TheManaDrain.com
February 25, 2020, 01:26:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramblings of a Deranged Anusien  (Read 4303 times)
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:43:18 pm »

(Expect the title of this to change)

I just wanted to take a little time to talk about Legacy for the past few weeks.

I worked the Planar Chaos Pre-release in Richmond, Virginia with [Klep] and Katzby from TMD/#TMD.  Katzby got me thinking about power-level errata post-Time Vault, and he maintained that Frenetic Efreet and Flash still had power level errata.  Last that week as a joke I tried to get Flash to be un-errataed, because it would be sick in Vintage.  The cards I considered it interacted with:
Academy Rector
Sundering Titan
Worldgorger Dragon
Eternal Witness
--
there might have been some more minor ones but those were the major ones.  I sent an e-mail, but we failed to get any Smmenen-style momentum going.

When Future Sight came out, Yawgatog posted the diffs.  I was breezing through the changes, and I noticed the erratum was removed.  I immediately started talking "OMGWTFlash" on IRC to BrassMan, Katzby, [Klep], [Roxas] and a few others.  I also went and bought 12 off Cardshark (too bad I didn't have the guts to buy 50 like Rich Shay did), and started talking to Veggies online. I maintained that I was sure it was good in Legacy, and he wasn't certain.  I offered to work on it in a week or so when classes lightened up (for reference, I just finished my last exam today), but he was skeptical.

The next day he IMs me and says: "Keep this secret, but it turns out it's sick with Protean Hulk".

--Next time: The initial Team Reflection testing
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:40:24 pm by Anusien » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 06:10:48 pm »

So it's been a while, but I wanted to continue posting in my blog.

The other day, someone called Tarmogoyf the new Brainstorm and Green the new Blue.  I believe it was Pat Maeder in a closed thread somewhere.  Anyway, what he says really seems to resonate.  If you're in Green, Tarmogoyf is pretty much an auto-include unless you have a reason not to.  I would seriously consider Tarmogoyf in UGW Slivers even though he's not a Sliver, simply because he's THAT good.  I was one of the Goyf's biggest proponents from the beginning and even I did not anticipate it being as powerful as it is.  Therefore, the decks that have the potential to be good are the decks that are the best suited to abusing Tarmogoyf.  Against non-Tarmogoyf decks you want to find and pump Goyf as quickly as you can.  Against other decks with Tarmogoyf, you want to find more Tarmogoyfs than they do, and make yours beat theirs in fights.

One of the most interesting, if not the most powerful Constructed decks, is GW Goyf.  The most interesting tools are Edge of Autumn, Flagstones of Trokair, and Stonewood Invocation or Thrill of the Hunt.  Now I don't think we are to that point yet, but I find that package very interesting.

Anyway, all of this is a roundabout way to say that I really like Tarmogoyf.  I'm starting to consider running Transmute spells at 2 or tutors just to find more Tarmogoyfs.  Tarmogoyf also happens to go really well with Rancor.  That said, here is the strategy I'm working on.

// Lands
    4 Taiga
    2 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
    3 Jotun Grunt
    2 Scab-Clan Mauler
    3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Watchwolf
    4 Tarmogoyf

// Spells
    2 Stonewood Invocation
    3 Price of Progress
    3 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Rancor
    1 Bonesplitter

GWR and UWR decks are difficult for me to build and tune because they have the widest range of useful tools.  In here, the short list for creatures: Kird Ape, Mogg Fanatic, Isamaru Hound of Konda, Savannah Lions, Nimble Mongoose, Tarmogoyf, Scab-Clan Mauler, Watchwolf, Wild Mongrel, Werebear, Mystic Enforcer, Rumbling Slum, Burning-Tree Shaman, Giant Solifuge, Jotun Grunt, Call of the Herd.
Spells: Stonewood Invocation, Bonesplitter, Leonin Scimitar, Price of Progress, Firebolt, Seal of Fire, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt, Rancor, Lightning Helix, Assault//Battery

Magic Level 3 Judge

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:03:17 pm »

Changes:

Seal of Fire does everything Chain Lightning wants to do, but it also helps reliably pump Scab-Clan Mauler.  I'm sick of that boy not getting pumped when I want him to.

Scab-Clan Mauler is down to 2, which suggests to me that I either need to up the count and figure out how to accommodate him, or just cut him altogether.  If I could get the support structure in place, I'd love to run Boros Swiftblade.  I wonder if I could bring him in post-board when Jittes come in.  Then again, bringing in a two drop that is really only good when I already have Jitte is the definition of win-more.

Two sideboard slots are open:
// Lands
    2 Mountain
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Plateau
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Taiga
    2 Savannah

// Creatures
    3 Jotun Grunt
    3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    2 Scab-Clan Mauler
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Watchwolf

// Spells
    3 Price of Progress
    2 Stonewood Invocation
    4 Rancor
    3 Seal of Fire
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Orim's Chant
SB: 1 Jotun Grunt
SB: 4 Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 1 Abeyance
SB: 3 Krosan Grip

On MWS, Nihil suggested another way to take the deck: Rgwb.  You get Cabal Therapy and Dark Confidant.  His build was packing fewer creatures, but it had a full set of Rancor in addition to Umezawa's Jitte.  I think if I would build the deck it would look something like this:
18 land
3 Chrome Mox
4 Boros Swiftbalde
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Jotun Grunt
4 Kird Ape
4 Dark Confidant
4 Rancor
4 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix

There are two things at work here: #1) Dark Confidant really doesn't play well with Price of Progress, especially in a four color build, #2) You lose a lot of the consistency.  Sure, you get Bob to help you see more Tarmogoyfs and Grunts, but it is at the cost of the other 3/3s that can pick up a Rancor and trade with Tarmogoyf.  I would be extremely interested to see someone else pursue this route, but I remain skeptical.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:08:40 pm by Anusien » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »

It's basically a pipe dream for me to build any non-blue decks.  I really don't have the manabase.  Decks like the zoo deck I just posted are fun, but I do not play them well and I have difficulty building them in paper.  This next deck I can throw together pretty easily (I think I am only missing the Meddling Mages, which are probably the next pricey card I am going to acquire, since I <3 UWx).

My UWR Pyroclasm deck was the most disciplined deck I ever built. The entire thing was designed to get the most efficiency and consistency as possible.  Each creature had to fit like 20 characteristics and the manabase was tested and tuned and trimmed to be resilient.  I really tried to wring every last percentage point out of it as possible.  This is interesting to me because this next deck uses the same shell, but it might be the greediest deck I have ever built.

I really think Tarmogoyf might be the best card in Legacy.  Most of my thoughts nowadays are how to break Tarmogoyf.  I've become convinced that you win creature fights in Legacy in basically five ways: 1) Run Jotun Grunt, 2) Run Tarmogoyf, 3) Draw more Tarmogoyfs than they do, 4) Resolve more Tarmogoyfs and Grunts than they do, 5) Make your Tarmogoyfs beat theirs in a fight.  The answer to #3 and #4 is Dark Confidant, which I was not greedy enough to put in my last deck.  With this though, you are basically pulled into a four color deck.  My logic started as UG deck and sort of splashed for two creatures pretty quickly.  The easiest way for me to build it was to slot it into my UWR Pyroclasm core, which left me with this deck:

// Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Island

// Creatures
    3 Jotun Grunt
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Tarmogoyf

// Spells
    4 AEther Vial
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Threads of Disloyalty
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Stifle

Equipment wins Goyf fights, and lets your Grunts beat their Goyfs, and lets your other men beat their Mongeese or Sea Drakes.
Bob used to get a lot of hate because he is fantastically terrible staring down a Mogg Fanatic.  However it turns out he's much better walking into an open board, and Bob versus nothing wins most of the time.

The draw package started out when Tarmogoyf freed us from the cantrip package.  You obviously run Brainstorm, but then what?  I threw out all the 1 casting cost draw spells because they all basically suck.  The problem is that most of the twos suck, and the threes are good but ludicrously expensive.  I found Sensei's Divining Top which is fantastic with Bob and Vial, and suggested Counterbalance in place of the very losey Counterspell.  That built the deck.

The last point of contention is Stifle v Spell Snare, which I am undecided on, and Threads of Disloyalty v Swords to Plowshares.  My thought is that most of the time you just want to steal their Goyfs and beat down, but Swords to Plowshares is much better against the field.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:00:47 pm »

Also, 16 Goyfs in the Top 8 of GenCon (which I called, go me!)  But all of them were either UGR Threshold or UG Threshold.  Soooo original.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:35:12 pm »

I saw a cool idea on the local message board.  They got 8 people together on a forum and sat down to rotisserie draft all of Magic.  The only cards not allowed are the Vintage banned cards.  Other than that you go 1-8-1 taking turns drafting from all of Vintage.  I think this would be hilariously cool to do.  We could start a new thread and post our picks (publicly), with an updated list of what's been taken and what order it went.  Then after each player has picked some ludicrous number of cards, like 100 (they used 65), you build a 60 card deck and sideboard.

It would take a long time to draft if people aren't active, no lies, but I think it would be really really interesting to watch and participate.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Magic Level 3 Judge

Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Adepts
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »

It seems fun but logistically difficult. Would be more fun to do in person, just naming cards - AND you don't get to look stuff up, you have to remember the card! Extra spicy!

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:25:03 am »

It seems fun but logistically difficult. Would be more fun to do in person, just naming cards - AND you don't get to look stuff up, you have to remember the card! Extra spicy!
Would take forever in person.  I imagined doing it online because then people could watch, and you could get more players that aren't local interested.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Adepts
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:05 pm »

Obviously include a time limit to make your picks. Or draft one day, play another.

Online, you run into every problem the ToCs used to.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »

The problem is, for example, I wouldn't be able to do it if we did it in person.  It was discussed to do it online through IRC or something, but as cool of an idea as this is, I'm not sure I'd be willing to devote an entire day to it exclusively.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: