TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 04:29:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Thor's Hammer, 7/16/05 ("first" place)  (Read 2960 times)
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:42 pm »

Thor's Hammer, Saturday 1.5 (July 16th, 2005)
Six players, straight swiss (three rounds)

I arrive at 11:55 for the noon tournament. Every table was full of that Warhammer 401(k) game. I think I see a guy who used to live in the co-op with me two years ago (it turns out to be him after all). He doesn't see me or notice me. I take up residence on a leather couch in the back corner. Some kid sits down next to me and thumbs through his deck. I leaf through The Plot, by Will Eisner, a graphic novel which I read yesterday at Barnes and Noble depicting the true origin of one of the most famous and deadly hoaxes of all time, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. The kid's dad comes over, talks about getting him "some swords". I don't know if he's referring to StP or SoFI.

There's a lot of general bustle as the Warhammer people roll dice and yell "Charge!" A portly fella does a funny little waddle-dance. The kid leaves. I notice he has a Saviors of Kamigawa shirt on.

It's a biggish place, maybe 2000 square feet (40' by 50'), bright and cool, with twelve fans, though after the storms of the last two days, it's a beautiful 79 (26 C) outside instead of the usual 102 (39 C). I really like how this shirt sits on me, I should wear it more often. I notice my handwriting is atrocious, the result of months spent on a keyboard and without pen in hand.

The tournament begins. We have six people.

The metagame:

1 High Tide (Matt)
1 Tradewind/Opposition (Ken)
1 Kiki-Jiki/Opposition (John)
1 Life.dec feat. Angels and Armadillo Cloaks (Addison)
1 Black/red aggro (Andy)
1 Ankh Sligh (Woodrow)

ROUND ONE
vs. Ken, with Tradewind/Opposition
Game One: I win the die roll and play. At first I think he is playing Survival - after all, he played forests, Trops, Bops, and Elves. I wondered what fevered dream led him to put Æther Spellbomb in Survival, though. I half expected Auriok Salvagers to come out and play. My notes on this game were extensive: he played Strand->Trop, Llanowar Elf. Wooded Foothills->Trop, BoP. Forest, Sylvan Library, Æther Spellbomb (cracks to draw). Opposition, which I let resolve because I have Turnabouts. Winter Orb, which I fight over but lose. I concede to Orb/Opp/creatures.

I sideboard thusly: +2 Force of Will, +1 Echoing Truth, -1 Diminishing Returns, -2 Cunning Wish

Game two is similar. He resolves an Opposition and a Deranged Hermit. I have to try and go off, but I fail (I have Mystical Tutor and untapping cards but neither Tide nor Returns, and my Ideas Unbound fizzles). He also brought in both Dazes and Pyroblasts, making this matchup nigh-unwinnable.

At some point in this match I have to use Ideas Unbound to set up, always a dicey proposition. After ditching the obvious, I am left with D.Returns, Tide, Tide, Turnabout, Turnabout, FoW and have to discard one more card yet. I end up ditching the spare Tide but I agonize over this decision for several minutes.

ROUND TWO
vs. Woodrow, with Ankh Sligh
He predicts as he sits down that whoever goes first will win. I say, we shall see, and I mention how he must know what I'm playing since his round was over so fast. He mentions that if I glance at his score sheet I'll know what he's playing, and I do, and it's full of "Bolt, Mogg" so I surmise red.

Game One: I look at my tempting hand of four Island, fetch, Cloud, Mystical. But I figure I won't live to play all those lands so I paris. He plays a Grim Lavamancer then an Ankh. I wonder how the card that most loves fetchlands coexists with the card that most hates them. I set up a good hand, holding back Sea. I have a Tide, a Merchant Scroll I intend to spend my third turn using to get another Tide, and some untaps/draw spells. But on my third turn I draw a Tide anyway and just Tendrils for 26. I am now living in fear of REBs and Scalds from the board. He laments how useless his Pithing Needles are (he put them in just for Opposition).

I sideboard -3 Wish, +3 BEB. I think abot bringing in Truth for Scald but decide against it.

Game Two:
I take some Ankh hits and at one point I feel compelled to go off at 12 life, but I have to push a fetch through an Ankh to do it. I fizzle and mana burn to 6, then he burns me out with double Incinerate.

Game Three:
He parises a one land hand into a weak hand. He never gets more than two land, and is slowly beating me to death with two Mogg Fanatics. I play it safe by Turnabouting his lands EOT to shut off REBs, then go off handily.

ROUND THREE
vs. John, with KikiJiki/Opposition
Game One: I simply do not get my shit together and he beats me up with Seeker of Skybreak, Spore Frog, and a Deranged Hermit.

Game Two: He utterly fails to get HIS shit together and I go off at 19 life through a Force of Will. I have to go off on four Islands, and use a Brain Freeze.

Game Three: Again he beats me about the head and shoulders with Seeker of Skybreak and Spore Frog. I Force a Hermit at some point. I sit on my hand of mostly mana engine and an Ideas Unbound for several turns, trying to find some more reliable draw. three damage a turn isn't much pressure anyway. Eventually I Scroll for a Wish, Wish for a Tutor, and Tutor for a Returns, then go off through a Counterspell. This game featured triple Underground Sea on my part and triple Kiki-Jiki on his. Razz

So after three rounds, the unthinkable has happened: we have FOUR 2-1s. I tie for first on tiebreakers, worth four packs. I convince the store owner to let me get a pack of Dragon Shield sleeves instead of packs (which must be from in-print expansions). I choose blue, andthey are everything I hoped they would be.

The decklist:

//Mana Engine
3 High Tide
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Turnabout
2 Peregrine Drake
1 Snap

//Draw spells
4 Diminishing Returns
4 Ideas Unbound

//Findit, findit
4 Brainstorm
4 Impulse
3 Merchant Scroll
3 Cunning Wish
1 Mystical Tutor

//Miscellany
2 Force of Will
2 Tendrils of Agony

//Lands
4 Underground Sea
2 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Bloodstained Mire
11 Island

//Helps me go off
SB: 1 High Tide
SB: 1 Snap
SB: 1 Mystical Tutor

//Utility
SB: 3 Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 2 Force of Will
SB: 1 Echoing Truth

//Anti-control
SB: 4 Ophidian
SB: 2 Brain Freeze

The phids tech (blatantly stolen from Finkel's old list) were totally dead, but against U/W or monoblue control they would have been awesome after the opponent sides out all their creature control. I really wanted to squeeze one Misdiretcion in but couldn't. I also figured I would never need Wish->Peer Through Depths while going off so I dropped that.

Not that many people play Wasteland, so I figured I'd add black (the ankh sligh guy did btu otherwise no). Tendrils as the kill makes Returns spectacular, since now the reshuffle doesn't undo my storm card. I wanted to fit a third FoW main but the decklist was incredibly tight. I'm very glad I dropped the X draw spells (Prosperity and Braingeyser). I don't know whether Ideas Unbound or Meditate would be better. I should include a Meditate in the board to Wish for, but over what?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:14:22 pm by Matt » Logged

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 01:07:45 am »

Awesome report Matt! Smile But what the hell are 2 FoW doing in the sideboard? And are the USeas new? I thought you only owned 1 Tropical Island.

Quote from: Matt
I notice he has a Saviors of Kamigawa shirt on.
:wtfeyebrow: How humiliating.... I would normally be appalled by hate crimes against nerds, but if one should befall this fella', I'd have to say he had it coming to him.

I wondered what fevered dream led him to put Æther Spellbomb in Survival, though. I half expected Auriok Salvagers to come out and play.
Ha! Smile

I convince the store owner to let me get a pack of Dragon Shield sleeves instead of packs ... I choose blue, andthey are everything I hoped they would be.
Too bad he didn't have Yanoman Gunmetal in stock = Sleeves of champions.

I should include a Meditate in the board to Wish for, but over what?
Like you said, those Phids weren't pulling their weight.

Good job.

noitcelfeRmaeT||TeamReflection - .gniyd ysub si ,nrob gnieb ysub ton eH
:nraw ot sevorp ,sdrow detsaw syalp nroh wolloh ehT
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:33:12 am »

Quote from: bardo_trout
Awesome report Matt! Smile But what the hell are 2 FoW doing in the sideboard? And are the USeas new? I thought you only owned 1 Tropical Island.

He's been buying them with store credit Very Happy.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 02:07:19 pm »

Lol, no, I'm borrowing them and four Volcanic Island from a friend who never plays. I had those Forces in the sideboard for a complex reason.

Against control, I did want the extra counters. Against aggro, not so much. What am I going to Force, a Ball Lightning? That might save me for a turn but losing two cards from my hand is also going to slow me down by a turn. Forces are awful against aggro (they're also not hotcakes mid-combo). The only things I really need to guard against from aggro game one is stuff like Armageddon (if Geddon didn't exist I might run no maindeck Forces at all!). I knew, however, that I would want those Forces for certain matchups, so I had to include them somewhere.

The SoK-shirtted kid was actually nice. He (Addison) and his dad (Andy) were in from San Angelo, a small town which is exactly in the dead center of Nowhere. For some idea of the distance involved, Austin to San Marcos is a 50 minute trip, and Austin to Dallas is 3.5 hours.

Too bad he didn't have Yanoman Gunmetal in stock = Sleeves of champions.
They actually might have. I didn't check. I'm very happy with the Dragon Shields, though.

Like you said, those Phids weren't pulling their weight.
Well, I happened to not run into control decks, but if I had then they would have been golden. Had one person made a different deck choice, the BEBs would have been just as dead, but they need to remain! Going to just 3 Phids could work though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 02:13:04 pm by Matt » Logged

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Dzy
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 10:58:21 am »

Nice report Very Happy

I know for sure you don't play block or standard, because of this:

This game featured triple Underground Sea on my part

Thats always nice

and triple Kiki-Jiki on his.

Was there a mirror gallery in play? If not... kiki-jiki is Legendary ^^

Nice to see you're doing so well with the deck Smile
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:03:09 am »

No no, they were all in his hand, with no Vial or anything to get them into play. I know he had them because his buddy said "oh man what a great hand" real sarcastic-like, then when I Returns'ed, he complained "My hand was three Kiki-Jiki, and you just drew me into two". I even suggested Mirror Gallery to him. ;D

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Dzy
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 03:02:24 pm »

Ah ok, my bad Razz
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 03:29:01 pm »

Matt, good job with the deck, and typing up this fairly detailed report. However, I must say that I'm confused as to why a 6 man tournament requires, or is even worthy, of a tournament report (like the 11 man tourney reported before it). Literally ANY deck could win a 6 person tournament.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 04:18:18 pm »

I type up a report on just about all my tournaments, for my own edification as well as to let people know what it's like around here.

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:05 pm »

Matt, good job with the deck, and typing up this fairly detailed report. However, I must say that I'm confused as to why a 6 man tournament requires, or is even worthy, of a tournament report (like the 11 man tourney reported before it). Literally ANY deck could win a 6 person tournament.
Tournament reports are what Legacy needs more than any other writing. As I've said elsewhere, we don't need people to break the format, we need people to write about their experiences with the format, and nothing does that better than an entertaining tournament report.

On-topic, yet still off-topic...
Quote from: Matt
The SoK-shirtted kid was actually nice.
Oh, I'm sure he was, many nerds are. I was just commenting dorky wearing a MtG shirt is anywhere, save the privacy of one's own home. It's even worse than having some lame online username like: "Force_of_Will69" or some shit. I feel embarrased for the kid and I'm sitting a comfortable 1,500 miles away.  Confused

Keep up the good work Matt. Smile

Danzig
Basic User

Coimhad fearg fhear na foighde.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 11:13:07 am »

There goes my TMD shirt.

Team Broken - Waiting for Smmenen to return Dark Rituals since 2004.
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 11:21:11 am »

There goes my TMD shirt.
A TMD shirt is suitably rogue and niche enough that I think it's alright to wear that outside the home. At vintage events, TMD is a clique unto itself. But a 'Wizards of the Coast' shirt, however, would be extraordinarily lame. And something like a 'Star City Games' shirt is really pushing it. Wink
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 12:28:18 pm by bardo_trout » Logged

The Exalted
Basic User

guillaumeouimet@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 05:17:37 pm »

What about a DCI t-shirt ? These are pretty popular in Quebec but I still don't know wich category it takes.

I totally agree that WotC t-shirts are only for home or when you got to paint a wall or something.

Good job Matt ! Next friday, I'm gonna try this deck out in Montreal. After what I'll do a small report of the event ! I tested the deck and ALWAYS win on turn four (even with mulligans). This deck is pretty solid.

--- Team CRET ---
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: