TheManaDrain.com
May 21, 2019, 06:36:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The State of the "Set in Progress"  (Read 4774 times)
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:16:40 pm »

Okay, I am creating this thread to figure out from people what is actually going on with the finalized set that is being created. I keep hearing different things about it, such as:

1. An Aztec setting, based on B/G and R/W color combos and poison counters.
2. The almost complete set that needed more big creatures, and was close to having a spoiler. This one had keywords from a lot of different sets, including kicker and morph.

In addition to these two things, it seems like right now on the boards a third concept for a set is being fleshed out, whether intentionally or unintentionally. This one looks like a set based around cascade and pack, and seems to look more interesting than the previous two ideas. So, my point is this: What is going on with the set in progress? Personally, I would support a set based aoround these two keywords, started from scratch from the master list, since the other set seems to have died. What is going on with the set?
Jacob Orlove
Official Time Traveller of TMD
Administrator
Basic User

When am I?

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:11:34 pm »

We have an almost finished set using a lot of the earlier designed cards. That one is basically completed at this point--we just have to playtest the cards and such. I'm not sure exactly who among Matt and Ephraim have all the spreadsheets for it.

An aztec set was proposed, and people have been creating cards for it intermittently.

Cascade is definitely deep enough to span an entire block with no trouble, but we haven't really focused on what sets we want to work on next. We could make our second set #1 in its own block, or we could release non-wizards sized sets, or anything.

Team Meandeck: O Lord,
Guard my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking guile.
To those who slander me, let me give no heed.
May my soul be humble and forgiving to all.
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:11:53 pm »

I never really liked the Aztec set, but yeah that one seems to be dormant. If people want to keep making cards for it that's fine but it won't be a real set until we have enough cards accumulated (like 200 or so) so until then it's a long-termproject.

The other set has been essentially completed (95%) for like nine months now, but Jacob and Bram and I have been really busy. And of course, just getting a spoiler isn't enough, it also has to be tested, and for that we need apprentice patches or mws libraries, which is the area wherein real holdup is taking place.

The pack/cascade one isn't a sure thing. I definitely like Cascade but so far the pack cards have been underwhelming. There's no overt push to make these into a set right now, and if I had to choose where to direct efforts I would want to get the first set out the door.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 03:36:20 pm »

I'd be glad to help with the playtesting of the almost completed set, PM if I can help with anything. I don't need anything fancy to playtest, just give me a spoiler and I'll print out proxies to test with.
MrZuccinniHead
Basic User

ShepherdOfSharks
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:57:18 am »

I'd be glad to help with the playtesting of the almost completed set, PM if I can help with anything. I don't need anything fancy to playtest, just give me a spoiler and I'll print out proxies to test with.

Yeah, you sound like me about 2 months ago.  They are still too disorganized for testing so I never got to.

Scopeless on mIRC

Quote from: Hi-Val talking about a girl covering herself with chrome moxen
I'd like to imprint My Cock on that. If she handles it right, it makes white mana.
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 03:34:17 pm »

I can test, and if we get an apprentice patch set up (I doubt most of us have registered MWS), we can test online.  Actually, I think the MTGeditors can export to apprentice.  Has anyone done that, or should I go ahead and make an apprentice patch?

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:46:55 pm »

I think you can use the MWS sets that registered users make even if you're not registered yourself.

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Jacob Orlove
Official Time Traveller of TMD
Administrator
Basic User

When am I?

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 06:27:36 pm »

I think you can use the MWS sets that registered users make even if you're not registered yourself.
Yeah, otherwise you'd be unable to add patches for the new expansions that come out.

Team Meandeck: O Lord,
Guard my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking guile.
To those who slander me, let me give no heed.
May my soul be humble and forgiving to all.
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 06:56:23 pm »

Quote from: Anusien
I can test, and if we get an apprentice patch set up (I doubt most of us have registered MWS), we can test online.  Actually, I think the MTGeditors can export to apprentice.  Has anyone done that, or should I go ahead and make an apprentice patch?

Sounds like a solid offer to me...

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 12:13:42 am »

Now you have Anusien, Mr. Zuccinihead and I to test this set, in addition to everyone else you previously had, so you now have incentive to get out a spoiler at the least. Hopefully, we may see it soon?
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 12:19:30 am »

The dirty little secret of the set is what it's really waiting on is me finding someone to give me MS Office so I can open my own damn Excel spreadsheets.  Embarassed

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 01:18:53 am »

http://www.openoffice.org

I use that, and it opens XL spreadsheets fine.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 11:39:12 pm »

Okay, I got a complete spoiler. Who can/wants to make a MWS patch? I won't mince words, it's gonna be a LOT of data entry.

I used the Open Office software. This means I saved it in that format, so I don't actually know if Excel will open the spreadsheet.

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 02:05:02 am »

Could you PM everyone that spreadsheet? If you save it in excel format, excel and open spreadsheet will be able to read it.
Bram
Adepts
Basic User

I've got mushroom clouds in my hands

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 02:39:19 am »

<3 dowloading a 63MB package to convert an 18K file Wink

Anyway: I wanna get to work on making a definitive (testing) patch again, but I've some questions.

1. do we want an MWS patch or an Apprentice one? (I know how to make appr patches, and don't know how to do this for MWS but I just dowloaded it and noticed that it's a supported fuction in MWS so it can't be too hard to figure out).
2. does anyone know for sure that custom sets made by registered users can be used by everyone?
3. does MWS support a 'separate' custom set? (the problem with Apprentice patches is that you need to incorporate our set in cards.dat, which means that you can never d/l the latest official set from e-league and overwrite the old one, because that means you'll lose our set).

Also, I gather you can use MWS sets for drafting purposes as well as constructed. This is not the same for appr; for NetDraft, one needs to create a separate parch all over again.

If anyone can confirm #2 and #3, I'm gonna have to vote for MWS, I guess.

<j_orlove> I am semi-religious
<BR4M> I like that. which half of god do you believe in?
<j_orlove> the half that tells me how to live my life
<j_orlove> but not the half that tells me how others should live theirs

R.I.P. Rudy van Soest a.k.a. MoreFling
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 10:29:47 am »

MWS allllllllllllll the way. It's superior in every respect as far as actual gameplay (except the lack of WackyLand). I don't know if it supports draft. The shuffler is still ass, but as bad as it is it's still better than apprentice's shuffler, and MWS supports Wishes and remembers tokens and lets you sort your library in alphabetical order (incredibly helpful when searching for a specific card) and so on.

I am really very sure that custom sets can be used by anyone. Otherwise, how would you ever update? Razz

Yes, you can have the custom sets be seperate. You just need to make your own library and load that instead of the MAIN master base one.

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
SpencerForHire
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 02:44:13 pm »

If it is MWS I am totally in on testing.  I love playing new sets and poison counters rock my socks.

Team Technology - Strictly better than our previous name.
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 10:12:16 pm »

This topic died again! I need an update about the elusive "Set In Progress"!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: