TheManaDrain.com
September 24, 2020, 12:37:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jan 24th SoCal Library of Alexandria at Dear Mr. Fantazy  (Read 3417 times)
MrFantazy
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »

Thanks to everyone that came out yesterday!

After starting only 45 minutes late, we had a very smooth tournament.  18 people played 5 rounds of swiss with a cut to top 4.

Congratulations to the winners, Josh Stewart and Robert Chaplan who split the finals.

There was an awesome variety of decks yesterday, and I commend everyone for your efforts to shake up the format!

OmniCombo
Tarmogoyf Aggro/Control
Tez w/Vault Combo
Psychatog w/Tendrils
UWG Aggro
AdNauseam TEPS
Oath x2
Painter x2
Goblins x2
Parfait
Manaless Ichorid
MonoRed Stax
5-Color Stax x3

The top 4 decks on the list above were the top 4 in the tournament. The decklists were:

Josh Stewart - 1st

OmniCombo
4 City of Brass
4 Forbidden Orchard
3 Gemstone Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Underground Sea
4 Dark Ritual
4 Oath of Druids
2 Hellkite Overlord
4 Duress
2 Cabal Ritual
3 Grim Tutor
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Vault
1 Sol Ring
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Tinker
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Mind's Desire
1 Memory Jar
1 Time Vault
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Brainstorm
1 Voltaic Key
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister

2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Orim's Chant
4 Thoughtseize
2 Pyroclasm
2 Chain of Vapor
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 Bogardan Hellkite

Robert Chaplan - 1st (The only deck undefeated for the day)

TarmoBeatdown

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Quirion Dryad
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
3 Null Rod
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Regrowth
4 Wasteland
4 Tropical Island
1 Strip Mine
4 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Ponder
4 Seal of Removal
4 Street Wraith
1 Echoing Truth
1 Merchants Scroll
2 Misdirection
1 Brainstorm

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Tormod's Crypt
2 Energy Flux
1 Oxidize
1 Umezawa's jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Rushing River

Matt Bartmus - 3rd

Cunning Tog
4 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
4 Underground Sea
2 Swamp
2 Snow-Covered Island
1 Tundra
1 Tropical Island
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus
2 Psychatog
1 Morphling
1 Tendrils of Agony
4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
2 Negate
1 Echoing Truth
1 Balance
2 Cunning Wish
3 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
2 Deep Analysis
1 Vampiric Tutor
3 Null Rod
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Vindicate
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall

2 Pithing Needle
2 Swords to Plowshares
1 Misdirection
2 Exptirpate
1 Berserk
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Echoing Truth
1 Trickbind
1 Brain Freeze
1 Krosan Grip
1 Meditate
1 Hurkylls' Recall

Niles Skinner - 4th

QY10
1 Stripmine
1 Academy Ruins
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Wasteland
7 Island
3 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
3 Back to Basics
1 Voltaic Key
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Impulse
4 Mana Drain
4 Mana Leak
4 Force of Will
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Fact or Fiction
3 Powder Keg
3 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Ophidian
1 Time Vault
1 Time Walk

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Energy Flux
4 Propaganda
3 Sower of Temptation

Thanks again, and I can't wait for the next one.

Justin DMF
Robert the Swordsman
Basic User

See you later, sunshine.

RobtheSwordsman
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

Thanks to everyone for showing up; it was a pleasure to see so many new and familiar faces and we really hope to get turnouts like this (and bigger!) in the future.

As always Justin, amazing tournament and thank you once again for going above-and-beyond (pack of Legends as a door prize? Unreal!) and for making sure everyone had a great experience.

See everyone next time. Very Happy

I'm sorry, Miss Nanako. Looks like I won't be able to take you to the beach like I promised.
Nehptis
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:02:50 pm »

Interesting lists for the top spots.

It's tough to argue with success.  But, Omnicombo?  No FOWs and no basic lands?  Is the strategy to just mull to a god hand, pray that a Wasteland or Null Rod don't see play and then go off with either Oath or Storm or Vault/Key?

The Tarm deck is a variation on BUG fish which I think is very strong right now.  But, I'm curious about the Dryads.  On average they couldn't have gotten that big with the types of spells in this deck.  Not to mention I', pretty sure that cycling a Wraith won't Grow the Dryad, correct?
Mr. Fantastic
Basic User

Master of Illusion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:53:05 pm »

It's tough to argue with success.  But, Omnicombo?  No FOWs and no basic lands?  Is the strategy to just mull to a god hand, pray that a Wasteland or Null Rod don't see play and then go off with either Oath or Storm or Vault/Key?

The Tarm deck is a variation on BUG fish which I think is very strong right now.  But, I'm curious about the Dryads.  On average they couldn't have gotten that big with the types of spells in this deck.  Not to mention I', pretty sure that cycling a Wraith won't Grow the Dryad, correct?

Yes, cycling is an ability, not a spell.

Sounds like a great tournament.  Congrats to the winners.

"Who needs the sun when you've got me around?"
óJaya Ballard, Task Mage
Joshs
Basic User

Yes, I have a man crush

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:57 pm »

This deck plays enough threats to not warrant needing force of will or basic lands. It also doesn't play any fetches so the mana base would need reworking to play all of your five color spells anyway. The deck plays differently based on the match-up, against ichorid/aggro/combo you try to combo using the ritual/tutor/will plan. Against control/fish-decks you use oath as a 2 mana must counter threat that they lose the game to and that you can easily cast on turn-one making force of will a must have card for them and allowing you to set up future plays by making them use force+blue card that allows you to set up different ways to combo.

Regarding Null Rod and wasteland, first off null rod is a hinderance to almost every deck in vintage so I think that comparison is a little unfair, and the combination of wastes and null rod is enough to make a lot vintage decks lose not just this one. Plus the deck can win through null rod and waste effects the same as long variants by setting up a ritual chain into yawgmoth's will. Not to mention the possibility of just playing an oath, seeing as which it only costs 2 mana, null rod or waste by themselves are not nearly enough to stop this deck from winning. There is a friend of ours who has been playing fish with null rod, waste, daze and FoW since Dark Confidant got printed and has said that this match-up is almost unwinnable and has since given up on it, as the deck attacks from so many angles it is hard to stop it.

The vault-combo is there to enable random wins (I know this isn't the best plan) If you start the game with one of the cards in your hand you can use any of the tutor effects in the deck to find the other piece and win via-infinite turns. It allows a way to win that requires little investment as you usually use this as your last win condition unless a piece is in your opening hand or in a draw spell. The vault-key combo is the weakest part of the deck and could easily be replaced with other cards.

I don't use the 10 point system, I rate girls on the binary system either 1 or 0.
Cardboard Jesus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »

There is a friend of ours who has been playing fish with null rod, waste, daze and FoW since Dark Confidant got printed and has said that this match-up is almost unwinnable and has since given up on it, as the deck attacks from so many angles it is hard to stop it.

Absolutely true. The strength of this deck lies in its ability to dodge the traditional storm combo hate by winning with Oath of Druids. Oath is just so good against both of combo's traditionally bad matchups (workshops and fish). These decks attack combo by cutting off their mana and making it difficult for them to play lots of spells, especially high cost ones, and Oath is a very effective solution to this, as it's a 2-mana spell that wins the game on its own. Although it's not impossible for fish to beat this deck, it's quite a rough matchup, given the multiple angles of attack.

On another note, hats off to Justin for running an awesome tournament. Lookin' forward to the next one!

John

Harduvel
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:07 am »

Is someone who was at the tournament able to post the names of the players who placed 5th to 8th? That would be much appreciated for the purpose of TMD Rankings.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Joshs
Basic User

Yes, I have a man crush

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:25:30 pm »

It was only a cut to top 4 as Justin wasn't expecting that many people and announced it being top 4 so that is what we did. Besides a cut to top 8 at an 18 man event is 44% of the field, that could be a bit much.

I don't use the 10 point system, I rate girls on the binary system either 1 or 0.
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:21 pm »

I gathered that from the original post, but if anyone happens to know who placed 5-8, that would be good, even if the cut was only to top 4.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
MrFantazy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:45 pm »

5th through 8th place were:

5 - Ken Yoon - Painter
6 - John Harduvel - Ad Nauseam
7 - Charlie Prince - 5 Color Stax
8 - Jeff Acton - Oath

Justin
DMF
Pages: [1]