TheManaDrain.com
September 16, 2019, 08:02:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Last RGD Draft  (Read 712 times)
Klep
OMG I'M KLEP!
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2006, 03:13:11 pm »

Well, last night was my last RGD draft, and it went out on a suitably high note.  I won the draft, and did so with the most ridiculous deck I've ever had.  This isn't a particularly interesting draft, but I have to share it

I started off drafting Galvanic Arc, Hammerfist Giant, Halcyon Glaze, and Cerulean Sphinx, getting a Farseek and a Compulsive Research as well.

Guildpact gave me Ulasht, followed by Sword of the Paruns(!).  The rest of the pack was similarly silly.  I had the opportunity to take a second Skaargan Skybreaker late in the pack, but declined over concerns about my curve.

Dissension gave me Azorius and Simic Guildmage, Plaxcaster Frogling, Patagia Viper, and Assault Zeppelid.

I ended up with the following pool:

White:

Blue:
Cerulean Sphinx
Compulsive Research
Halcyon Glaze

Aetherplasm
Repeal
Steamcore Weird
Torch Drake

Novijen Sages

Black:
Poisonbelly Ogre

Red:
Galvanic Arc
Hammerfist Giant
Viashino Slasher
War-Torch Goblin

Ogre Savant

Green:
Elves of Deep Shadow
Elvish Skysweeper
Farseek
Scatter the Seeds
Stone-Seeder Hierophant

Gristleback
Wildsize

Patagia Viper
Sporeback Troll
Stomp and Howl
Verdant Eidolon

Multicolored:
Seeds of Strength
Twisted Justice

Feral Animist
Skaargan Skybreaker
Streetbreaker Wurm
Ulasht, the Hate Seed

Assault Zeppelid
Azorius Guildmage
Azorius Ploy
Coiling Oracle
Plaxcaster Frogling
Pure//Simple
Simic Guildmage
Vigean Hydropon

Artifact&Land:
Golgari Signet

Izzet Signet
Orzhov Signet
Sword of the Paruns

Azorius Signet
Simic Growth Chamber

This ended up being really hard to build, because there were so many strong cards.  After the first set of cuts, I still had 29 good spells left.  I ended up settling on the following:

Cerulean Sphinx
Compulsive Research
Halcyon Glaze
Steamcore Weird

Galvanic Arc
Hammerfist Giant

Farseek
Gristleback
Patagia Viper
Sporeback Troll
Wildsize

Assault Zeppelid
Azorius Guildmage
Coiling Oracle
Plaxcaster Frogling
Pure//Simple
Simic Guildmage
Skaargan Skybreaker
Streetbreaker Wurm
Ulasht, the Hate Seed
Vigean Hydropon

Azorius Signet
Sword of the Paruns

1 Plains
5 Islands
4 Mountains
6 Forests
Simic Growth Chamber

Round 1:
     I actually lose my first game.  I start off with a 5 land hand with Simic Guildmage and Compulsive Research.  Research draws me into 3 more lands, and I end up seeing a total of 13 lands to 4 spells that game.  This after shuffling extensively.
     Game 2 is a blowout.  I have the same start (Guildmage into Research), but this time my hand is full of gas instead of lands.
     Game 3 starts off slow.  We both use our 2nd turn on a signet, but his turn 3 is a Torch Drake.  I follow up with Simic Guildmage, and the Zeppelid in my hand leaves me fairly unconcered about the Drake.  On his turn he loads it up with Taste for Mayhem and swings in for 4, and now I'm a little concerned.  I drop Azorius Guildmage, but he repeals it and swings in for 4 again.  Now I'm getting worried.  I untap, and play both the Guildmage and the Zeppelid in my hand, and I pass the turn hoping he doesn't have any removal.  He doesn't, so my Zeppelid trades with the Drake, and he passes the turn after playing Palliation Accord.  With 7 mana available to me, I drop Sword of the Paruns, equip it to Simic Guildmage, and swing for 8 (goddamn that card is ridiculous).  He prevents 2 from the Accord, but now I'm in control.  He topdecks Mausoleum Turnkey, getting back his Drake.  I blithely swing both my guys into it on my turn, and Wildsize the guy he blocks.  At that point, he scoops.

Round 2
     Game 1 is another blowout.  I get a bunch of good men on the table, and despite a Fertile Imagination that gives him 6 guys, this one is soon over.
     Game 2 is really good.  We both build up our boards, but thanks to Scatter the Seeds and Fertile Imagination, he has a few more guys than me and is slowly whittling away my life total. Things get bad when he drops an Assault Zeppelid, and I don't have an answer for it. I draw Hammerfist Giant, but at this point I'm at too low of a life total to use it and still race his Zeppelid. I also have Halcyon Glaze, but no way to activate it on his turn (it does get a couple swings in though).  So things look grim, but the turn after he brings me to 4, I draw Galvanic Arc.  I kill his Zeppelid, and things are looking better.  Another turn passes, and I draw Ulasht.  I grin, and play it as a 6/6.  I should note the rest of my board involved Plaxcaster Frogling, Vigean Hydropon, Streetbreaker Wurm, Hammerfist Giant, Simic Guildmage, and 1 or 2 other things (Ulasht should actually have been a 7/7, but I misread it).  I swing in with Glaze to bring him to 8, and pass the turn much more confident.  He realizes an alpha strike could only bring me to 1 (and that if I didn't use Ulasht to kill his guys), so he passes back the turn.  I kill 2 men with Ulasht at end of turn, untap, and draw.... Skybreaker.  With plenty of mana, I play him, swing with Glaze, move a counter over, and throw it at his head for the win.

Round 3
     This last round was somewhat dissapointing, as all of our games were decided by mana issues.  Game 1 I couldn't find a Forest and ended the game with 4 green cards (including Farseek) in my hand.  I kept the hand off the promise of turn 2 Azorius Guildmage and the Cerulean Sphinx.  It basically didn't seem like a green-heavy hand.
     Game 2 he gets mana screwed, and I get out a fast Sphinx.  He scoops.
     Game 3 he gets color screwed, a situation only exacerbated by my turn 2 Oracle....into my Growth Chamber. Very Happy  He is soon dead.

So there we have it, my last RGD draft.  I'm glad it went out on such a high note.

So I suppose I should take The Fringe back out of my sig now...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: