TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 02:07:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #9  (Read 4712 times)
oshkoshhaitsyosh
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »

U will not beat a good dredge player with crypt effects, and random junk. I test vs the world champ and he knows dredge the best. Best way to beat dredge is Leylines + other hate...crypts only delay the inevitable

Team Josh Potucek
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »

U will not beat a good dredge player with crypt effects, and random junk. I test vs the world champ and he knows dredge the best. Best way to beat dredge is Leylines + other hate...crypts only delay the inevitable

That is, until everyone is back to playing Leylines again. It's all ebb and flow.

If you play against dredge players who gun for cages then by all means circumvent that and use 4 Leylines. Know your enemy. Landstill can adapt but it tends to reveal a crack somewhere and the art is in hiding your crack well. 4 Leylines in your side means generally a weak Oath match-up. If Oath is absent in your meta then that's not a biggie, but it can be if Oath is a biggie. Know your enemy.
oshkoshhaitsyosh
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »

That is, until everyone is back to playing Leylines again. It's all ebb and flow.

If you play against dredge players who gun for cages then by all means circumvent that and use 4 Leylines. Know your enemy. Landstill can adapt but it tends to reveal a crack somewhere and the art is in hiding your crack well. 4 Leylines in your side means generally a weak Oath match-up. If Oath is absent in your meta then that's not a biggie, but it can be if Oath is a biggie. Know your enemy.

Well stated Sir  Wink

Team Josh Potucek
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:12 pm »

Bracket updated:
GI vs Peter
Guli vs Shock Wave

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

As I anticipated, I lost the match (1-2). I won 1 game with a duress and ritual necro. Other games he had butload of counters, brought in the grids but didn't see them in game 3. Nicely played by him. gg

Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:17 pm »

I win 2-1 vs. Guli.

G1: I Misstep a few early spells but he sets up a Desire for 3. I know he is going for Desire and I contemplate countering his Ritual, but I allow him to spend his resources casting the Desire, and then he flips a few irrelevant spells. I stop the only real business and then play Standstill on my turn and ride it out.

G2: I know he is playing Grids so I board in Chewers for Conclaves, but it doesn't matter. My opening hand is quite nice: Tarn, Ancestral, Lotus, Drain, Peirce, Chewer, Shaman. I figure that if he plays Duress, he may misplay and take Ancestral, but if he takes Lotus, I can still AR into answers. It turns out that he plays Duress and correctly takes the Lotus. On his following turn, he plays Crypt to get around Spell Pierce, and then plays Necropotence which resolves. That's the game right there.

G3: I have a solid hand: Strand, Wasteland, FoW, Drain, Misstep, Standstill, Pierce. I hit his Ponder, then play Standstill, he cracks it and I draw a bunch of counters, and he is not able to recover.

GGs Guli!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 01:56:34 am »

GI/Peter, any updates?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

I played GI, won 2:0.

Game one, he leads with volcanic, welder.
I had first turn fastbond and tarmogoyf.
He has demonic, i have vendilion. take his vamp and leave his sensei's top. He plays it, sinks some mana in it (yay) and a second welder. Then comes mox ruby and lava dart and on vendilion (which i knew. more tempo loss for him. my goyf is stronger now).

somewhere i had remora, then a lot of mana and jace and double jace and misstep for his flashed back lava dart after he attacked with two welders into jace, then tinker and another goyf and so on. i bounced one welder, growing the goyfs , then played the second one. he could weld my bot but i still had two 7/8 goofs while he was on 8 live.

He was basically investing a lot of resources trying to handle my stuff while i attacked and drew cards from remora and jace.

Game two, i board out tinker / colossus for darkblast and pithing needle. i have blast in the opener, as well as Force, Spell Snare, Jace, Black Lotus, Fetch and something irrelevant. Jace came down t1, i quickly drew pithing needle for his sensei's top, remora and stuff. Ancestral. I brainstormed until i started to mill away demonic tutors, then i fatesealed him ftw. at one point, he hardcasts inkwell leviathan after an attempt of a jace. Then i have double time walk thanks to will. GG.
Had he casted the snap caster mage i gave him before while fate sealing (as i still had the spell snare), he could maybe have done something as he had double drain. But i still had remora I think. and, of course, time walk and will.

Anyways: His deck couldn't keep up with broken turn ones, such as Black Lotus and Fastbond, jace is awesome, he never saw a force, remora buys you so much time (even though he had 10000000 mana in the second game). It happens.

Shockwave, it's up to the last one now?
Looking forward,
P.Flugzeug
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:25:11 pm by PETER FLUGZEUG » Logged

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 09:41:36 am »

Yeah, gg's Peter.

You had pretty strong openings and Jeff's list, while capable, didn't produce either a measured response or the stopping power I needed.  It's possible I should have mulliganed more aggressively, but I was really worried about getting pigeon holed around Remora.  That card is really powerful and doubly so with early sauce.

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

I'm waiting for Shockwave now for the next hour(s). The password is tmd123 .

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

... got there in 3 tense games vs. Peter (Remora Gush). Really tight games. I am pressed for time and don't have the details. Perhaps Peter can comment.

G1: He mulls to 6 and I have a FoW and a land heavy hand. He leads with Remora, and I debate wasting a FoW on it, but I decide that doesn't make much sense since I have plenty of land. I play around Remora for a few turns, but unfortunately he has lands and business. He protects a Gush with Remora and plays a Goyf. I manage to battle back into the mach by resolving a Null Rod and cutting off his mana, but he punches through another Goyf that I cannot deal with.

G2: Forget what happened here. I remember winning a counter war and then resolving a Standstill, which pulled me too far ahead.

G3: I am dead in the water because he has a Goyf on board, and I have a lonely Crucible. I draw a Conclave on my turn with Standstill in hand. My only hope is to play the Standstill, then the Conclave, and hope he misplays. Fortunately for me, Peter forgets about the CIPT on the conclave, and casts a Needle to try to finish me. Standstill draws me Jace, Drain, FoW, and I allow needle to resolve. Needle names Conclave and Goyf hits me to 2. I resolve Jace, bounce the Goyf, and eventually take control.

GGs Peter!

- Theodore Roosevelt
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: