TheManaDrain.com
July 16, 2019, 03:30:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commander (multiplayer product)  (Read 4562 times)
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:35:39 am »

Hey guys !
Here it goes again !

And the new "set", a multiplayer product I guess will be designed for us, brings some surprises.
Name: Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Cost: {5} {B} {G} {W}
Type: Legendary Creature - Centaur Spirit
Pow/Tgh: 3/4
Rules Text: Karador, Ghost Chieftain costs {1} less to cast for each creature card in your graveyard.
During each of your turns, you may cast one creature card from your graveyard.
Flavor Text: "Death tried to uncrown me. But now I return, king of a greater realm."
Illus. Todd Lockwood
Rarity: Mythic Rare

A bit weak but a powerful effect, which you can use the turn Karador enters the battlefield (for me, casting from elsewhere than your hand is an alternative cost). Of course if you don't consider this house rule, it's very weaker.

Name: Nin, the Pain Artist
Cost: {U}{R}
Type: Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Rules Text: {X} {U} {R}, {T} : Nin, the Pain Artist deals X damage to target creature. That creature's controller draws X cards.
Flavor Text: "Your body is a delicate instrument that tells me truths. These devices help me 'tune' that instrument."
Illus. Brad Rigney
Rarity: Rare

Fragile and slow but a powerful and balanced ability : it can turn your-about-to-die critter into a hand-filler, your fatty into a Swans of Bryn Argoll or mill out an opponent having a creature if not dealt with. The tap thing makes sure you only can kill one guy a turn : powerful but not crazy, since it has to survive one turn.
It's a wizard moreover, it's brought back by sun titan... but still a weak and fragile body and a slow ability. I really like him anyway.
A lot of us play Ertaï, is this second to the legendary Exodus wizard ?
Edit : some more legendary guys.

Name: Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
Cost: 4{W}{B}{B}
Type: Legendary Creature - Vampire
Pow/Tgh: 5/5
Rules Text: Flying, lifelink
Sacrifice a creature: put X +1/+1 counters on Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
Remove all +1/+1 counters from Vish Kal: target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each counter removed this way.
Illus. (Michael C. Hayes)

5/5 flying lifelink is not that bad. It's ability is basically a recycling thing. Useful with Control magic like. Works with proliferate. The second ability is not that bad but you can't partially uncharge Vish Kal to get multiple critters out. Nothing to be so excited about.

Name: Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Cost: 1{G}{U}
Type: Legendary Creature - Elf Rogue
Pow/Tgh: 2/2
Rules Text: Whenever a creature deals combat damage to one of your opponents, that creature's controller may draw a card.
Flavor Text: "I am not at liberty to reveal my sources, but I can assure you, the price on your head is high."
Illus. Volkan Baga

Obviously, it makes your creatures with a built-in Curiosity. But the wording makes him very tricky : if you have it, and your opponent A attacks and reaches your opponent B, A draws a card. Very political. Is it worth it in a T4 stack ?

Name: Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
Cost: {B}{G}
Type: Legendary Creature - Zombie Elemental
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Rules Text: Haste
Whenever Skullbriar, the Walking grave deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Counters remain on Skullbriar as it moves to any zone other than a player's hand or library.
Illus. Nils Hamm

Whoah. The kind of thing not so nasty, so may be it will resolve and end killing everyone. You have to sacrifice it ? Keeps it counter. You have to chumpblock with him ? Keeps them to. Exile ? Keep.
But... if bounced or re-shuffled, it won't work anymore. And that happens more than often, we had a couple of nice bounces recently. Moreover, we all know that creatures don't touch that often players, not enough so it can become big enough. Not convinced about this one.

Nin's definetily worth a try and Karador seems not that bad.

What do you think of the Commander spoiler ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:19:49 am by Farandar » Logged

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:00 am »

Honestly, I haven't seen anything too exciting for Type 4 just yet. 

Karador is pretty good, but the way I play the ACC rule in my stack, it counts as your spell for the turn if you used any "Type 4 Mana" to cast it, so the dead creature would still count as your spell for the turn.

Also, remember that Nin is a potential one-shot kill, and a lot of groups dislike that.  If it is ok with your group, then she could be pretty cool, as she's still fairly fragile but the ability is actually interesting.  Ultimately though, she'll likely just play out as another "kill this now or you die" card.

Vish Kal feels like just another big dumb beater to me with an occasionally useful sac ability, but Edric seems like he could have really interesting political implications.  Unfortunately, he's just a puny 2/2.

I really hope some more exciting stuff comes out of these for Type 4 as the above all feel a bit "meh" to me. 
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:51 am »

None of these guys are too great - the graveyard recursion one is the best so far IMO.   

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

The Mimeoplasm           {2} {U} {B} {G}

Legendary Creature - Ooze    

As The Mimeoplasm enters the battlefield, you may exile two creature cards from graveyards. If you do, it enters the battlefield as a copy of one of those cards with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to the power of the other card.
0/0

This guy is pretty much a better in almost all cases version of Body Double and if definitely going in my stack!
conboy31
Basic User

conboy007 none
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:20:46 am »

Anyone else notice that the power 9 is not banned at the official commander website?!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx?x=magic/rules/100cardsingleton-commander

The current banned list for Commander is as follows:

Balance
    Biorhythm
    Braids, Cabal Minion
    Channel
    Coalition Victory
    Fastbond
    Gifts Ungiven
    Karakas
    Kokusho, the Evening Star
    Library of Alexandria
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Limited Resources
    Painter's Servant
    Panoptic Mirror
    Protean Hulk
    Recurring Nightmare
    Riftsweeper
    Staff of Domination
    Sway of the Stars
    Upheaval
    Time Vault
    Tinker
    Tolarian Academy
    Worldgorger Dragon

AVOID MTG Fanatic! They remand orders and re-list the cards for more money.
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=216721
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:48:25 am »

The Mimeoplasm is great indeed. It can be huge.

Here's another little something. Nice but slow.

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
Cost: 4{W}{B}{R}
Type: Legendary Creature - Angel
Pow/Tgh: 4/7
Rules Text: Flying, vigilance
{T}: Choose a creature card at random from target opponent's graveyard. Put that card onto the battlefield under your control.
Flavor Text: "After death you face paradise, damnation, or Tariel."
-Priest's teaching
Illus. Wayne Reynolds
Rarity: Mythic Rare

Not that much...

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:45 am »

Anyone else notice that the power 9 is not banned at the official commander website?!

No need to ban cards that don't exist.  That is a page for Magic Online, where Moxen have not been printed. 

unrestrict: Freedom
conboy31
Basic User

conboy007 none
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:43 am »

That makes perfect sense.  I knew it could not be true but could not find out the (now) obvious reason.  Good eye.

AVOID MTG Fanatic! They remand orders and re-list the cards for more money.
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=216721
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:29:40 pm »

wow, the Mimeoplasm is sweet. best one yet.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

Damia, Sage of Stone    {4} {G} {U} {B}
Creature - Gorgon Wizard
Deathtouch
Skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have fewer than seven cards in hand, draw cards equal to the difference.
4/4

Seems like she could be good if she lives.  I think she'll be good in lower powered stacks.

Avatar of Slaughter   {6} {R} {R}
Creature - Avatar
All creatures have double strike and attack each turn if able.
8/8

Like this guy a lot if your stack has a lot of creatures for the aggression it encourages.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 05:28:49 am »

Sounds strange that Damia isn't Legendary. Not that bad anyway. I don't know if I prefer it over Arcanis, which can draw less cards but at any time you need them. I'dl like to play both, I guess Smile

Avatar of slaughter... mmhphpm... Miss haste to be trully awful. Juste like that, its symetry is just making him under the line.

Name: Hydra Omnivore
Cost: 4GG
Type: Creature - Hydra
Pow/Tgh: 8/8
Rules Text: Whenever Hydra Omnivore deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to each other opponent.
Flavor Text: "We should learn from the hydra. It never plays favorites; it devours everyone equally."
- Thrass, elder druid
Illus. Svetlin Velinov

Er... Sounds like the creature everyone wants to deal with before it deals with you. Its ability is very powerful... if it connects, always the same problem. Don't know if it's worth. Will look in my fatty list to see what can be get replaced by this one.

Name: Stranglehold
Cost: 3{R}
Type: Enchantment
Rules Text: Your opponents can't search libraries.
If an opponent would begin an extra turn, that player skips that turn instead.
Flavor Text: The correct answer to a barbarian's riddle is to choke on your cleverness and die.
Illus. John Stanko

A better mindlock orb, which I use in my chaos deck. This one, only targeting opponents, could even be played in my stack... but I think I will replace the mindlock thing with this one...

Name: Magmatic Force
Cost: 5{R}{R}{R}
Type: Creature - Elemental
Pow/Tgh: 7/7
Rules Text: At the beginning of each upkeep, Magmatic Force deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Flavor Text: "Granted, it's the pinnacle of utter destructiveness. So what would you call two of them?"
-Riku of Two Reflections
Illus. Jung Park

Don't know what to think about it. Decent body but can't protect itself, nice ability since it triggers at every turn, and you will never be out of targets : small things can be killed and big things can be hurt... and players can be slowly gnawed at. What do you think about this one ?

DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:45 am »

Damia definitely is Legendary.  The MTGS spoiler page doesn't have that listed but the card image confirms it (spoiled on the mothership).

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:42:24 pm »

Yeah, Damia is definitely legendary.  I just copy and pasted it from the MTGSalvation spoiler and didn't even notice that it wasn't listed as such.

Here's a guy that will be replacing Reiver Demon in my stack (which is a shame since I love the art):

Dread Cacodemon      {7} {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Demon
When Dread Cacodemon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all creatures you opponents control, then tap all other creatures you control.
8/8

I love this next one too (though I've tended to overestimate sorcery speed removal before)

Syphon Flesh   {4} {B}
Sorcery
Each other player sacrifices a creature.  Then put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each creature sacrificed this way.

Nice little psudeo-Wrath that can give you a little army too.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »

A bunch of new cards just spoiled here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=329854

And a few I think are pretty good in Type 4.

Riku of Two Reflections    {2} {U} {R} {G}
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay  {U} {R}. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay  {G} {U}. If you do, put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield.
2/2

He's like a half fair Mischievous Quanar/half better Minion Reflector.  I definitely like him.

Spell Crumple     {1} {U} {U}
Instant
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard. Put Spell Crumple on the bottom of it's owners library.

Hooray!  Another great counterspell.  With all the reshuffling effects in most stacks, this may even have a chance to show up again!

Soul Snare        {W}
Enchantment
{W}, Sacrifice Soul Snare: Exile target creature that's attacking you or a planeswalker you control.

A nice rattlesnake card.  Better for low powered stacks, but a fun addition nonetheless.

Chaos Warp     {2} {R}
Instant
The owner of target permanent shuffles it into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If it's a permanent card, he or she puts it onto the battlefield.

A decent removal spell that's also a mini-Warp World.  I already play Reweave n my stack, so I'll enjoy this guy too.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:10:30 am »

While probably nothing that will be competitive, I do like how Spell Crumple lets you keep Energy Field in play while countering spells.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:03:52 am »

My stack (and the number of sleeves I bought) doesn't allow additions so I will only replace slots with new cards.

Here are the remplacements I'm going to make for sure.

Mimeoplasm in, Body double out
Magmatic Force in, Hellcarver demon out (this one proved more a pain to play that an advantage)
Syphon flesh in, March of souls out
Spell crumple in, Mindbreak trap out (the acc is tooooo rare, recursion is better)

May be :
Riku of two reflections in, Nucklavee out (you take advantage of the recursion from Nuck right now, Riku can be more powerful.. if it survives. Don't know, but I think it won't make it). I don't have my stack right here, so I don't know anymore if minion reflector is in. If it is, it will leave its place for Riku.

I'd like to squeeze Omnivore Hydra and Nin the pain artist in...

Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:53:12 am »

Riku of Two reflections seems awesome.  He;s like Quanar without the awkward Type 4 errata and a cool creature copy bonus.  He doesn't just bust counter magic, tho, which is certainly less good (but more fair).   Fragile but worth it, IMO.

Spell Crumple - great new counterspell.  Recursive without being annoying.

Magmatic Force - I think if you use this politically you might be able to garner some support to keep it alive.  And it's a 7/7, very cool. 

Damia feels too slow to me.  If it's going to do a lot for you, it'll probably die. Wish it triggered on end step, that would have be hot.

Soul Snare - good but not terribly exciting.

Syphon Flesh - I demand a little bit more from Sorceries.  Look how much better something like the Dread Cacodemon is in this same set. 

Cacademon - a solid wrath effect on a big body.  not bad.

Chaos warp - fun targeted removal.  I bet this reveals an instant most of the time (which makes it useful), but could cause some amusing scenarios.  Phage, lol

Hydra Omnivore and Avatar of Slaughter seem too symmetrical to be any good.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »

Chaos Warp can also be used on yourself on a dying permanent, you might get value out of it.

Or last minute gambit, you need to kill your opponent NOW, so you do this EOT and hope for a big fattie.

It's just fun all around, random effects always are.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »

Last of the spoiler's up at MTGSalvation, and there's a few last cards that I like for Type 4:

Tribute to the Wild    {1} {G}
Instant    
Each opponent sacrifices an artifact or enchantment.

Nice Edict for artifacts and enchantments.  Reminds me of Fracturing Gust minus the lifegain.

Scavenging Ooze    {1} {G}
Creature - Ooze    
{G}: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.
2/2

A really solid grave-hate option.  I'd say a direct upgrade over Withered Wretch if anyone still plays him (and not quite as absurd as Creakwood Ghoul has proven in my stack)
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »

New set to review! That set is pretty likely the best type 4 set that ever came out compared to its size, with tons of lower-powerlevel stack options as well as a few new staples.

Celestial Force
   5www
Creature - Elemental    Rare
At the beginning of each upkeep, you gain 3 life.
"Wishing upon only one star seems like a failure of imagination."
- Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
Illus. Véronique Meignaud   7/7
It will usually gain 15-18 life per round, which is pretty awesome. I'd test it had it been a faster clock or less fragile. As it is, I don't think he quite makes it. But it is a fun card for sure.

Spell Crumple
   1uu
Instant    Uncommon
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard. Put Spell Crumple on the bottom of it's owners library.

In my stack it will almost always play like another hard counter... which is always a welcomed addition Smile

Dread Cacodemon
   7bbb
Creature - Demon    Rare
When Dread Cacodemon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all creatures your opponents control, then tap all other creatures you control.
Those who hear its roar perish. The lucky ones only feel its fetid breath.
Illus. Izzy   8/8

A usually better Reiver demon is a shoe-in in most places. Should've had flying though.

6rr
Creature - Avatar    Rare
All creatures have double strike and attack each turn if able.
"Diplomacy has solved nothing. Only bloodspill can end this now. Call forth the warbringer."
-Basandra, Battle Seraph
Illus. Jason A. Engle   8/8

I think this guy is pretty good. Beats for 16 itself, makes sure there are no blockers around by the time he attacks and encourages people to attack each other (hopefully an 8/8 will be a large enough blocker most of time, and even if not they might not want to kill the guy that makes their Progenitus lethal). Our stack encourages by design to gather an army and not take a political side for as long as possible (or you can kill in one swing), this card is a natural foil to it - now they have to take a side and make political decisions.

Chaos Warp
   2r
Instant    Rare
The owner of target permanent shuffles it into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If it's a permanent card, he or she puts it onto the battlefield.

Versatile removal most of the time that is bound to make good stories at those rare time that it fails miserably (or hits phage)

Magmatic Force
   5rrr
Creature - Elemental    Rare
At the beginning of each upkeep, Magmatic Force deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
"Granted, it's the pinnacle of utter destructiveness. So what would you call two of them?"
-Riku of Two Reflections
Illus. Jung Park   7/7

I like this guy. It can kill a player each round pretty consistently, without the need to attack even. If you reanimate it four turns before yours, he still delivers 9 damage before even losing summoning sickness. Players should help you keep this alive if you kill their enemies, this is a pretty reliable way to kill a player if kept alive I believe.

Hydra Omnivore
   4gg
Creature - Hydra    Rare
Whenever Hydra Omnivore deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to each other opponent.
"We should learn from the hydra. It never plays favorites; it devours everyone equally."
- Thrass, elder druid
Illus. Svetlin Velinov   8/8

I don't think anyone would like this guy as it hurts them too. OTOH, quite good for the aggressive players, if you have them and want to encourage them (I do) except it will not survive long if people don't want it to and while people may benefit from it, they probably won't care enough to protect it.

Scavenging Ooze
   1g
Creature - Ooze    Rare
{G}: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.
In nature, not a single bone or scrap of flesh goes to waste.
Illus. Austin Hsu   2/2

Creakwood Ghoul is great, I don't see why a slightly worse version with a useful body won't rise to staplehood.

Tribute to the Wild
   1g
Instant    Uncommon
Each opponent sacrifices an artifact or enchantment.
"You may enter, but leave those lifeless things of your world behind."
- Modruni, maro-sorcerer
Illus. Hideaki Takamura

As obvious as an auto -include could ever hope to be.

Damia, Sage of Stone
   4gub
Legendary Creature - Gorgon Wizard    Mythic Rare
Deathtouch
Skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have fewer than seven cards in hand, draw cards equal to the difference.
Ask your query and be on your way. Just don't look her in the eye.
Illus. Steve Argyle   4/4

Too slow, too few cards. Compare it to Jin for the modern standard of this effect.

Nin, the Pain Artist
   ur
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard    Rare
{X}{U}{R}, {T}: Nin, the Pain Artist deals X damage to target creature. That creature's controller draws X cards.
"Your body is a delicate instrument that tells me truths. These devices help me 'tune' that instrument."
Illus. Brad Rigney   1/1

Obviously strong, but has summoning sickness and requires a legal target when the ability resolves so it's probably safe. Can pop itself for a Mind Spring if you need a counter desperately. It's pretty likely that it won't survive till that stage, like, ever, though.

Riku of Two Reflections
   2urg
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard    Mythic Rare
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay {U}{R}. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay {G}{U}. If you do, put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield.
   2/2

I'm skeptical. I didn't like the two separate effects, but maybe together they will be good enough.

The Mimeoplasm
   2ubg
Legendary Creature - Ooze    Mythic Rare
As The Mimeoplasm enters the battlefield, you may exile two creature cards from graveyards. If you do, it enters the battlefield as a copy of one of those cards with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to the power of the other card.
Illus. Svetlin Velinov   0/0

Body Double +, no complaints here

All in all that is a formidable loot for only 51 cards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: