TheManaDrain.com
January 25, 2020, 07:16:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [COMM] New Dredge Engine for Vintage- Shared Trauma  (Read 1834 times)
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

Check this card out:

Shared Trauma B
Sorcery - Rare
Join forces - Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of mana. Each player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the total amount of mana paid this way.

With LotV out, this thing could be awesome.  Imagine playing a deck full of jewelry, Channel, Rituals, etc.  If this is on the stack, you can sac LED in response and use that mana to fuel it as well.  You might even be able to play a land after casting this (if you have Lotus, Moxen, Petal or something) and get all your Bloodghasts in play in addition to the Narcos.  This card has some real potential IMO.

Peace,

-Troy

zimagic
Basic User

zimagic
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:30 am »

That seems like a very blue ability. Strange that black suddenly gets milling.

Insert Quote here
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:53 am »

I think that the strength of the Dredge archetype has always been that it gets around counters exceptionally well. To rebase the deck around a card that can be countered seems like it would weaken the deck considerably.

Beyond that, it seems like you would need a ton of mana, and therefore a ton of setup to make it work. If you can generate that kind of mana wouldn't you rather use it on something like Yawgmoth's Bargain, Will, Mind's Desire, Goblin Charbelcher, etc.? When I imagine the deck you describe I think of a bad version of two-land belcher. I guess I could be wrong but I don't see what you seem to see in this card.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:07 pm »

this card doesnt even compare with tome scour, 5 cards for 1 mana, and glimpse the unthinkable, 10 cards for 2 mana, whereas shared trauma would cost absurb amounts of mana if dredge wanted an x spell they could just run read the runes which they could pop dredgers off and do it at instant speed.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »

I also really really don't get how this is good. What Dredge deck plays Dark Ritual or Channel?

Furthermore, why are all these Join Forces cards rares, their effects seem very weak to me. Put cards in graveyards, put lands in play, put 1/1s in play, it's hardly gamebreaking for EDH since they are all symmetrical.
Daenyth
Adepts
Basic User

shadowblack379
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

I also really really don't get how this is good. What Dredge deck plays Dark Ritual or Channel?

Furthermore, why are all these Join Forces cards rares, their effects seem very weak to me. Put cards in graveyards, put lands in play, put 1/1s in play, it's hardly gamebreaking for EDH since they are all symmetrical.

Rare for new cards in these precons just means that they are in 1/5 decks.

Team #olddrafts4you -- losing games since 2004
Tha Gunslinga
Full Members
Basic User

De-Errata Mystical Tutor!

ThaGunslingaMOTL
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03:45 am »

Unplayable.  I mean, seriously, are you really going to devote 5-10 mana just to mill a few cards?

Don't tolerate splittin'
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:11 am »

That seems like a very blue ability. Strange that black suddenly gets milling.
I guess since they had all the Dredge stuff already.  It's not "involuntary" milling, which would be out of color for sure.

As for the card itself, I'm not seeing it.  Seems like a really bad Read the Runes.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

My unsubstantiated take: they had this idea as blue, and nothing for black, then decided they wanted to remake Prosperity for blue and so shifted this over to black.

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: