TheManaDrain.com
September 26, 2020, 05:02:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 225415 times)
Lonely Sandbar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »

Hello TMD!

My name is Andrew and I recently came back to the game roughly 6 months ago. I don't remember the year but I remember my friend next door bringing over this long box of cards and  we played and I was hooked. I traded a Beanie Baby for everything in the box and would plead my mom to get an Ice Age pack when I tagged along grocery shopping. That was my introduction to the game. I stopped playing around Lorwyn-Innistrad. I came to Chicago a number of years ago to begin my doctoral studies. I play Lands and Enchantress in legacy and have joined with Mark and others to stream Legacy and now Modern on the WUBRG.xyz twitch stream. I hope we can branch out into covering vintage as the scene picks up more. My time lurking on this site and has given me the bug to play shops as I do love grindy prison/control strategies. I have been privileged to learn about Vintage from wonderful TMD folks like strip miner and Jaco and I look forward to learning more about the format here!
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #841 on: April 04, 2015, 07:21:37 pm »

Welcome folks!

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
JesterSB
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #842 on: April 09, 2015, 07:59:16 pm »

Hi,

My name is Sid, and I'm an addict. I've been playing Magic since Ice Age (took a break from Masques through original Ravnica). I've owned power 3 different times now, but don't plan on ever selling again unless I have to. I have a cube (love drafting all formats), I pay Lands in Legacy, and plan on playing either Shops or Mentor control in Vintage.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #843 on: April 10, 2015, 01:13:15 pm »

Greetings TMD,

My name is Hunter, Ive been playing since Revised with a few small breaks here and there. I bought my first power low ($90 mint UL Time Walks anyone??), and sold it lower, many moons ago. It's still a sore spot with me. It felt so good to play the Eternal Extravaganza 2 Vintage event with power that I actually owned...it had been 15 years since I'd last cast a mox.

I play Metalworker MUD in Legacy and Martello 'Shops in Vintage.

Vintage is truly the league of gentlemen, and I'm working hard to have my deck fully powered in time for eternal weekend 2015 (Lotus, Sapphire, Emerald, Shops x2). In addition to that mission Im trying to convince as many legacy players as I can to do what I did and liquidate some of their collections and play vintage (seriously, who needs enough cards to make every deck in the format at any given time).
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #844 on: April 16, 2015, 05:30:00 am »

Welcome to TMD. Sid and Hunter!

That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
iostream
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #845 on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:57 am »

Hi, TMD!  My name is Kenan.  I've been playing since Mercadian Masques and mostly play Legacy.  I got into Vintage after borrowing a friend's power for Eternal Weekend 2013, and got hooked.  I finally finished my set of power this year and participated in my first sanctioned Vintage tournament without borrowing any cards at GP Atlantic City this past weekend.  Looking forward to discussing Vintage and getting ready for Eternal Weekend 2015!
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #846 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:50 am »

Welcome Kenan!

Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #847 on: May 16, 2015, 09:32:53 am »

I've been posting on TMD for a little while, and I hadn't noticed this thread. I finally saw it, and figured I'd introduce myself. Here is goes...

My name is Joe Fiorini, I first played Magic back in the summer before 9th grade. I got cash in a birthday card, and bought packs of the odd-looking stuff my friends were buying. It was three packs of Chronicles, in which I opened a City of Brass.

Unlike many new players, I thought getting City as my rare was actually awesome, it worked well in my deck. That's because my deck was all three packs of cards I'd bought, plus some lands and random commons that were donated to me. Five-color, 100 card special!

I played in local non-sanctioned tournaments as soon as we had them. We had no judge in my hometown (St Albans VT), so we couldn't sanction tournaments. I played my first sanctioned event in Middlebury Vermont (I think that was the town), and got stomped. My second sanctioned tournament, was a Pro Tour Qualifier in MTL Quebec CA, and I ran really hot that day and won.

Around 2000, I quit playing Magic, and sold my collection. I had a lot of cards that would be Legacy staples now, 40 Duals, etc. I also had two beat-up pieces of power, a Library, Bazaar, and Mana Drain. I always wanted to play type one, but I couldn't find people to play with, and I hadn't been able to trade for all of the power I wanted anyway. I do completely regret quitting and selling out my collection now though.

I dabbled in MTG a few times since 2000, but I never stuck with it. Then, for some reason, I started reading about Magic around the release of Theros. I was interested enough to start playing again. I also read that the power nine was coming to Magic Online, and I realized that if I put my mind to it, my dream of playing Vintage might come true.

I started my MTGO account, and have played primarily on that ever since. I started writing articles for puremtgo.com last year, and that helped me afford the collection I have now. A couple months ago, I finally had enough stock to trade for a set of power, and I played my first games of real Vintage. Since those first games, I've grown to love the format so much, that I've stopped playing anything else. Legacy is a close second, and I do really love that format too, but when my mind drifts to thoughts of Magic. it's always Vintage I'm thinking of.

If the opportunity presented itself, I'd play paper Vintage in a heartbeat. Until then, though, I'm content playing online.

Thanks,
Joe "Islandswamp" Fiorini

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
TapUntapTap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #848 on: May 23, 2015, 03:50:14 pm »

Hey vintage community!

Completely new to the format, though I have been playing magic off and on since 1995, never wanted to part with my cards so have held on to a lot of really playable stuff. p9, duals, etc. real passion is for the 93/94 old school meta, but seems like there is no interest in the SF bay area for it. I am looking to the Vintage format to fill the void. So much to learn so I cant wait to poke through threads here on the site and see what vintage is all about. As far as extramagical affairs, I am married have a really cool little kid, and make a living selling grape juice. I love sports, music (mainly classical), food and wine.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 24, 2015, 11:06:00 am »

Welcome to TMD, gents!

"I値l break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Baradoz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 28, 2015, 10:07:11 am »

Hello my fellow Br0k3nness addicts,

I'm a French played aged 33, currently living in Canada.
It seems I've been playing Vintage since my very beginnings at this game, back in 97 (I was already more interested in summoning Djinns and Efreets than my friends who were all crazy about the type 2 decks).
Long-time lover of MUD decks, I was really proud of the first builds I was bringing to Vintage tournaments 15 years ago: before I even used the Internet, I was already tapping metalworkers on turn 2 to cast Spheres and Karns. However, my deck was also featuring Thran Dynamos, temporal apertures and elkin bottles...

I still love this game, and even if there's not much Vintage around in my region (Nova Scotia), I'm definitely looking forward to attend the big events happening in the US: Eternal Weekend, NYSE...

See you there!
B

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 28, 2015, 10:33:39 am »

Bienvenue a TMD! 

I look forward to seeing you at the NYSE Open!  Be sure to introduce yourself to me there.

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospector
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #852 on: June 01, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »

Hi I'm Patrick van Beek, I live in the UK, by day an Actuary and by night I spend too much time playing Magic online.

I've played both paper and online on and off for many years.  Paper since Revised/tail end of The Dark though took a long break since Torment apart from the occasional pre-release. Recently started attending pre-releases regularly again as my son now also plays.  I beta tested MTGO, hence the highly original pvanbeek user name and occasionally still beta test.   

The last time I played in a (paper) vintage tournament was 2001.  I think the name Vintage for Type 1 had only just been introduced. Surprised to look back at my DCI history to see that it was sanctioned, and even more surprised to see that I went 3-0.  It was at the local club so only a few pieces of power between us (I have only ancestral recall).  I really loved the oath deck even though it was pretty much 2000/2001 extended with a couple of restricted cards thrown in. Would be great to update spike weaver & feeders and triskelion to grisselbrand and power up but realistically this is only going to be on a proxy basis.

The VSL got me hooked on Vintage again and the release of Vintage masters means force of will and duals are finally at a level online I consider affordable.  Since then been playing a bit of a brew that evolved from the (old) classic online format - crucible fastbond and zuran orb to fuel landfall or banefire.  Slowly picking up the remaining pieces of power and looking forward to building some different decks (including oath) and playing in the Vintage queue's. 

I love building around new cards (currently taking infinite turns in Modern with Alesha, Living Lore and Time Stretch).  Hopefully TMD can give me some inspiration how to best brew in Vintage, and perhaps as a way to get in touch with any UK players to play some proxy paper Vintage.
Voodoo Specter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #853 on: July 19, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »

Hey guys!

My name is Chris Hanson and I am a native from Long Island NY. I have been playing MTG on and off since 94, though my love for competitive vintage followed much later in 2003. I have used TMD for years but i finally felt like it was time to make an account and start contributing to the community.

I have played in a bunch of local events and top 8ed a hand full of them, including this and last years NYSE Open. I play a lot of different kinds of decks, and I love experimenting with new and old card combinations. Most would know me as a shop player, but my first love in vintage was blue (control slaver to be exact) and i recently piloted a pretty sweet home brew of UW Landstill to a 7th place finish at the NYSE Open III.

By profession i am an illustrator and i am the art lead for the indi game company 9Kingdoms games, where we put out ApocalypZe a competitive post apocalyptic card game. My greatest aspiration though is to someday work for Wizards and have my original artwork on MTG cards (would be too bad ass).

The last few years have been spent converting a hand full of local guys into vintage regulars. We now have a pretty good (though small) community of vintage enthusiasts, and our numbers have been growing somewhat steadily. We play regularly at our local store, Brother's Grim games in Suffolk county LI, and those in our playgroup and I have aspirations to start running small vintage events there at some point in the future.

Can't wait to see everyone at Eternal weekend! Cheers!
icecoldbath
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #854 on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:59 am »

Hi Everybody!

My name is Ashley and I started playing magic with an exbf way back during Revised. I quit at the end of combo winter because I left for college and broke up with my bf who played. I fell in love whit doing broken game swingy things early on. I got back into the game around RtR when some coworkers were playing it at lunch. I briefly played paper magic before deciding that I'd have much more fun with MTGO and it would fit my schedule. I was super excited when the P9 were released and bought into as many competitive vintage/legacy decks as I could afford (gotta catch em all!) and have been jamming matches in the TP room as much as possible, I've sort of developed a little bit of a love affair with aggro shops because it reminds me of the wildfire/MUD deck I played at the very end of my first magic career, but I do switch it up and you can just as easily catch me trying and failing at putting together a sweet doomsday pile, or mulliganing to a  bazaar. 

Right now I've been given the interesting opportunity of being on work disability for 3 months so I'm going to have plenty of time to jam games on mtgo and am totally looking for friends who want to practice/test/socialize with on mtgo. My mtgo SN is the same as my name here so please feel free to add me there and say hi! Very Happy

Outside of magic I'm into Action RPG video games, craft beer, and wedding planning (getting hitched in 4 months!)
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #855 on: July 23, 2015, 09:00:51 am »

Hi Everybody!

My name is Ashley and I started playing magic with an exbf way back during Revised. I quit at the end of combo winter because I left for college and broke up with my bf who played. I fell in love whit doing broken game swingy things early on. I got back into the game around RtR when some coworkers were playing it at lunch. I briefly played paper magic before deciding that I'd have much more fun with MTGO and it would fit my schedule. I was super excited when the P9 were released and bought into as many competitive vintage/legacy decks as I could afford (gotta catch em all!) and have been jamming matches in the TP room as much as possible, I've sort of developed a little bit of a love affair with aggro shops because it reminds me of the wildfire/MUD deck I played at the very end of my first magic career, but I do switch it up and you can just as easily catch me trying and failing at putting together a sweet doomsday pile, or mulliganing to a  bazaar. 

Right now I've been given the interesting opportunity of being on work disability for 3 months so I'm going to have plenty of time to jam games on mtgo and am totally looking for friends who want to practice/test/socialize with on mtgo. My mtgo SN is the same as my name here so please feel free to add me there and say hi! Very Happy

Outside of magic I'm into Action RPG video games, craft beer, and wedding planning (getting hitched in 4 months!)

My mtgo name is Islandswamp, add me and we can play test. I check out puremtgo.com for mtgo articles, K do

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2015, 04:28:32 am »

Hi TMD,

this is matori from Serbia.
I am playing mtg for a long time but I知 fresh to vintage.
I played standard/ modern/ legacy as well as limited in local games shops but as recently I became father and a family man I知 lacking time to play paper magic.
So I came to idea to start mtgo. Since vintage is my long time wish and fantasy and in my area there is no vintage community nor tournaments,  I came to conclusion that this is perfect chance to start it since power is silly cheap comparing to paper prices.
I am still considering deck to play, but with current online prices I don稚 see some real obstacle to collect more than one deck.
Any advice would be more than welcome from your side.
I am really looking forward to read all articles and get deep into vintage.
BalduvianBears
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 07, 2015, 08:37:16 am »

Hey everyone!

Been learning Magic at the kitchen table between Ice Age and Urza's Saga, then played a little more in college w/ my roommates (also casual).  But didn't take the full dive into MTG until around Magic 2011 when someone told me about DoTP.  From there, I started going to an LGS around SOM prerelease and haven't left since.

Format-wise these days, I've scaled all the way down to Legacy and casual (primarily EDH and Cube).  Been playing Legacy since I moved up to CT around 2012, and I really enjoy what the format has to offer.  Shortly after, I've lightly followed the Vintage format but haven't started to pay more attention until Vintage Masters came out.  Now we have Eternal Weekend on the horizon, and I see it as an opportunity to break into the format at that event.  Since I don't have power, it seems like a great opportunity to shoot for the budget challenge.  So you'll likely find me in the Null Rod (esp. Simians Mom currently), Misc., or Creative areas until I somehow stumble into power and get a better feel for the format.

Really looking forward to getting to know the great Vintage community that people have been talking about for some time, and don't hesitate to hit me up on TMD, Twitter (@BalduvianBears), or Facebook (/BalduvianBears).

- Celso
MtgVector
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2015, 02:44:48 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I've been playing mtg since 2001, and Vintage since last year.

I mostly (almost exclusively) play on mtgo.

I don't have a lot of time to play, so I mostly play 2-p queues.

I was never interested in Vintage until I started playing on mtgo, then I realized it's a much rewarding format than Legacy (which is still my format of choice). Sadly, many Vintage players have left and now I sit on the queues, waiting for players... [insert Forever Alone meme]
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 12, 2015, 11:16:03 am »

Hey guys!

Glad to have you on the site! Happy to hear we have players coming in from MTGO - it means I'll get to see you in the dailies.

Don't hesitate to message me here, or @tmdBrassMan on twitter and twitch, UnrestrictGifts on mtgo. Enjoy playing that power!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Gumgod
Basic User

A Metal Slime draws near!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #860 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »

Hello, I've been playing magic off and on since Revised.  I used to lurk around here, but now I have an account and that's spiffy.  

I don't go to events very often, but play magic casually and play some MTGO.  

Trying to build up a vintage collection online, but right now mostly playing in the PREs (Heirloom, tribal and vintage).  Sticking to these partly because I don't want to funnel too much money into MTGO and partly because I don't have a whole lot of time to play in events.  That's what got me to register actually, I saw that you guys were hosting a vintage PRE on Sundays, and thought it would be nice to be able to comment in that thread if needed.  

I also collect old school stuff, and try to talk players into 93/94 whenever I can.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:52:47 pm by Gumgod » Logged
WildRyc
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #861 on: August 28, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »

Hi Folks!

I'm typing here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I'm a full-time coffeehouse geek, and take time off work to judge tournaments. I've run the Canadian Magic Tour, and am super interested in Vintage since I attended Eternal Weekend in Philadelphia.
Varal
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #862 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:28 pm »

Hi Folks!

I'm typing here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I'm a full-time coffeehouse geek, and take time off work to judge tournaments. I've run the Canadian Magic Tour, and am super interested in Vintage since I attended Eternal Weekend in Philadelphia.

I don't know about Ottawa but there's a small scene in Montreal and an even bigger one in Toronto.
BasicLands
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #863 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:41 pm »

Hey everyone,

Glad to join after occasional lurking for years.

I've been playing Magic since Revised...and still never owned power.

Looking to start accumulating, but at the very least find a Vintage deck to start with and get good with!  Always been a rogue builder, but never too much success.  90% Modern player, some Standard, but Vintage seems like the best format!
OneWithNothing
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #864 on: August 29, 2015, 02:41:13 am »

Hello there everyone,

I've been playing Magic for 14 years and have done pretty much everything! I play all other formats and am finally reaching my tendrils *rimshot* into Vintage. I'm looking for ideas of where to start, and have lurked here for a little while. I even owned my own business that did Magic and comics and such at one point. Either way, I'm really excited to get into Vintage, as you guys seem to have the best community in the entire game! Cheers!
lennyvanscyoc
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #865 on: August 30, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »

Hello everyone! My name is Lenny and I've been playing magic for quite sometime. I remember giving a mox blue and red with a lot of other duals and cards to a person on Guam because there was nowhere to play in south. I have always enjoyed vintage and my favorite deck of all time is 5c stax. I have gone to Eternal weekend the past two years by way of driving and I live on the west coast. So, next year (2016) if you need a ride, hit me up! Chances are I am swinging through your place anyways.
Ancestral Melon
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #866 on: September 01, 2015, 03:26:32 pm »

Hi all,
my name is Mauro and i'm an italian legacy player
but i often play vintage too.
I usually play standstill deck, U/W in vintage, UBG in legacy =)
but now with Dig it's very hard and difficult to play correctly and
having a good card advantage.
I'll post something as soon as my account will be unblocked.
i hope u guys will enjoy it.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 01, 2015, 04:04:32 pm »

Gents, welcome to TMD!  I'm glad to have you all here!

"I値l break my staff,
I値l drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Highsididy
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #868 on: September 05, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »

Hello all
I'm KC from philly...started playing magic during revised. Took a loooong break and decided to play at eternal weekend. Had alot of fun and looking to hit some locale tourneys in PA.
Thanks for all those involved in EW & the information in these forums.
bigmro
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 08, 2015, 10:56:47 am »

Hello TMD,

I'm obert from PA. I started playing about 5th edition about 1997. My main vintage deck then was blue horseshoe crab\hermetic study combo, black discard with ritual and hypnotic specter, and slivers curving out at the top with shivan dragon. I took a long break from about planeshift/invasion/odyssey till about 2011. At that point, I really just jumped back in having no idea of what was good or what the metagame was or even basic rule updates such as not taking damage from mana burn and started attending blue bell monthly tournaments. Here I got obliterated by ringers such as Tom Dixon, Paul Mastriano, Josh Potucek, Jake Gans, Will Magrann, John Jones, Joe Brown... the list just keeps going on and on and on here in the NE. I played there for about 7 months, monthly, getting mostly crushed but slowly getting better. From there, I basically stopped playing paper vintage just due to lack of interest. I switched to legacy cube, limited draft, and the occasional cockatrice to get play time in and updates in rules. In the past 3 years, the only paper vintage I have played is at champs but I do keep tabs on people and decks from MTGO, VSL, and paper magic. I consider myself to be a casual player who just plays for fun but I do tend to play spiky decks. Hope to see you all at a vintage tournament soon!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
  Print  

Jump to: