TheManaDrain.com
August 10, 2020, 11:19:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Magic Plays  (Read 15868 times)
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

I don't get it...
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 01:28:37 pm »

Draining my own gush so that I could go to my next mainphase and win with vault+key.

Egan

ECW
iamfishman
Adepts
Basic User

Euclid's Elements is MY bible!

PLIKEY
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 06:47:17 pm »

I was telling this one to Detwiler just the other day.

Extended Single Elimination Tourney out on Long Island for a Lotus run by Arnold Knopf.

I'm in the finals.

Game 3.

Me:Land
Him: Land
Me: Land. Quirion Dryad.
Him: Land
Me: Land. Quirion Dryad. Attack for 1.
Him: Land.  Shadowmage Infilatrator.  In response, I brainstorm(Dryads are 2/2).  Force his Shadowmage. (Dryads are 3/3)
Me: Land #4.  Float 4.  Gush. (Dryads are 4/4).  Gush. (Dryads are 5/5).  Armageddon.  (Dryads are 6/6).  Attack for 12.
Him: Draw and extend the hand.

And I win a Lotus.

RIP Mogg Fanatic...at least you are still better than Fire Bowman!!!

I was once asked on MWS, what the highest I ever finished at a TMD Open was.  I replied, "I've never played in a Waterbury.  I was then called "A TOTAL NOOB!"
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »

I don't get it..

He pitched 7 cards to make Wild Mongrel 9/9, tapped two lands to copy Mongrel's power with Riptide Mangler, and swung for 18 to end the game on turn 4.
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »

I don't get it..

He pitched 7 cards to make Wild Mongrel 9/9, tapped two lands to copy Mongrel's power with Riptide Mangler, and swung for 18 to end the game on turn 4.

A turn 4 win in vintage is pretty impressive...

Egan

ECW
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

A turn 4 win in vintage is pretty impressive...

Lol.  Love me some sarcasm.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Killane
Full Members
Basic User

I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »

Draining my own gush so that I could go to my next mainphase and win with vault+key.

That is a pretty sweet play.

DCI Rules Advisor
_____________________________ _____
Are you playing The Game?
TheShop
Full Members
Basic User

Coming live from tourney wasteland!

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »

Me: Painter, Grind you out.
Him: Use Academy Ruins to put my own Grindstone you didn't know I was packing on top of my library, draw it for the turn, grind you out in response.
Me: Le whoops!

I had a similar experience to this where I was playing painter and activated vs opponent.  He uses his active welder toget back crucible...draws a shuffled colossus for turn, then proceeds to drop ruins and weld a mox per turn for the rest of the game to mindslaver me and use my own grindstone to kill me...
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 10:27:09 am »

Oh, bear with me here, this was a play when my friends and I used to draft my junk rare Cube a long while back. All bad, but all a little playable.

My opponent has a Pygmy Allosaurus http://magiccards.info/ia/en/145.html in play and I have swamps. 2 per turn is dealable. He then smacks a Mythic Proportions on it http://magiccards.info/query?q=mythic+pro&v=card&s=cname, making it a 10/10 unblockable killing machine. I get hit for 10, then I topdeck Circle of Solace http://magiccards.info/on/en/13.html and slam it yelling "Circle of Protection Dinosaurs".

We checked afterwards, Pygmy Allosaurus was the ONLY dinosaur in Magic before it became a Lizard after creature type changes.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 10:57:28 am »

I turn one killed Rich Shay twice in one match at a SCG P9 tournament with Grim Long. 

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

this is me reading your posts

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »

That is godlike.
Nefarias
Full Members
Basic User

NefariasAndy
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

I once won with a City of Brass trigger on the stack by going off with Dragon, then targeting Eternal Witness getting back Echoing Truth and bouncing the Necromancy, then in response to Necromancy's "Eternal Witness dies" trigger tapping the City for Black (it was my only black source and I was at one) and responding to THAT trigger by Necromancy on Dragon and going off with the Witness in play, allowing me to return Ancestral a million times and mill my opponent out (I had a Mox Sapphire).

My favorite general play is responding to a threat with a good Instant like Ancestral or Gifts, hoping that they Force it, and then Misdirecting their Force to their original spell. Only pulled that one off a few times. It can also kinda be done with Mindbreak Trap, where if they've already played a spell, then a threat, you can try to bait a counter and Trap both the threat and the counter.

The most ridiculous story done against me: My Dredge opponent mulls to one in game one, and it isn't a Bazaar. I second turn assemble Painter/Grindstone, and go for it. He was randomly playing one maindeck Darksteel Colossus and dumped his whole deck into the bin, and got the DSC back as his library. What's worse, for some reason he couldn't figure out to kill me in one turn, so he even had to Cabal Therapy himself and draw DSC the next turn too, but his other three Therapies made sure I couldn't take advantage of the extra turn he gave me. At least now when my random FNM opponent complains about having to mull to five I can tell them that I once lost a game where my opponent mulled to one and I put the kill on board turn 2.

Team GG's

Quote from: Young Jeezy
This will be the realest shit you ever quote
Bakalias
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:41 am »

He didn't know what it does, so here again, I explained it and I obtained the same disdain look from him and his aggrement to go. Then I said "I do infinite mana, OK?" and he was O_O "wtf?" He asked me to come back, wanting to counter the Rings because he didn't see the manas coming, which I of course declined, having a Sensei's top and a Staff on hand to win the game.

Why exactly didn't he simply counter Staff?
Because a top+Rings+infinite mana allows you to draw your entire deck as well.
mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 10:56:11 am »

Playing Commander:

Swing with a Darksteel and a Sharrum. He blocks the flyer with Keiga. Master Transmuter in a Magistrater (sp?) Sphinx and say good game.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
KingSquee
Basic User

RELEASE THE GLACKIN!!!

KingSquee
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 11:51:46 am »

My most recent one, from a game of Mental Magic where we shared a deck:

Opponent: Painter's Servant, Grindstone, mill the deck, go.
Me: Upkeep, Krosan Reclamation, shuffle random card back in deck, draw it, go.

And another one:

Me: EOT Mana Short you. My turn, cast Lord of Extinction, Lightning Greaves, equip.

At which point I realize the Lord does not have trample, my opponent has chump-blockers for days, and I have no other creatures to ship the Greaves to for a targeted solution.

Once again the  {1} {G} mana cost saves me! Primal Rage FTW!

Champion: NEV 2, NYSE 7, Games and Stuff May 2014
Finalist: NEV 7, TDG February 2014
Top 4: 2011 Vintage Champs, NEV Championship, a few other events.
Top 8: 2010 Vintage Champs, MVPLS Invitational, a bunch of other events.
Top 9: 2012 Legacy Champs, countless other events... Sad
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:22 pm »

Me: 'Black Lotus, sacrifice, Trinisphere?'
Him: 'Resolves'
Me: 'Workshop, tap, Crucible of Worlds. Show you Strip Mine. Would you like to move to the next game?'
Him: 'Nope'
Me: 'Pass'
Him: 'Island, go'
Me: ' Strip your Island, go'
Him: 'Fetchland, go'
Me: 'Strip your fetch, (he finds a basic), go'
Him: 'Go'
Me: 'Replay Strip, go'
Him: (Pauses.) OOOOOOOH. I can't play any spells...

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Bill Copes
Adepts
Basic User

I don't have an avatar. I am an avatar.

zebraturbosled
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 10:39:49 am »

I can't remember the specific match, but Resolving Honor the Fallen against a newish dredge opponent that went all-in too fast.  This happened some time shortly after Dredge first appeared, when people were still running Ashen Ghoul and Nether Spirit . . . the good ole days.

I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

Terrorists searching in vain for these powerful weapons have the saying "Bill Copes spitteth, and he taketh away."

Team TMD
KingSquee
Basic User

RELEASE THE GLACKIN!!!

KingSquee
View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 03:33:15 pm »

From a Zendikar pre-release:

It's Round 1, game 3. My opponent puts Celestial Mantle on a creature I can't block and attacks me, doubling his life total from 13 to 26.

Meanwhile I have a Bloodchief Ascension with three counters on it. I'm in deep trouble unless I draw my one out... Archive Trap!

I proceed to lose the next three matches, so I guess my deck was pretty terrible after all. But that one win made it all worth it.

Champion: NEV 2, NYSE 7, Games and Stuff May 2014
Finalist: NEV 7, TDG February 2014
Top 4: 2011 Vintage Champs, NEV Championship, a few other events.
Top 8: 2010 Vintage Champs, MVPLS Invitational, a bunch of other events.
Top 9: 2012 Legacy Champs, countless other events... Sad
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 05:14:01 pm »

Years ago, shortly after Invasion, I was watching a game between 5 color control (Keeper, or w/e) and a R/B dragon deck built to just make tons of mana, pump out dragons and do other random big red/black spell things.

So the 5cc deck has all his jewlery out, a handful of cards, w/e his critter was (Morphling?) and was just dominating.  The B/R player taps a bunch of artifacts, and lands, and casts Obliterate.  The control player drains the obliterate, confusing the crap out of his opponent.  They both swipe the board, then during the next mainphase of the 5cc player, he drops an island, casts stroke of genious for 6 off the drained obliterate, drops lotus, and cast y will.  gg.  Draining an uncounterable spell just for the mana.  Tech

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »

My favorite Type 4 plays: A friend who didn't quite understand the politics of mulitiplayer attacked everyone with one Living Hive token each one game instead of swinging everything at one player. We explained to him that's not how you play Type 4, but he insisted on playing his way. So the next game during the first player's upkeep, someone Urza's Rage'd him and I hit him with a Searing Wind.
This one reminded me of a multiplayer game I was in way way back...

One guy is running something along the lines of sui-black (yeah, I know). I'm running a random dragon themed reanimator pile. Suiblack dude lands and quick Negator, and land an early Kilnmouth Dragon, amplified once or twice. Nobody else really has anything past a 2 drop. Suiblack guy groans, and I tell him it's cool, don't start nothin' won't be nothin'.

I ship the turn and when it gets to him, he untaps, draws, makes his drop for the turn and eyeballs the dragon. I warn him not to do it and repeat myself. He stares a bit longer, then shakes his head and says something about how he can't just leave it there, then Edicts me. I Fling the dragon at Negator, wipe his board, the entire table busts up, and everyone reminds him don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

ninjabot7000@hotmail.com CountRockula999
View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »

My favorite Type 4 plays: A friend who didn't quite understand the politics of mulitiplayer attacked everyone with one Living Hive token each one game instead of swinging everything at one player. We explained to him that's not how you play Type 4, but he insisted on playing his way. So the next game during the first player's upkeep, someone Urza's Rage'd him and I hit him with a Searing Wind.
This one reminded me of a multiplayer game I was in way way back...

One guy is running something along the lines of sui-black (yeah, I know). I'm running a random dragon themed reanimator pile. Suiblack dude lands and quick Negator, and land an early Kilnmouth Dragon, amplified once or twice. Nobody else really has anything past a 2 drop. Suiblack guy groans, and I tell him it's cool, don't start nothin' won't be nothin'.

I ship the turn and when it gets to him, he untaps, draws, makes his drop for the turn and eyeballs the dragon. I warn him not to do it and repeat myself. He stares a bit longer, then shakes his head and says something about how he can't just leave it there, then Edicts me. I Fling the dragon at Negator, wipe his board, the entire table busts up, and everyone reminds him don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

Love it!

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

Because a top+Rings+infinite mana allows you to draw your entire deck as well.

Ahh, right!  Very Happy
Jacob Orlove
Official Time Traveller of TMD
Administrator
Basic User

When am I?

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 08:58:32 pm »

All time favorite magic play? No contest:
Oh, there was a thread about that a while back. It actually happened apparently, and it's actually a 'legal' play (in terms of Unhinged, that is). It was at an Unhinged prerelease event.

This one guy played a Booster Tutor:

Open a sealed Magic booster pack, reveal the cards, and put one of those cards into your hand. (Remove that card from your deck before beginning a new game.)

He opened (possibly bought, I'm not sure) a Torment booster which cotained in its rare slot a Radiate:

Choose target instant or sorcery spell that targets only a single permanent or player. For each other permanent or player that spell could target, put a copy of the spell onto the stack. Each copy targets a different one of those permanents and players.

He put it in his hand, and proceeded to play the Ass Whuppin' he had drafted:

Destroy target silver-bordered permanent in any game you can see from your seat.

He then succesfully resolved his Radiate, choosing the Ass Whuppin'. The upshot of all this was that he pretty much cleared the board of every single player in the store.
Once again, for emphasis:
The upshot of all this was that he pretty much cleared the board of every single player in the store.

Team Meandeck: O Lord,
Guard my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking guile.
To those who slander me, let me give no heed.
May my soul be humble and forgiving to all.
MagicMan
Basic User

When its time to go, its time to go!!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:21 pm »

Last years TMD Open in Waterbury. Its round 4 or 5 cant remember which playing against dredge with a remora vault key deck I brought. Little do you know I packed no SB hate for Dredge hoping to avoid it  or maybe only lose once to it on the way.  

Game 1
Him: Bazaar
Me: Land Crypt Tinker for Inkwell
Him Bazaar tricks
Me: Copy Artifact making myself a 2nd Inkwell, swing with the first.
Him: More Bazaar Tricks
Me: Swing with 2 Inkwells for the Win

Game 2: I dont SB as I have non and Lose to a horde of Zombies

Game 3: I still have no SB
Me: Land, Mox, Crypt Tinker for Inkwell : )
Him: Bazaar and Bazaar Tricks
Me: Copy Artifact make myself a 2nd Inkwell again : ) and Swing
Him: Bazaar Tricks and : (
Me Swing for the win vs dredge with 0 SB Slots for the Matchup

Epic!

Team: Faded Memory

One Day At A Time!!!

Vintage!!!

Live in my area give me a yell!!!! That Would Be New Hampshire!!!!
Diakonov
Full Members
Basic User

Hey Now

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:47 am »

Once in a draft I drew the game with three Faceless Butchers.

VINTAGE CONSOLES
VINTAGE MAGIC
VINTAGE JACKETS

Team Hadley

nightmare1016
Basic User

Whatever floats my boat, sinks others.

kristopher_young
View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 03:03:55 am »

Me playing 2-Land Belcher against FCG, around 3 years ago:

Game 3 - Opponent goes first, plays a Lackey then passes the turn. I go: Land Grant, looking for and playing Bayou, Dark Rit, LED, Demonic Tutor, sacrificing LED in response, then tutor for YWill, replaying everything then tutoring Tendrils. GG.

Multiplayer Commander, around last year (I think):

I Mindslaver my opponent, making him attack another player, then making him commit suicide by having him play Necropotence and paying all his life.

Shop players, we are a community unto ourselves. We are not prevalent, but we are present. Work with each other, test, discuss theory, listen, learn. And win. - Prospero

Team Budget (Philippines)
Cockatrice Handle: Blacksky11
saspook
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2011, 12:13:54 am »

Vintage:  both of us had Merchant Scrolled to find Ancestral.  But I passed the turn with a few mana up not casting mine.

He untaps with two lands, a sapphire and 4 cards in hand after he draws.  He cast his Ancestral Recall, I flash back Ancient Grudge on his Sapphire, he casts Hurkels Recall to bounce his Sapphire, I cast Ancestral in response, he Forces.  I Mindbreak Trap targeting his force and both of his recalls.

He losses 4 cards and a mox, I go up 1 card in hand.
ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2011, 11:13:57 am »

So many.  Here's one that I've pulled off multiple times.

He Ancestrals targeting himself
I respond with Ancestral targeting me
He casts Misdirection targeting my Ancestral
I cast Misdirection targeting his Misdirection

For those who are not familiar, this is much worse than it looks.  Misdirection isn't just a counterspell here.  I change the target of his Misdirection to his Ancestral Recall.  When his Misdirection resolves, he then has to change the target of his Ancestral Recall.  I'm the only other legal target, so I draw 6 cards, and he literally quits Magic. 

This thread is exactly what this forum should focus on.  This is a positive, informative expression of the format we all love.  We need much more of this, and much less negativity. 

unrestrict: Freedom
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »

At a Waterbury I once had an opponent concede games 2 and 3 to me after he had removed all of my win conditions with Jester's Cap in both games. I resolved a big Yawgmoth's Will and he conceded both times assuming I had the win in hand.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »

At a Waterbury I once had an opponent concede games 2 and 3 to me after he had removed all of my win conditions with Jester's Cap in both games. I resolved a big Yawgmoth's Will and he conceded both times assuming I had the win in hand.

That reminds me, I need someone to make me a set of 75 card sleeves that read "Fuck You Kill Me"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: