Is city of solitude any good as a SB card?

(1/2) > >>

Anonymous:
I was just wondering if you guys think city of solitude would be any good in a deck like PT funk or R/G zoo.  Against counter heavy decks like urphid or bbs it seems like it would be pretty good.  I'm not sure if it would be better then choke but it seems like it could be sometimes since with choke they can still use their lands once before they become locked.  The only downfall i can see is that you can't regenerate your river boas on their turn or cast burn spells eot.

Anonymous:
I like it for combo, but I don't think it really benefits your overall strategy that much with aggro, and is a little too slow. On their turn they just dig for a disenchant and get rid of it.

I personally like choke better if I am going to blue hose, but am not sure if removing 4 threats with legs for 4 chokes is really beneficial to my deck. While a choke is out, it may help your other threats land. But a choke (or city) will never do any damage itself.

Some weeks I run 4 chokes, some weeks I don't run any. I cannot really say if one is vastly better than the other.

Anonymous:
if you can search for a disenchant to get rid of the city of solitude then you can search for a disenchant to get rid of the choke too... I mean you COULD resolve a choke while all their lands are tapped out. But i don't see that happening too often and even then they can still drop land and moxen to cast stuff.  At least with the city they will have to wish for an allay and cast it during their turn so that they will be tapped out on your turn.  Of course there's an infinite number of scenarios that could happen.  But i'm assuming the city of solitude is better against GAT then choke? any other thoughts?

Anonymous:
Quote from: Guest+April 04 2003,01:33

Quote (Guest @ April 04 2003,01:33)if you can search for a disenchant to get rid of the city of solitude then you can search for a disenchant to get rid of the choke too... I mean you COULD resolve a choke while all their lands are tapped out. But i don't see that happening too often and even then they can still drop land and moxen to cast stuff.  At least with the city they will have to wish for an allay and cast it during their turn so that they will be tapped out on your turn.  Of course there's an infinite number of scenarios that could happen.  But i'm assuming the city of solitude is better against GAT then choke? any other thoughts?
The whole point is cast a choke when they tap out. It at least gives you a few turns free reign.

City is worthless vs. grow a tog. They will go off on their turn, draw 20 cards, and berserk for 100 damage.

Your only hope of getting an edict off will not happen. (not that it will anyways once they go off and draw 20 cards).

Against grow a tog you don't want a stupid color hoser. You want more threats that can win the game.

ZoneSeek:
I play Enchantress, which is renowned for being 95% Sorcery speed. I also play City of Solitude, but yes, it gets boarded out vs. Gro-atog. I dare not risk giving up my 5% Instant speed. It's quite, quite dead. So, even in a case of a deck with few effects that matter under a City of Solitude, it's not a good card.

However, against BBS or Keeper, City of Solitude can be very nice so long as you don't hose yourself playing it. I also personally play both Choke and City of Solitude, and will tutor for either in any given situation.

I would probably it wouldn't be worth it vs. those decks to board in a 3cc enchantment that doesn't turn sideways, but I admit I know very little about them. I suppose if it seals the deal, why not, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page