TheManaDrain.com
May 21, 2019, 05:55:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICBM Open 2.5, 1st place report  (Read 2385 times)
AngryPheldagrif
Basic User

It's funny because I'm better than you!

HunterKiller403
View Profile Email
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:49:51 am »

The original report and discussion can be found on TeamICBM.com. Interesting to note is that this exact list including my very minor modifications is the one used by Smmenen in his Vintage Primer on StarCity this past week.

Tyrant Oath, aka SoManyInsaneShays.dec

4 Forbidden Orchard
1 Island
2 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
2 Tropical Island
2 Volcanic Island
2 Underground Sea
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
2 Tidespout Tyrant
1 Brain Freeze
1 Flash of Insight
1 Krosan Reclamation
4 Oath of Druids
4 Gush
4 Brainstorm
3 Ponder
4 Thoughtseize
4 Force of Will
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
3 Merchant Scroll
1 Fastbond
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Time Walk

SB:
2 Pithing Needle
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Blazing Archon
2 Extirpate
3 Red Elemental Blast
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Duress
2 Shattering Spree
1 Tendrils of Agony

As you can see I played Rich Shay's Tyrant Oath list with minute modifications. I swapped Lotus Petal in for Mox Pearl (as per Smmenen's advice) and added the fourth Thoughseize over the fourth Ponder due to seeing multiple Flash decks in attendance. The sideboard was minorly tweaked, with the 5th Duress-effect and a single Goblin Bombardment for the mirror.

Round 1: Greg with GAT

Game 1: We trade Thoughseizes but I outdraw him and make Oath stick.

Game 2: I Extirpate his Gushes, see a hand of Krosan Grip, Mox, and Berserk, and leisurely assemble a few spells and Tendrils to finish him off.

Round 2: Duby with MaskNought

Game 1: I punch through an early Oath and combo off to race his Mask.

Game 2: He drops and early Nought but loses the counter war over Stifle. Oath into the win commences.

Round 3: Owen with Flash

Game 1: He mulls twice, keeping a 5 with combo pieces but no mana. I race him

Game 2: He opens with Lotus, Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Sea, Flash, win with FoW backup. My only loss of the day was pretty lopsided.

Game 3: He keeps a solid hand but holds out on comboing for some reason. He casts Flash around turn 4 and I respond by Extirpating his Forces. I can't help but notice that the rest of his hand is two Pacts of Negation, a second Flash, and a Force of Will. I let his bluff resolve and Yawgmoth's Will into the win several turns later.

Round 4: Matt with Flash

Game 1: I actually thought he was playing Shops, which would have made my first turn Tropical, Fastbond, Sea, Orchard, Oath (with Ancestral still in the hand) a heck of a lot stronger. I had no Force so if he had a first turn kill I would have lost. He didn't though and I combo him out on turn 2.

Game 2: We go through several drawn-out counter wars, but my multitude of REBs and Extirpating his Pacts sealed it, as he ends up dying to the Summoner's Pact trigger.

Round 5: Michael with Drain Tendrils

Game 1: I open with a nice Orchard, Mox, Oath, to which he replies with Sea, Jet, Lotus, Demonic. He is unable to reach a turn 1 kill and instead ends up bouncing my Oath and loses the resultant counter war over it and I combo him out on turn 3.

Game 2: I start eating away at his resources via Extirpate and punch through an early Yawgmoth's Will into Tendrils.

Round 6: Derek with Shop Aggro

Game 1: I open with Sea, Thoughtseize to see a hand of 2 Wastelands, 2 Goblin Welders, Mox Pearl, Sphere of Resistance, and Triskelion. I take the Sphere, he Wastes my Sea, and I play a Fetchland the next turn followed by Orchard, Oath for the win.

Game 2: He has a quick start with Chalice 0 and Thorn, but no Wasteland lets me clear his disruption with a replicated Shattering Spree followed up by Oath.

T8: Soly with PonderLong

Game 1: My first turn Thoughtseize reveals a bizarre hand of Sea, Tendrils, Memory Jar, and 4 Brainstorms. He ends up casting 3 Brainstorms and 3 Ponders over the course of the game, but without finding his third land until turn 5 or 6, by which point I am so grossly ahead of him in resources I am able to easily combo out with GushBond.

Game 2: His hand is better but I have first turn Recall, multiple REBs, and he ends up miscounting how many I have left and losing a counter war that pretty much burned his entire hand and left my winning Oath the next turn to resolve unmolested.

T4: Matt with Flash

Game 1: I keep a control heavy hand and basically spend my time assembling disruption pieces and praying I find my combo before he forces through his. I end up tapping down all but one Sea to cast Oath and he goes for it. I have two Forces and two blue cards which are answered by a Pact and a Force. He starts to combo off with the Reveillark and I'm forced to learn the combo on the fly because my last card in hand is Chain of Vapor. It turns out he'd drawn Body Snatcher so when I finally figure out when I need to Chain the Carrion Feeder he has to pass the turn and loses to Pact on his next upkeep.

Game 2: I mulligan into a solid opening of Orchard, Recall, Lotus, go, but he clearly is content to sit back and assemble a million pieces of disruption. He finally goes for it against my full grip and ends up Pacting twice (both REBed) but I have the extra Force. He passes the turn and I pass back expecting him to lose to Pact triggers. He instead untaps and casts a second Flash during his upkeep. Luckily for me the card I drew during my turn was Krosan Reclamation. I let him start to combo out again and fizzle Reveillark's trigger with my Reclamation and he dies to the Pacts.

Finals: Michael with Drain Tendrils

We agree to play out a single game to decide the official winner and I'm able to outdraw him and play around his Drains until I force through a handy Oath. I probably would have beaten him handily in a second game but I'm feeling charitable and I'm exhausted with a bad migraine by this point.

Final record in matches was 9 and 0 (well technically the last one was a draw but we did play out half to decide a winner) and 17 to 1 in games. The deck was disgustingly powerful. I considered myself uniquely qualified to pilot it considering my lengthy record with both Oath and Empty Gifts, and was rewarded with a wrecking ball-esque run through a rather competitive metagame. The deck is easily the most powerful I've had the privilege to pilot since the restriction of Gifts Ungiven. I wouldn't have changed a single card and never once felt like I was at a disadvantage during a match. I haven't played Magic in months and with literally one hour of testing to refresh the memory I was able to tear through a tournament, go into the T8 as first seed by 5 full match points, and wreck the T8 just as thoroughly. Well done, Rich Shay, well done.

Peace, love and the pursuit of happiness,
Dan Carp - the Angry Pheldagrif

A day without spam is like a day without sunshine.
Sextiger
Basic User

My nickname was born for these days

Sextiger187
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:01:31 pm »

Unbanned and a Full Member, Welcome back into the Mix

Good job on the Report

"After these years of arguing I've conceded that Merchant Scroll in particular can be an exception to this rule because it is a card that you NEVER want to see in multiples, under any circumstances. Merchant Scroll can be seen as restricted in a way because should you have 2 in a hand, only one is really useful (that is, only one can get Ancestral)."
vartemis
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:05:30 pm »

Game 2: I mulligan into a solid opening of Orchard, Recall, Lotus, go, but he clearly is content to sit back and assemble a million pieces of disruption. He finally goes for it against my full grip and ends up Pacting twice (both REBed) but I have the extra Force. He passes the turn and I pass back expecting him to lose to Pact triggers. He instead untaps and casts a second Flash during his upkeep. Luckily for me the card I drew during my turn was Krosan Reclamation. I let him start to combo out again and fizzle Reveillark's trigger with my Reclamation and he dies to the Pacts.

I double checked in the rules forum, and unless he cast more pacts than the ones you REBed and Forced, he should not have died to pact triggers because you countered the spells.

Good report though.

j
CwaM
Basic User

cwamm@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:29:14 pm »

I double checked in the rules forum, and unless he cast more pacts than the ones you REBed and Forced, he should not have died to pact triggers because you countered the spells.

Good report though.

j

you REB the flash, not the pact, obvious play
AngryPheldagrif
Basic User

It's funny because I'm better than you!

HunterKiller403
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:32:30 pm »

Good report though.

j

you REB the flash, not the pact, obvious play

My apologies, I misstated. I did in fact REB the Flash after letting each Pact resolve, and he also had gone off via Summoner's Pact, putting him with 14 mana worth of triggers against his board of Underground, Mox, Tropical.

A day without spam is like a day without sunshine.
vartemis
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:47:22 pm »

My apologies, I misstated. I did in fact REB the Flash after letting each Pact resolve, and he also had gone off via Summoner's Pact, putting him with 14 mana worth of triggers against his board of Underground, Mox, Tropical.

No prob.  I just read what you wrote and it seemed to me that you were blasting the pacts, despite the obv. play.

j
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: