TheManaDrain.com
August 04, 2020, 08:58:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't Workshop with Metalworker sideboard Kozilek?  (Read 1752 times)
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »

Hi all,
I was just curious why workshop decks that play Metalworker don't board in Kozilek, Butcher of Truth game 2 or 3 against artifact hate. It seems like Metalworker and other artifact acceleration would make Kozilek fairly easy to cast and it would be a win con that isn't hampered by Kataki, Hurkyl's, Energy Flux, etc.
mort-
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »

One of the Workshop players this sunday did exatly this. I don't know the exact list he played, but saw that he boarded it against painter (and hardcast it later that game to win, lol Very Happy).
Gambit
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »

You don't always have metalworker, workshops can't cast Eldrazi, and with spheres, well, you get it.
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »

It's pretty greedy. Even for a Metalworker you need to have 5 artifacts AND Kozilek in hand. If you could supplement that with Mishra's Workshop mana we'd be talking, but you can't, so we're not. If you want to cast something massive and game ending there are other cards that are more realistic for Workshop decks to cast. For 10 mana you could cast and activate Mindslaver, Sundering Titan, Steel Hellkite, Myr Battlesphere, etc.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »

Outside of what Meddling Mage stated, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth doesn't immediately effect your opponents board state. Sure drawing four cards and annihilating 4 of your opponents permanents is great, but is it worth sacrificing a 10 mana's worth of an investment to pass the turn? One turn in vintage can mean the world and if you're able to stick a 10 mana cost card I think you'd be in a winning position anyway.  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:01:19 pm by Twaun007 » Logged

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
punki
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 05:16:01 am »

In Germany Painter is very popular and a lot of shop players there board kozilek. It seems to work, but it's just because of all the painter decks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: