TheManaDrain.com
August 22, 2019, 09:18:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] SCG Duel for Duals II - 42nd Place with 3C Slide  (Read 1381 times)
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:11:43 pm »

So I took Three Color Slide to the Duel for Duals as my backup plan in case emidln couldn't make it.  I piloted it in a Legacy side event Saturday as a warm-up.

Round 1 Goblins:
I rolled him.  It took forever since I wasn't used to playing the deck, and my Confinements never showed.  I just held him off and recurred Hierarchs for a long time while I got used to the deck on paper.
2-0

Round 2 4C Dredge Tog:
Game: He gets down a Tog, I get down Slide + Wall of Blossoms.  I win.
Game 2 he gets mana screwed, I cast a boarded in Boil, wreck him, then play out Hierarch for the win

Round 3: 5C Rec-Sur with Coalition Victory and Sliver Overlord
Game 1: He Burning Wish -> Haunting Echoes me, gets everything but my Tranquil Thickets, my LftL, and the 1 Slide/Rift I have in play.  I burn him out with Rift.
Game 2: He sets up Recurring Nightmare + EWitness + Vindicate
Game 3: He gets quick beats down while I stumble on mana

Soo, no prize, but I got used to playing the deck.

Sunday Duel for Duals
The list I ran:

// Mana
3 Forest
2 Mountain
3 Plains
3 Forgotten Cave
3 Secluded Steppe
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Plateau
1 Savannah
1 Taiga

// Creatures
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Eternal Witness
2 Loxodon Hierarch
2 Eternal Dragon
4 Wall of Blossoms

// Spells
2 Wrath of God
3 Solitary Confinement
4 Astral Slide
4 Lightning Rift
3 Life from the Loam
1 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:
3 Boil
2 Sacred Ground
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Solitary Confinement
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Viridian Shaman
2 Naturalize

The main change is 2 Chalice of the Void for 2 Engineered Explosives in the sideboard; I saw a decent amount of combo and wanted that not to be an autoscoop.

Round 1 versus Goblins (Mono-R?)
Game 1: He wins the die roll and chooses to go first.  I have a one-land hand (with a Forest) and I mulligan.  I get a one-lander with Plains, STE, 2 Wall of Blossoms and other goodies.  I never find the second land
Sideboarding: -2 Eternal Dragon, +2 Chalice of the Void
Game 2: I set up with turn 2 Chalice for 1, 2x Wall of Blossoms and a STE, a Rift and a Slide but can't find a cycler.  He gets out a decent sized army, then Matrons up Warchief and beats down twice for the win
0-1, 0-2 (with a loss to Goblins, who I should own)

Round 2 versus Mono-R Burn
Game 1: He gets turn 2 Sulfuric Vortex and starts burning me out.  I go to 4 before I set up Confinement + LftL and Rift him out with his own Vortex helping.
Sideboarding: -2 Wrath of God, +2 Naturalize
Game 2: He gets turn 2 Sulfuric Vortex and I don't go crazy.
Game 3: He gets turn 2 Sulfuric Vortex, but stalls at 3 mana.  I get Confinement going and play conservatively because I forget Anarchy costs 4.  On his last turn, he Anarchies me out, but I have enough cycling damage to win anyway (with double Confinement in hand)
1-1, 2-3

Round 3 versus Teen Titans
Game 1: He gets the turn 1 Careful Study, turn 2 Welder, turn 3 Sundering Titan.  I lose shortly after
Sideboarding:
-2 Eternal Dragon, -2 Wrath of God, -1 Wall of Blossoms, -1 Sakura-Tribe Elder, +2 Tormod's Crypt, +2 Viridian Shaman, +2 Naturalize
Game 2: He doesn't get the nuts, I get turn 2 Sacred Ground, I burn out his Welders, win (with double Crypt)
Game 3: He doesn't get the nuts, I get turn 2 Sacred Ground, and h and stalls for forever, reanimating Hapless Researchers and burning all his spells to find a fattie.  I take like 100 turns, dredging LftL with Rift + Slide to find a cycling land.  I get it and win
2-1, 4-4

Round 4 versus Life from the Loam + Devastating Dreams
Game 1: I forget about Devastating Dreams.  He goes turn 1 Wish for LftL via Mox, and Devastating Dreams shortly thereafter.  I can't find lands and lose.
Sideboarding: -2 Wrath of God, -1 Swords to Plowshares, -1 Wall of Blossoms, +2 Sacred Ground, +2 Tormod's Crypt
Game 2: I get a turn 2 Sacred Ground.  I get Rift, Slide, Witness, Confinement going.  He gets LftL and three times forgets when he cycles and takes 2-4 damage.  He casts Seismic Assault at 11 life and I say "go" and then lose.  Right after, I realize that I should have responded.  I have only one card in hand, so when I cycle it and hit him for 4, he burns witness.  I have to drop confinement.  He lftls, crafts a hand and goes to 3 when he cycles (double Rift).  I have two draw steps to grab one of 7 cycling lands or a Life from the Loam, but I don't and lose.  (This is the 3rd or 4th time I've lost because I didn't have enough cyclers).  If I play right, we don't have time to finish game 3 and this match draws instead of me losing.
2-2, 4-6

Round 5 v MonoR Goblins
Game 1: He goes nuts, my draw is slow and I lose
Sideboard: As before
Game 2: I go crazy with Wraths and stuff.  I win
Game 3: I end up at 9 life with 5 lands, LftL, Slide versus 5 lands and Vial.  I know he has a SGC.  I think he has Anarchy, and so I play a Hierarch.  He EOT Vials out SGC, Incinerates Hierarch and swings for the win.  He had the 6th land so even if he didn't have the singleton Incinerator, I lose anyway.  The correct play is to realize I lose no matter what if he has Anarchy, and set up Confinement recursion.  Next turn I can start with the Hierarch
2-3, 5-7 DROP

The singleton StP was almost never necessary.  I've swapped it for the 4th Secluded Steppe.
Over all, I think the build is really strong.  I just suck as a player.  The one thing I noticed is that the deck tends to be strong.  You have no turn 1 plays except for cycling a land, and you have 12 turn 2 plays but none of them are awesome; you can't Rift and burn something, and you can't turn turn 2 Wall, turn 3 Rift and burn something, or Slide.  I think the deck really needs acceleration, either in the form of Mox Diamonds or Exploration.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:50:39 pm by Bardo » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:49:53 pm »

Cool deck and a nice report.

noitcelfeRmaeT||TeamReflection - .gniyd ysub si ,nrob gnieb ysub ton eH
:nraw ot sevorp ,sdrow detsaw syalp nroh wolloh ehT
Danzig
Basic User

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:46:24 pm »

Thank you for the informative and enthusiatic report!  Wink

Team Broken - Waiting for Smmenen to return Dark Rituals since 2004.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: