TheManaDrain.com
January 25, 2020, 07:13:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Lightning Bolt Relevant Again?  (Read 1336 times)
ReAnimator
Basic User

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:08:02 am »

I've been out of Vintage for a while now, but i try to keep up reading top 8 lists and articles and i'm always thinking of new ideas. Recently Shockwave has been trying to stimulate some local vintage interest and it got me thinking, is Lightning Bolt undervalued right now?

Here are relevant things that are Tier 1 that bolt straight up kills in the format:

Jace TMS (assuming they Bstorm first)
Trygon Predator
Lodestone Golem
Dark Confidant
Metal Worker

A little less relevant but still not bad:

Juggernaught
Goblin Welder
A Spirit token to buy a turn against oath
Tezz after a search activation
Everything that isn't a Tarmogoyf in Noble Fish
Gorilla Shaman

I know usually in vintage removal or burn are discounted as not worth it, but if Natures Claim and Spell Pierce are fine maindeck choices Bolt seems pretty decent right now too, as far as limited removal/answers go.
The fact that this can hit Planeswalkers seems fairly relevant over something like swords to plowshares. Obviously people can play around that, but that is only if they know it's there and only if they can afford to do the +2 at that time.

I guess this leads to the question, what sort of deck would want to run Bolt?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Goobafish: I'll cast lim dul's vault
Opponent: Ok
Goobafish: Sorry its foreign do you know what it does?
Opponent: Yes
Goobafish: Well I don't
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

I dont know. I mean, seems good on paper but the decks that may want to run lightning bolt already better off running REB/PBLAST and Pyroclasm. In any other deck it wont be needed. IMHO, Sensei's Divining Top Is of more help against JACE,TMS.

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
ReAnimator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:22:11 pm »

Of the 5 relevant cards in the first list, REB kills 2 of them, and pyroclasm kills 2, that doesn't seem like a good comparison.

Also how does Top stop your opponent from Brainstorming every turn?

Goobafish: I'll cast lim dul's vault
Opponent: Ok
Goobafish: Sorry its foreign do you know what it does?
Opponent: Yes
Goobafish: Well I don't
Killane
Full Members
Basic User

I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

Bolt is good, the issue is weather or not its good enough to insert  {R} ito manabases that are not already running it. Thus far, I think no.

But if you're already running  {R} then yes I think 3-4 Bolts are quite well positioned right now.

DCI Rules Advisor
_____________________________ _____
Are you playing The Game?
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

It helps for the fateseal which i find more of a problem. Im at wrk so i will post more detailed insight later.

Bolt is good, the issue is weather or not its good enough to insert (red) ito manabases that are not already running it. Thus far, I think no.

But if you're already running (red) then yes I think 3-4 Bolts are quite well positioned right now.
This is exactly what I meant to say earlier  Very Happy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:24:51 am by Ten-Ten » Logged

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: