TheManaDrain.com
August 22, 2019, 08:56:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Results] How Did You End Up Doing at GP: Philly?  (Read 1796 times)
SpencerForHire
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2005, 12:30:41 am »

I have seen this question all over the boards so I thought "Wouldn't it be nice to collect some different data."

How did everyone do at GP Philly? 
How did you do each day? 
Did you make it to the second day? 
And what would you change about your experience there, either while playing or in general?.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:13:12 pm by Bardo » Logged

Team Technology - Strictly better than our previous name.
flipthis
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:31:10 am »

I have seen this question all over the boards so I thought "Wouldn't it be nice to collect some different data."

How did everyone do at GP Philly? 
How did you do each day? 
Did you make it to the second day? 
And what would you change about your experience there, either while playing or in general?.

I went 6-0-2 Day one with U/R Landstill finishing the day in 23rd going into Day Two with 20 points... Unfortunately, I scrubbed out Day Two in fashion with an oh so wonderful 0-4-2... Probably the best experience I can remember is beating Eugene Levin the last round of Day 2-0 to make Day Two... and all without any byes... It was a great experience, and one i'll never forget... I just wish I could've finished in the money at least...
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:51:35 am »

I ran Mike Flores' Red Deck Wins with a Black splash (for maindeck Darkblast, and SB EPlagues, Duress and more Darkblast), had no byes, and started 3-0 (beating Black Aggro, Welder Survival and R/W Rifter), but then lost to Flame-Vault, lost to a very good U/R/w LandStill, beat Black Aggro and lost to Goblins, dropping at 4-3. It was fun, but I really shouldn't have listened to Flores, Wink. In all fairness, two players running his deck made Day 2 (Billy Moreno and Steve Sadin), and I think it's actually decent, and very consistent, if nothing else. I had a good time, but am very happy about never having to worry about Legacy again!

Luiggi

Quote from: Dxfiler
"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
SpencerForHire
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:30:36 am »

Luiggi, does that mean your not going to be playing Legacy unless another professional event arises?

Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 12:59:39 pm »

Honestly I think that's exactly the case...

If I lived in an area with a thriving Legacy scene, like Syracuse, Virginia, etc., I'd probably like to keep playing it, since it's not a bad format. I live in New York, though, and the only Legacy tournaments there've been for the past few months were GPTs leading up to GP Philly and GP Lille. I'm not flying to France for the other GP, so there's really no reason for me to keep playing the format, as well as no real possibility for me to keep playing the format, since Neutral Ground probably won't ever host another Legacy event. They couldn't even get a decent turnout for their GPT, so it wouldn't make sense for them to run any more events.

Additionally, between work and spending time with my girlfriend I don't get to play as much Magic as I used to, so I just have to be more selective of what I play. If I'm traveling to a tournament or spending the day playing at Neutral Ground then I want it to be either something like a PTQ or a Vintage tournament, that are more relevant and fun for me than Legacy.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that this means that I won't be putting any more energy into Legacy until/unless there's another GP/PT/big tournament nearby, if that ever happens.

Luiggi

Quote from: Dxfiler
"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
nickvos
Basic User

nickvos18
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 08:13:42 pm »

My name is Nick Trudeau and I ended finishing 27th.  I went into day two 6-2, and then in the 10th round lost to Osyp Liebowitz, which, mentally, was where I was knocked from top 8. I played a BHWC (San Diego) rendition of ATS and was very pleased with its performance. I never felt, in 11 rounds of play (I had 3 Byes), that I was an underdog in any match. Even in my first round of play; I played Rabid Wombat piloted by Marty Rose, which I had heard was one of my worst matchups, but, after that match and some additional playtesting when I got home, I found that match to be considerably in my favor if the Wombat deck is not running Pithing Needle.
    Oh, by the way, in every one of my matchups after the first, I had to deal with Pithing Needle maindeck! EVERY ONE! That card seemed to be omnipresent, even moreso than the goblins decks at the top tables.
   All in all, I was pleased with my performance, although I feel that if I had ever played that deck before the GP, I could've made top 8.

nick

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky-
Oath up Akroma to beat your face!"

That's WICKED Haht! - anonymous east coast scrub

Member Team Bitches and Hoes West Coast
SpencerForHire
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 08:28:17 pm »

Nick, I'm sure we would all love to see your list and possibly a report or a deck description because I'd love to see a working Survival deck in the present format!

Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 12:49:36 am »

Yes, I'm VERY interested to see your build.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: