TheManaDrain.com
May 28, 2020, 07:23:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Sven, the Lost Lion: Voltron Blog  (Read 64973 times)
Cyberpunker
Basic User

I just gotta topdeck better than you ^_^.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 12:19:38 am »

Harder AND more expensive now.

The sad thing is I probably need another Lotus and another Mox... Pearl or Ruby, I forget, one or the other.  Just b/c the ones I have are in terrible condition and I need to swap the sleeves on them every 4 matches or so.

You should try double/triple sleeving.

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:49 am »

Harder AND more expensive now.

The sad thing is I probably need another Lotus and another Mox... Pearl or Ruby, I forget, one or the other.  Just b/c the ones I have are in terrible condition and I need to swap the sleeves on them every 4 matches or so.

You should try double/triple sleeving.

I have the deck in KMC perfect fits and KMC regular non-matte sleeves, which helps somewhat.

Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.

Team East Coast Wins
Rico Suave
True
Adepts
Basic User

Omnibrad
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:27 pm »

I have an idea for your next article. 

Just do a summary of every time you've beaten me in a tournament match.  You'll have plenty of material for a full article!

Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
-noitcelfeR maeT-
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »

I do seem to have your number lately.  Not sure why, but that seems to happen sometimes...

On the flip side, Chris M. has wrecked me twice with Noble Fish when I played Dredge, and apparently Helen Keller could beat me with Dark Times.  I'm 0-3 against that deck in 2010.

Team East Coast Wins
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »

I do seem to have your number lately.  Not sure why, but that seems to happen sometimes...

On the flip side, Chris M. has wrecked me twice with Noble Fish when I played Dredge, and apparently Helen Keller could beat me with Dark Times.  I'm 0-3 against that deck in 2010.

I got a good laugh out of that.

Was it Max Brown every time?

"Ill break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Ill drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:49 pm »

I got a good laugh out of that.

Was it Max Brown every time?

No, but he has beaten me twice, in two different tournaments.  The other time was in Harrisburg when I lost in the top 8.

In case anyone's curious, here's my article on Legacy from today: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/19248_The_Long_Winding_Road_LegacyAttacking_is_Awesome.html

Team East Coast Wins
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 04:16:18 am »

The Long & Winding Road A Tournament Report?

I didn't see your article in the Open forums and I just wanted to say it was an absolute pleasure to read.

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
Marske
Mindsculptor
Full Members
Basic User

Go beyond Synergy and enter Poetry

marius.vanzundert@live.nl marske1984
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 04:51:02 am »

Oh man I loved that Report, great writing. It seems like you're the only writer still doing vintage stuff as Menendian has taken on Legacy...

The Seasingers are also a piece of Dutch Tech, actually his entire list is pretty "Dutch" Wink (thanks for the covert props)

Riding a polka-powered zombie T-Rex into a necromancer family reunion in the middle of an evil ghost hurricane.

"Meandeckers act like they forgot about Dredge." - Matt Elias

The Atog Lord: I'm not an Atog because I'm GOOD with machines Wink
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:55 am »

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.  I just wish you guys couldve seen my game against Joe, it was awesome. 

For game 3, I opened up on REB, Mana Drain, Orchard, Orchard, Mox Sappire, and I believe a Trop and a fetch.  Its kind of a loose keep, but in the mirror it isnt terrible; if Joe tries to use Oath against me, Ive got two orchards I can sandbag.  If he tries to go Tinker, I have Drain active on turn one and REB back-up on turn 2.  Ive found the more recent Oath decks play out like Control vs. Control for the most part, so having two counters and plenty of mana isnt the worst thing in the world.  Its by no means a great hand, but it isnt awful.  Obviously, I draw Gifts off the top, then Ancestral Recall, then fire the Recall at end of turn and draw into Oath, Force, Spell Pierce I get Oath active, counter Joes attempts to Key/Vault me and then counter his Yawg Will, then from an empty hand draw Time Walk, and Time Walk draws me into Will with 2/3 of my deck in my Graveyard.  It was a great game for a crowd of people to be watching, and Joes a cool dude and didnt stab me in the eye with a pen for being such a sack, so thats a plus.

Marius I figured youd catch that comment.  The deck is solid, nice work with it.

Twaun Are you going to GenCon this year? 

Team East Coast Wins
Marske
Mindsculptor
Full Members
Basic User

Go beyond Synergy and enter Poetry

marius.vanzundert@live.nl marske1984
View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

Marius I figured youd catch that comment.  The deck is solid, nice work with it.
Obviously I caught it Wink I follow your articles closely as they are always well written with a sense of humor I can appreciate, this one was another showcase of your great ability to write an interesting piece. Oh and again thanks for the props !!

Riding a polka-powered zombie T-Rex into a necromancer family reunion in the middle of an evil ghost hurricane.

"Meandeckers act like they forgot about Dredge." - Matt Elias

The Atog Lord: I'm not an Atog because I'm GOOD with machines Wink
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

Does Personalbackfire have the ability to shape shift into a Tiger?

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »

Does Personalbackfire have the ability to shape shift into a Tiger?

Provided that he receives enough pep-talks, yes.

I'll see you there, if not before.  I'm still hoping to get some kind of A-team together for testing, but I imagine geography and teams/cliques and their super-secret "tech" will prevent that from happening.

Team East Coast Wins
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »

I hope to be making the trip out this year.  If I do, I'll get some games in with you. 

"Ill break my staff,
Ill drown my book."

The Return of Superman

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:53 pm »

So this made me laugh.  It's in a review on Amazon.com for a can of Uranium Ore:

34 of 37 people found the following review helpful:
 should be called miracle ore, September 19, 2009
By    Hank "Hank" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uranium Ore
I accidentally breathed in some uranium dust as I was grinding the sample into powder to use to clean my Three Wolf Moon Short-Sleeved T-Shirt(makes it glow). My arm I lost in Vietnam has grown back with an extra finger(index), my 'that's what she said' jokes make women expose their breasts to me, and I now have an extra child. I can only assume that these wonderful occurrences are attributed to the uranium ore, since I stopped drinking 1 Gallon Tuscan whole milk a year ago for reasons I can not mention on the internet.

Team East Coast Wins
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:22 am »

So this made me laugh.  It's in a review on Amazon.com for a can of Uranium Ore:

34 of 37 people found the following review helpful:
 should be called miracle ore, September 19, 2009
By    Hank "Hank" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uranium Ore
I accidentally breathed in some uranium dust as I was grinding the sample into powder to use to clean my Three Wolf Moon Short-Sleeved T-Shirt(makes it glow). My arm I lost in Vietnam has grown back with an extra finger(index), my 'that's what she said' jokes make women expose their breasts to me, and I now have an extra child. I can only assume that these wonderful occurrences are attributed to the uranium ore, since I stopped drinking 1 Gallon Tuscan whole milk a year ago for reasons I can not mention on the internet.

LMAO!  Very Happy

Hey.  Wait a minute.  We can still post here?

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »

I thought I'd give it a shot, and it worked.

I saw Inception today.  I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater and immediately wanted to see it again.  Maybe Star Trek, last year, but for different reasons.  This was a different kind of experience.

For those who haven't seen it yet, you should.  It's kind of like Dark City + Ocean's 11, and the cast is beyond ridiculous in terms of talent level.

Team East Coast Wins
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

If you can see this board, you can post in it - I figured nobody would abuse it, and really, who cares? Very Happy

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:41 pm »

I figure Steven will be glad to hear that as well.

Glad to hear Inception was good, I was really interested in seeing it. Now, that is even more true.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »

I saw Inception today.  I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater and immediately wanted to see it again.  Maybe Star Trek, last year, but for different reasons.  This was a different kind of experience.

For those who haven't seen it yet, you should.  It's kind of like Dark City + Ocean's 11, and the cast is beyond ridiculous in terms of talent level.

My wife and I are planning to go this weekend.  Thanks for the tip.  Dark City and Oceans 11 are two of my favs.

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:35 pm »

Since that other thread got locked before I could respond, I have zero interest in creating / maintaining some kind of alternate DCI Banned/Restricted list.  The format has to be the DCI format, there should be only 1 Vintage. 

Also, there's no way we'd ever get five people to agree on a list.  There'd be fisticuffs, I assure you.

Team East Coast Wins
Demonic Attorney
Administrator
Basic User

ravingderelict17
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 01:09:49 pm »

That entire subforum perpetually teeters on the edge of reaching a critical mass of stupid and swallowing us all.  The only reason it exists is so that the mods don't have to continually close threads where these discussions crop up everywhere else on the site.

I used to have a running catalog of the most ridiculous suggestions to amend the B/R list proposed on TMD, but I discontinued it after a while.  Some highlights were:

Unrestrict Mox Pearl

Unrestrict Mind's Desire

Restrict fetchlands

Restrict Crucible of Worlds

Unrestrict Black Lotus

Unban and errata Chaos Orb to work as 2, T: Flip a coin, vindicate anything if it comes up your way. 

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:20 pm »

That entire subforum perpetually teeters on the edge of reaching a critical mass of stupid and swallowing us all.  The only reason it exists is so that the mods don't have to continually close threads where these discussions crop up everywhere else on the site.

I actually think its good though, for that sub-forum to exist.  It is nice to be able to move that stuff somewhere instead of having threads self-destruct.  And, I think it helps the mod / user relationship, for whatever that's worth.

Still, I do read some threads there and wonder if those people are actually playing the same game I am.

Team East Coast Wins
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 02:35:54 am »

Saw Inception.  It was that good.

"Ill break my staff,
Ill drown my book."

The Return of Superman

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:50 am »

Has anyone picked up the new Arcade Fire?

This is embarrassing but I never really listened to their 2nd album, it was just one of those weird things where my cd player in my car stopped reading burned CDs and my current commute is really short to bother with iPod + radio transmitter, and it isnt really something Id play during poker or while working out or whatever, so I just never listened to it.  Anyway on the Gen Con trip I listened to it three times, and obviously it is very good.  Just curious if anyone has their new one and how it compares to their earlier work.

I read Infected by Scott Sigler on Wednesday morning while waiting for my plane to arrive.  Pretty cool book, in some ways the writing comes off as a bit amateurish, but Im not sure that wasnt intentional because of its original medium, so maybe that isnt the right word to use.  The whole thing sort of has a serial or pulp kind of feel.  I liked it.  Same thing here, has anyone read the sequel(s)?  Id hate to read it if its poor, because this was pretty good. 

On the flight back I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  Really enjoyed that one, considerably more than Pride and Predjudice and Zombies.  I read P&P in high school and college and hated it both times, and several special lady friends have forced me to watch various versions.  While the idea was cool, the fact that this was still 80% a book that I despite made it too hard to get through.  This Abe Lincoln book is pretty awesome, though.  For one thing, its take on vampires is a little different than elsewhere, which I liked.  Obviously the whole thing is absurd but its enjoyable.  Itd make a hilarious / awesome movie.

Team East Coast Wins
Cyberpunker
Basic User

I just gotta topdeck better than you ^_^.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »

I dreamt I was playing Zoo vs Madness Survival. And he played 2 Vengevines on turn 2 without using Survival. And I played 2 Tarmogoyf and lost. I woke up devastated that I lost but then realized that he could not have played 2 Vengevines on turn 2 without Survival and I felt much better. /random rant

I think Wizards of the Coast has sent their own team to plant ideas in my mind. Why else would I dream of playing MTG when I have enough of it in real life?

Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

Add me to the list. I was maybe 30 minutes deep when I leaned over to my g/f and whispered "I'm buying this movie". I can't honestly remember the last time I've decided in the theater that I needed to own a non-animated movie (I have to add that b/c of Pixar releases and How To Train Your Dragon).

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

Has anyone picked up the new Arcade Fire?

This is embarrassing but I never really listened to their 2nd album, it was just one of those weird things where my cd player in my car stopped reading burned CDs and my current commute is really short to bother with iPod + radio transmitter, and it isnt really something Id play during poker or while working out or whatever, so I just never listened to it.  Anyway on the Gen Con trip I listened to it three times, and obviously it is very good.  Just curious if anyone has their new one and how it compares to their earlier work.

I read Infected by Scott Sigler on Wednesday morning while waiting for my plane to arrive.  Pretty cool book, in some ways the writing comes off as a bit amateurish, but Im not sure that wasnt intentional because of its original medium, so maybe that isnt the right word to use.  The whole thing sort of has a serial or pulp kind of feel.  I liked it.  Same thing here, has anyone read the sequel(s)?  Id hate to read it if its poor, because this was pretty good. 

On the flight back I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  Really enjoyed that one, considerably more than Pride and Predjudice and Zombies.  I read P&P in high school and college and hated it both times, and several special lady friends have forced me to watch various versions.  While the idea was cool, the fact that this was still 80% a book that I despite made it too hard to get through.  This Abe Lincoln book is pretty awesome, though.  For one thing, its take on vampires is a little different than elsewhere, which I liked.  Obviously the whole thing is absurd but its enjoyable.  Itd make a hilarious / awesome movie.

The new Arcade Fire is awesome.  But then, I was a fan before, so I don't know that I'm the best person to ask.  I particularly enjoyed the first two tracks. 

I've also been listening to 'Strength in Numbers' by The Music.  They're not bad, and if you like Muse, you'll probably like them too.

"Ill break my staff,
Ill drown my book."

The Return of Superman

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 10:35:41 pm »

re: The Music, I own their self-titled album and Welcome to the North and used to like them, I didn't realize they were still releasing material.

Team East Coast Wins
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 11:43:24 am »

I dreamt I was playing Zoo vs Madness Survival. And he played 2 Vengevines on turn 2 without using Survival. And I played 2 Tarmogoyf and lost. I woke up devastated that I lost but then realized that he could not have played 2 Vengevines on turn 2 without Survival and I felt much better. /random rant

I think Wizards of the Coast has sent their own team to plant ideas in my mind. Why else would I dream of playing MTG when I have enough of it in real life?

turn 2 Wild Mongrel->discard vengevine->discard vengevine->discard rootwalla

MAYBE YOU'RE STILL ASLEEP!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »

I had a dream that people thought it was witty to say "Happy 90210!" all day today.

OH WAIT NO THAT IS THE HELL THAT IS MY WAKING LIFE.

Team East Coast Wins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: