TheManaDrain.com
January 23, 2020, 10:01:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Place, 10 Proxy For a Mana Drain- July 16th, Charleston, SC  (Read 1175 times)
jeremy_78
Basic User

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:28:07 am »

1st Place, 10 Proxy For a Mana Drain- July 16th, Charleston, SC
31 People, 5 Rounds of swiss, with cut to the top 8
I have been fairly successful late last year and the beginning of this year, winning two power tourney’s and placing in a few top 4’s.  Then I hit a wall in the months of April and May, I ran out of ideas and because of difficulties in my personal life I was very distracted.  So basically I did not look at a magic card from May and June.  I moved down to the Deep South, and wasn’t sure that there was a vintage circuit down here.  I started scouring the web and found a local shop.  They were mostly T2 players, but some detective work led me to Morning Star games in Savannah.  There they had a T1 seen but it hasn’t been big in a while.  From there I learn of a store that was having a T1 10 proxy for an English Drain in Charleston, SC.  This is only 180 miles away on the interstate, so it’s really not the far of a trip.  The secondary prize support is really good that is one of the deciphering factors in my decision to go.
   I start play testing and have come to a decision to play one of two decks, Slaver or workshop aggro.  I decided to go with slaver because I haven’t played with drains in a long time.  After some testing with my team, I@n suggests that I play tog because of the shop heavy Meta it is suppose to be down here.  So I start toying around with it and surprised with the speed of it.  I cut out the Deeps because they are too slow for the current environment.  I also wanted a kill condition that didn’t involve the graveyard.  I took an old T1Tog list that I@n used in Chi-town to win a Mox.

T1T
Mana 23
4 Delta
1 Strand
4 Underground
3 Volcanic
3 Islands
1 LoA
5 Moxen
1 Lotus
1 Mana Crypt

Draw 20
1 Ancestral
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical
2 Deep Analysis
3 Intuition
4 AK’s
4 Brainstorm
4 Cunning Wish

Disruption 12
4 FoW
4 Drains
3 Duress
1 E.E.

Broken Goodness 3
1 Yawg Will
1 Time walk
1 Mind twist

Kill 2
Tog

I felt the bulk of the list is still solid, and since the Meta is most likely pretty random, except for the shop decks, but I feel tog has a good match up Vs shop anyway.  I removed the two Deep’s and 1 Tog for 1 Gifts, 1 Colossus, and 1 Tinker.  I wanted a win that didn’t use the yard, so I felt Colossus was strong.  And most people wouldn’t see it coming in tog.  Gifts is there because it’s a broken card and every deck with drain should run at least 1 copy.  At the very least it will net you two broken cards.  I did some testing and wasn’t seeing fetch lands as often as I wanted so I decided to up the count.  The list I decided to run was as follows:

Tog 2k5

Mana 23
3 Polluted Delta’s
3 Flooded Strand
3 Underground Sea
3 Volcanic Island
3 Island
1 LoA
5 Moxen
1 Lotus
1 Sol Ring

Draw/Tutor 19
1 Ancestral
4 Brainstorm
4 AK’s
3 Intuition
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Gifts Ungiven
4 Cunning Wish

Distruption 11
4 FoW
4 Drains
3 Duress

Utility 1
E.E.

Broken Stuff 4
1 Mindtwist (In deck Bc/ of random Meta, which had lots of random Aggro)
1 Yawg Will
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker

Big Guys
1 Tog
1 Colossus

I felt the maindeck is strong for the current meta, except for Mindtwist, that is purely a Meta call.  If I were to play at SCG with lots of Misdirections running around, I would probably cut it for another duress or E.E.  The second question was what to make the SB look like.  The obvious were added bc/ of the shop heavy Meta 2 Rack and Ruin, 1 Hurkyl’s, Then 2 ReB’s are there bc/ of control, 1 Pyroblast for Mages in opposition to running 3 ReB’s.  The fact is there for a drain target.  I added the Vamp bc/ it lets me win faster, and after playtesting on MWS I would often wish for it when it wasn’t there.  The 2 shackles are in the SB for Random aggro.  Lava Darts there for welders, and the 2 Purges are for Gift decks.  So the SB went something like this:

2 RnR
1 Hurkyls
2 ReBs
1 Pyrobast
2 Coffin Purges
2 Shackles
1 FoF
1 Vamp Tutor
1 Lava Dart
1 Echoing Truth
1 Fling

The week Leading up to the Tourney I end up pulling my muscle in my back, so a lot of the tourney is blurry due to the intense pain I was in.

Match 1 UW Oath
Game 1
He wins the Die roll and opts to go 1st.  He ends up mulling to 5, then dropping a tundra and passing the turn.  I go Lotus, mox, island pass.  He drops an orchard and lays an Oath, I see that he has three cards in hand and is tapped out so I brake lotus for Intuition and get AK’s.  I usually won’t do this in an AK mirror but I have the 4th in my hand, and Have FoW.  I AK for three and decided to save my FoW for his draw, bc/ I got Walk and E.E.  He passes I drop Land, Mox, AK for 4 then walk.  Next turn I set EE and Blow it for two, Pass the Turn.  The end of his Turn I Ancestral, then Mystical for Yawg will and he scoops.
Game 2. 
He goes first again.  I keep a decent hand with Intuition, Brainstorm and FoW.  We play draw go for a while, I hit a few brainstorms and am able to draw into some drains.  He plays oath with no orchard.  We have a counter war and I win due to ReB.  Next turn I draw Tog and decide to play him bc/ Bt/ moxes and land I have enough mana to leave UU open, I then pass the turn.  He draws and lets me go.  I swing with tog and pass.  The end of turn I intuition, Two my AK’s go to the yard, he tries to play his, I can remove mine with tog, but first I try brainstorming for FoW bc/ I want the tog food, I get FoW and stop his AK and proceed to draw 4.  I only AK’d in this situation bc/ Tog was on the board and I could remove them.  I get mystical, off the AK’s and decide to go for Yawg Will bc/ he only has 2 cards in hand and lost a counter war.  I drop will he scoops.
Record 1-0
Match Count 2-0

Match 1  FCG
Game 1
I win the roll and drop Mox, Lotus, Land and pass the turn.  He sneaks out an early food chain.  I ancestral, then proceed to my turn.  I pass, He tries to play recruiter, I drain, he then goes to pass, I Intuition for AKs and draw cards.  I then Mystcal for Yawg will during upkeep and have a massive will.  I draw into walk on the will turn.  My walk turn isn’t that exciting but it allows me to cunning wish for Echoing truth and bounce his Food Cain back, and duress it away.  He then sneaks a recruiter through, bc I am tapped out and is able to stack his deck.  My next turn I play land and pass the turn.  He plays goblin matron I can drain, but decide not too, bc/ I am holding Mindtwist and have enough mana to twist his whole hand away next turn.  I twist away all of the critters during my turn and have a mana open to brainstorm.  He drops a land attacks me and passes the turn.  I draw into tog and play him.  He draws and passes.  I start swinging with tog.  At this point I have a hand chalked full of counters but no draw spells.  Three turns pass and they go matron, drain, me burn, siege gang, FoW, Matron drain, and Kiki-Jiki drain, then I almost have enough to kill him and he has one block left and he plays a Piledriver, I don’t like this guy, and I am at 1, I have a land and a drain.  I do a blind drain, I have drawn land  5 turns in a row, if I draw business spell I can win.  I top deck a cunning wish and get lava dart.  I dart away his lone skirk prospector and sac a volcanic island to ping him.  I then attack with a lethal Atog.
G2 I SB out my three duress for 2 Shackles and FoF.  He goes first and drops a land and passes the turn.  I go Jet, Emerald, Fetch land.  I pass the turn, he drops another land and plays a tormod’s crypt (this card is a pain in the ass for tog), I cunning wish for Vampiric tutor.  During my upkeep I vamp for tinker, then play a land and tinker out the big guy, now I am not too worried about the crypt.  I swing a couple times and win.
Record 2-0 (4-0)

Match 3 The riddler
Game 1
The third match I am playing a shop deck, I knew this Meta to be heavy shop so I am well prepared for it.  He wins the die roll and drops a shop, vault, sol ring then trisk.  I go land, Mox, Mox and pass.  Its fun not playing blue so I cunning wish at the end of his turn and get vamp.  I then vamp for tinker and bring out the big man.  I am not too worried bc/ I have one FoW and will save it for Dup, or tangle wire.  He cant race the big guy.
Game 2
I keep a Mediocre hand with LoA, Sea, and Duress.  Out of fear of wastelands I opt not to duress 1st turn and choose to wait to brainstorm.  He drops mask 1st turn and I brainstorm for FoW and don’t find it, all I see is Intuition and Brainstorm.  Puts some artifact acceleration and plays a critter and chalice for 1 and passes.  I draw into my useless brainstorm and play my library.  He draws a wasteland and wastes my sea, and flips his guy, I scoop, I can’t race.
Game 3
This game is a battle.  He has a lot of business spells off the bat.  He gets a chalice for 2 out right away, this hurts a lot.  I am able to draw some cards off ancestral.  He tries to play Karn and I FoW.  He then drops a smokestack.  My hand is chalked full of land so I play into his stacks for a while to keep him sacking.  He leaves it set at two and is able to get a crucible out.  Eventually he sacks his stack after I go to no permanents, all this time he is laughing at me for floating mana into my draw step.  I am able to regain a manabase on the board bc/ I drew a ton of land then I rack and ruin his crucible and chalice for two.  He then drops a cap and plays it.  Luckily by now I have tog in my hand.  He grabs, E.E. Titan and sol ring for some reason, he was going to grab cunning wish but to his surprise I run 4 (why not there amazing).  He then wastes a volcanic and tries to play tangle wire, and I force.  I play my underground sea that I was holding on too and drop tog.  By now the graveyard is full of food and I have been holding moxes since there is a chalice for 0.  He draws and passes, I attack for 1, I need one more draw to do it.  He plays a land and passes and asks me if I can kill him and I count it out and swing for the win.
3-0 (6-1)
Game 4
At this point I am tied for the best record and can most likely ID in so we Draw.
Game 5
I ID into the top 8 at this point.

Top 8
RGb Beats
Game 1
I win the die roll and opt to go 1st.  He has RG beats with a splash of black for edicts and duress, so I play against some duals I haven’t seen in a while, Badlands and bayous.  I through down Lotus, Jet and land and sit there thinking, from watching this guy play before I know he’s playing with Kird apes so I decided to be a bad player and mind twist him for 4 on the first turn.  To my delight I grab Taiga, Taiga, Oktubu the damn dirty ape and, River Boa.  I am quite pleased. He drops a forest and says go, I respond buy saying top deck and he s says no it was in his hand.  I play a land and pass.  He tries to drop a Boa and I drain then dump that into intuition.  I grab AK’s bc/ that is what you usually Intuition for.  Then I play a land, and pass, at the end of his turn I AK and draw into ancestral and AK #4.  I play some moxes and AK for 4.  I walk then Ancestral, I get Yawg will and he scoops.
Game2
He goes first and leads with kird ape.  What this match boils down to is me trying very hard not to win.  1st off I gifts and get 2 broken cards.  I have a big yawg will, but do not find a kill, I forget to brainstorm colossus back before tinker, so I lose to Mox Monkey and Kird ape.
Game 3
I go first and am not happy with How I did last game.  I keep a solid hand with 2 fetches, brainstorm and a drain.  I drop a land and pass.  I get Drain online and am able to drain a 2 casting cost creature I uses the accel to draw cards eventually leading to a big will and tinkered out fat guy.  He brought in a lot of hate for tog and wasn’t expecting the big guy.
Record 4-0-2 (8-2)
Top 4 Meandeck Gifts
Game 1
This is a matchup that I have tested against and feel slightly comfortable playing against.  I am prepared for this matchup in the SB and I feel that MD Gifts is very solid but bc/ of the complexity of the deck most ppl cannot play it optimally.  My notes aren’t great for this match bc/ it happen very late in the night.  The MD gifts player had a 2hr Top 8 matchup against Parfait.  I am able to bait his counters and eventually drain a gifts and dump that into Intuition and AK’s.  Basically I out drew him this game and had a massive will in which he scooped to. 
Game 2
I side out twist, 1 duress and E.E. for 1 Purge and 2 ReBs.  This game is played out much like the 1st game.  I am able to bait most of his counters to the point where he tries to gifts without counter back up.  I then am able to tinker out the big guy, and walk.  I then swing, duress, and cunning wish for fling and through colossus at him not giving him another turn to get a bounce spell.  I would have never used fling in this match up without knowing what was in his hand.
Record
5-0-2 (10-2)
Finals
It’s almost 11pm and the guy says that he has to get home to his ten yr old son, and asks to split.  Because I am a nice guy I offer the split, he agrees to take the set of FoW’s for second place and some stuff from my binder to make up the $40 dollar difference for the drain.  All and all it was a fun tournament, it was good to play with drains again after trying different archetypes for a while, in my opinion they are the most consistent of the big 4 unrestricted cards (Shops, Drains, Bazaars and Dark Ritual)

One the Deck choices and SB

I used the lone gifts a few times, once in the AK mirror against oath and once against RG beats.  I brought in the shackles against FCG and RG, though it didn’t come up, I felt it would have been a strong card.  It seems better then old man right now, because fish isn’t running null rod anymore.  I did like the Tinker/Colossus, it gives tog an early opps I win factor.  He is also helpful against aggro decks that are usually a tough matchup for tog.  Most ppl don’t expect him in tog.  The extra purge is nice in the gifts matchup, because in my testing it allows you to put one in your deck so you can stack it in intuition if needed.  I wanted to draw the shackles so bad when I brought them in, they seem like they would be fun to use.  I testing there were pretty solid.  I don’t know how good they would be against fish post sb, because of Kyra though.  As for the tournament, the meta was very random, but for the most part I played some of the best players there piloting decent decks, Oath, The Riddler, FCG, and Gifts.  Even RG beats can be a hard matchup for Tog at times (plus he ran 4 ReBs and 1 pyro in the SB).  The trading was great and the people were cool.  I got a lot of neat foil stuff, all and all my return to magic in the south was a fun time. 

Dying does not matter.  It is how you die that does.
dad
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 02:38:25 pm »

First, thanks for coming.  I hope we can put on another tournament and get an even bigger crowd.  Sorry I had to split, but my son (10 months, not years) can tire my wife out.

One question about your deck, would it be worth cutting one Wish for Gush?
jeremy_78
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:48:20 pm »

I used to play gush, towards the end of last year, but the lost of tempo creates pushed me away from it.  I didn't mind the gifts but to be honest I only used it a few times.  It is not as bad as everyone is giving it credit for in tog.  It is not totally broken as it is with Gifts decks but it is sold.  If I was gonna change gifts I would probably make it a FoF instead, but then I would probably add another draw target to the SB.  Hopefully we ll have another tournament that I can make it too soon, I had a great time and met some great ppl.  It was nice being able to play vintage, since I haven't picked up a card since May.  Also belated congradulations on having the child I thought you said that he was 10 yrs old.  I look forward to meeting the Green Dragon Crew again.

Jeremy

Dying does not matter.  It is how you die that does.
MrBeichner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:55:15 pm »

Congradulations and thanks for coming.  We were very happy with the tournout to this (30+) and hopefully this can become a fairly regular thing.   Since we actually have a good local judge and the store is supporting the tournies we should be able to do one of these every 6 weeks to two months with the goal of doing a monthly type 1 eventually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: