 1 Morphling in the deck.

I did this e.g. against a Sui deck where I knew the SB (4 Crypts), and it was ok - either you beat him with Morphling or, if you wish (and no Crypt is on the table), you can just block once kill Morphling and Oath into the combo. Moreover, if he turns out to be Crypt-flooded (or whatever graveyard hate he is packing) this just means less active cards for him and chances are that you have enough time to hard-cast the combo.

Against Mask Morphling maybe is not enough - so probably I'd just side in the combo and all D-Blows/Naturalizes that I can manage to find between SB and deck (usually 2) and try to counter his attempts of removing my graveyard.
MGPotter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2003, 01:10:18 pm »

I keep hoping that I'll have time to go by C&J's one Thursday night since I work in Fremont and live in Pleasanton.  It isn't that far out of my way to go to Newark, I just need to go up 880 instead of 680.

I find it funny that many people complain about not finding T1 tournaments around and I work less than 10 minutes away from one and live less than 5 minutes away from regular Type 1.5 tournaments (actually counts towards Vintage ratings - in Pleasanton).

Michael
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: