TheManaDrain.com
August 22, 2019, 08:34:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anybody help me determine whether or not this is real?  (Read 934 times)
UR
Basic User

budweisur@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:18:07 am »

Hey guys,

A friend of mine who has his own shop recently acquired the mox shown below. For all intents and purposes it looks like a real mox. But the thing is that when you run your finger across the front, it just feels 'off' somehow.

It has been shown to three dealers already and they all said it was most likely a real mox, but something is definatly different about this one. So, my question to you all is: Do you think it is real? And if so, do you have any idea what might be wrong with it?

It already 'scared' one customer out of a deal and reputations are important when selling these items so I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance,

Peter

P.S. Somthing is very wrong with either my computer or TMD, but it isn't loading properly. I just deleted my double post, but I apologize to any mods of something should still be wrong.
Necrologia
Basic User

RPZ85
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:10:25 am »

Well, you said it looks real but feels off. Sadly my monitor doesn't transmit textures all that well.  Wink

Have you tried the light test? That would rule out it being a reback which could account for the texture. Is it the same thickness/weight as other beta cards?

This space for rent, reasonable rates
Eddie
Full Members
Basic User

Mr. Monster

Lord_Kwakkie@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:59:47 am »

It looks like a typical rebacked CE card. The centering is a bit off to the left and the corners are not how they supposed to be. Try putting it next to a real card against a strong light.

E.g.: To the left a real beta jet, to the right a fake ruby

The fact that it doesn't 'feel right' is probably the glue that didn't spread very well between the cards.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:02:24 am by Eddie » Logged

No room in the house exceeds a length of twenty-five feet, let alone fifty feet, let alone fifty-six and a half feet, and yet Chad and Daisy's voices are echoing, each call responding with an entirely separate answer. In the living room, Navidson discovers the echoes emanating from a dark, doorless hallway which has appeared out of nowhere in the west wall.

House of Leaves - Danielewski
RaleighNCTourneys
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:29:38 am »

On the back of the card I also notice that fine white line around all edges, which indicates it may be fake.

ARSENAL
If you play Vintage near Buffalo, PM me!
ashiXIII
Basic User

ashiXIII@hotmail.com ashiXIII
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:01:23 pm »

It looks like a typical rebacked CE card. The centering is a bit off to the left and the corners are not how they supposed to be. Try putting it next to a real card against a strong light.

The fact that it doesn't 'feel right' is probably the glue that didn't spread very well between the cards.

I don't think the centering indicates a reback in this case. If you notice, it's off on the front and the back, and it looks to be an indentical amount. Normally the rebacked cards are only off on the front (because the back is from a different card) The corners do look a little weird, but that also happens a lot in older cards due to play wear. I can't say for sure whether I think it's fake or real without having the card in front of me, but it looks real to me.
CrashTest
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:43:56 pm »

There is definitely something funny about this card, but nothing conclusive can be said by just the scan without examining it in person. Definitely looks suspicious, just in the way the corners look.

Rebacked CE cards can get close to real cards, but something always gives it away.

Did you do the light test on it, comparing it to another card?
UR
Basic User

budweisur@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:33 pm »

No, we haven't done a light test, but now we'll be sure to test it against our own Beta moxen to see if it is real.

I'll be sure to use this one because it looks easy enough to do and it'll probably filter it out if it is fake.

Thanks guys!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: