TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 04:28:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #5  (Read 6576 times)
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

I would totally keep that hand. So what if he duresses or seizes. That just means you keep the other stuff. The graveyard is not a bad place for ancestral if you are running snapcaster.
Ruboonia
Basic User

Duck Online Tournament #1 Champion

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »

I think it's more underwhelming than you guys think. He was also running Surgical Extractions and Grafdigger's Cage. Had I kept, he would have Duressed the Ancestral. I believe he had a turn 2 Vampire.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

I actually probably would've seized his snapcaster, since I had misstep for his recall.
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:56 am »

I think it's more underwhelming than you guys think. He was also running Surgical Extractions and Grafdigger's Cage. Had I kept, he would have Duressed the Ancestral. I believe he had a turn 2 Vampire.

So...he runs cards.  The opponent on the play is always going to have advantages.  I guess having Duress effects is especially threatening, but if that's the case, then it doesn't matter what you mull into.  What 6 cards with any kind of probability are better?

(Also, not to harp on you here, I just think it's an interesting scenario and I want to understand it...I think that's one of the beauties of these tournaments and Cockatrice in general is that it brings more real game play situations into discussion on these boards)

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:21 am »

I guess having Duress effects is especially threatening, but if that's the case, then it doesn't matter what you mull into.  What 6 cards with any kind of probability are better?

That was the exact same line of reasoning that I was thinking to myself. Also, if he takes AR, then you can potentially Snap it back. If he takes Snapcaster, then you AR or even sit on it until you become desperate or draw protection. It's not a great 7, but I would definitely have kept it.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:43 am »

I also would've kept it. . . Dark Times punishes mulligans pretty brutally.
Zieby
Full Members
Basic User

One who goes unpunished, never learns.

ajjbos@hotmail.com ajjbos
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »

I have opened the game for me and Credmond, no password for spectators

Quote from:  Mr. Chapin
"Rogue is spelled with the "g" before the "u." Rouge is a cosmetic used to color the cheeks and emphasize the cheekbones.
Rogue is a deck that isn't mainstream/widely played."

Member of Team R&D: Go beyond Synergy and enter Poetry

Founder of "The Dutch Vintage Tournament Series"
Zieby
Full Members
Basic User

One who goes unpunished, never learns.

ajjbos@hotmail.com ajjbos
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »

Lost from Credmond 0-2. in 2 very interesting games.

Quote from:  Mr. Chapin
"Rogue is spelled with the "g" before the "u." Rouge is a cosmetic used to color the cheeks and emphasize the cheekbones.
Rogue is a deck that isn't mainstream/widely played."

Member of Team R&D: Go beyond Synergy and enter Poetry

Founder of "The Dutch Vintage Tournament Series"
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

I just went 2-0 in an epic battle vs. Zieby. It took us a while to schedule the match since he is in Europe and I am in California.

Game 1 we play draw and go for a while and I build a hand of a couple of counters to protect a Tinker BSC I put into action. He responds the following turn by building up a lot of storm with artifact mana, scrolling for flusterstorm, and I lose a counter fight over a hurkyl's recall that puts BSC back in my hand and then he brainfreezes me for 30, Zieby keeping the flusterstorm in hand for later use. However, at this point he is out of gas I guess and the following turn when I am able to play a trinket mage grabbing jet I am able to slow roll him and the mana crypt he has in play to bring him down to close to lethal range over a few turns. When lethal from crypt is a possibility the following turn, Zieby goes for timetwister which undoes his first brainfreeze but then he drops some stuff and brainfreezes again for 27. However I am able to thirst for knowledge at the end of turn and load up on cards with the help of a library of alexandria that comes into play. His do or die turn invloves going for Yawg Will protected by flusterstorm and I have enough counters (including a trumping Mindbreak Trap )to stop what would have been a lethal line of attack.

I board in 2 swords to plowshares and take out the plains and one salvager. Given his sideboard, I need to be able to handle any xantid he puts in play or be rendered helpless to a Timetwister or Yawg Will line of play. Also, tinker BSC or just plain trinket or salvager beats is better line of attack than salvager combo which requires special care for me to pull off given his 2 brain freezes which can turn my own combo against me.

Game 2 I have the awesome fortune of Library in my opening grip. This is critical to my well being since he is able to drop xantid swarm one turn (met with mistep) and another one on the following turn, and I am able to mystical into swords and library keeps my card count high. Zieby plays a vampiric tutor eot one turn followed by imperial seal the next turn and then an ancestral so I know he is sculpting a hand and brewing something soon. In the following turns I am able to play 2 trinket mages for an aggro clock and put a top and a tormod's crypt on the table. I am guessing he is brewing a Yawg line of attack. A fact or fiction brings my library back on line and I am able to drop a Jace and jacestorm into a hand of 7 counters including Trap to his 3 in hand. He scoops at the Jace but it was really the library that did him in from the start.

Good games Zieby. With those brain freezes in your deck I always felt that I was only a misplay away from death. Interestingly both my wins involved trinket mage beat down and no salvager action. Go go 2/2 bears!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:23:57 am by credmond » Logged
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »

Boogyb,

Sent you a PM. Hopefully Saturday we can schedule the Duck # 5 Final Match between Dark Times and Bomberman.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »

Congrats to col_impact! He just beat me 2-1.

The two losses were quite frustrating Sad. Game 2 I mulliganed a great 7 by accident (hit cmd +m when I meant to pass the turn to him with cmd + enter) into a decent 5, and then came close to winning -- he was at 3 life at the end and would've lost had he missed one more crypt roll. Game 3 I just punted at the end: had hexmage and dark depths out, and cast liliana, then he EOT echoing truth'd my hexmage and I stupidly made ML when I should've just let it resolve, and he obviously cast Jace next turn and Jace'd ML. Then I mainphase Vampiric Tutored even though he had a fucking Jace out for bob, which he just bottomed. I might've had some outside chance of winning at this point but just scooped after drawing a swamp. Argh!

Here's my report:

g1: On the draw, s-swamp bob misstep seize hex liliana, very good. He mulls to 6.

He leads lotus trinket mage for sdt, then jet -> sdt, and forces my misstep. Wow! He has 1 card in hand, I wonder if I should seize but decide against it, will save for later to win the game with. Just go swamp pass. I drew strip mine so if he finds a land with top I will snag it. He doesn't. I drop bob next turn and he forces it, pitching force. Weird draw. I now have liliana seize hex strip waste in hand, he has jet sdt trinket mage out. He drops mana crypt, very risky. I lay waste and hexmage. Unless he has tinker in the next two turns I will probably win this game. He lays polluted delta, thinks, taps SDT, cracks delta, kills my hex with explosives (the only card in his deck that can do that Sad ) and attacks. Oh well, I draw another hex and kill his dude and land with liliana and strip mine. Hope I get some crypt rolls. I top dark depths, lay hex and dd, he has no instant-speed answers so I win.

g2: seal waste rit rod extract lilian urborg. Interesting.

Dammit I mulligan by accident. Down to hexmage, s-swamp rod urborg. I top a ritual and lay hexmage and rod on turn 2. He has salvagers out and and crypt and pearl, and is not missing any of his rolls. But he's stuck on two mana, sweet. He swordses my hexmage and I just keep drawing mana -- something like 6 lands in a row while he keeps winning crypt rolls. I finally draw bob and he FoF's in response, shows lotus spellbomb tundra force jace, I give him a 4/1 jace split, he takes the force but doesn't use it, though now he's on 6 life from crypt. Then he loses another 3 from crypt, awesome. But then he steel sab's my null rod and that's all she wrote. Really awful drawing, very frustrating that he won so many crypt rolls but that's the game

g3: P liliana hex s-s-swamp seize rod. Kind of gross but can get me there. He mulligans to 6, even better. I turn 1 thoughtseize, he missteps of course. He turn 1 pearl strand pass, I then turn 2 swamp rod, draw seal. He lays a plains, I draw a misstep for his inevitable swords, and lay hexmage and seal for dd with misstep back. He doesn't swords at eot so maybe he doesn't have it!! Then I lay dd, attack, and cast liliana which he brainstorms in response to. I just want to bait a counter to back my misstep for his swords, really. He thinks for a really long time over his brainstorm, then lets liliana resolve. I don't use it and pass. He echoing truths my hexmage at eot and I make ML in response, which was probably a mistake since he now fucking casts jace obviously. What the hell did I do that for? Then I vamp for bob and he bottoms it obviously (wow! I'm an idiot) and I just scoop.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:19:33 pm by boggyb » Logged
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »

I was able to get there vs boggyB 2-1.

Game 1, I am on the play and I keep an awkward hand of lotus jet trinket FOW and fluster. Awkward but probably better than a 5 hand. I use the trinket mage to grab top to try to fix things down the line. When I play top he has a mistep so I force it pitching fluster. My hand is spent but I got a bear a mox and a top in play. That's one way to dodge duresses and thoughtsiezes! Top doesnt bring me mana though, just pitch counters to handle a turn 2 confidant. My mana troubles (which are exacerbated by a strip he plays on the island I do manage to secure eventually) mean I am not in a position to handle the threats of hexmage and liliana. I manage to blow one hexmage with explosives but a second hexmage followed by dark depths takes it home for him. I don't manage to draw my only out to Marit Large off the deck.

Game 2, boggyB makes a keyboard mistake and accidentally mulligans away a solid opener of 7 to a weak 6 which he mulligans to an okay 5. This mishap makes my mulligan to 5 suddenly okay. It would be awesome if Cockatrice had an undo mulligan feature since it sucks to play forward on a mishap like that. I dump a salvagers into play while using a crypt to do so. If the game grinds on the crypt can be a bad thing.  But I am able to dump a dude that combos with other stuff in my deck into play. BoggyB's first turn is just an Urborg. His second turn is ritual - hexmage - null rod. Ladies and gentleman we have a beats race. For a few turns we are exchanging 2 damage hits and I am fairly lucky on my crypt rolls so I keep in the game. Eventually I swords his hexmage and am holding a steel sabotage and a couple of forces in hand to bounce the null rod when I can combo out. My life is getting low on flips (6) and when he plays dark confidant at life 10, I fact or fiction in response. Fact draws a juicy 5 of force of will, lotus, tundra, spellbomb, and jace. He separates into jace in one pile and the other four in another pile, not knowing I am holding sabotage in hand to bounce the rod on the table, and fact just gave me the salvager combo! Combo ensues the next turn.

Game 3 is very tight game. At one point boggyB has a hexmage, dark depths, null rod, and lilliana in play and I have 3 land and a dead mox in play when he passes the turn. I have a hand of trinket mage, jace, land, and echoing truth. When I truth the hexmage he converts to Marit Large token, so on my turn I am able to play Jace and kill the token. He forces the two of us to discard with Liliana so I discard the sword I drew and keep the trinket in hand. He makes the mistake of vampiric tutoring on his turn so I am able to fateseal away the dark confidant he put on top and play trinket mage fetching pithing needle on liliana. He scoops to a Jace and trinket mage in play on my side to his zero cards in hand, four swamps, null rod, and dead liliana on board since its easy for me to fateseal and ultimate the rest of the way from there.

Some very exciting sequences of plays there! Just sucks that boggyB lost his game 2 hand to a keyboard error. UW Bomberman is a solid deck to play. The two color mana base with lots of basics is stable enough to squeeze in there vs MUD. Its soft to null rod based aggro strategies and uber-quick combo, but otherwise can handle the rest of the field well and can leverage the power of cage. The meta will have to settle before the impact of cage is truly understood since everyone seems to be playing decks that are either using cage themselves or for which cage is largely irrelevant. Cage has been strong in testing vs certain matchups but was not relevant in this tourney at all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:00:57 pm by credmond » Logged
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 07:40:17 pm »

Congratulations Cory!

As far as mulligans, you can change the key bindings.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: