TheManaDrain.com
December 12, 2019, 03:14:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Podcast: So Many Insane Plays # 13 -- The Spring Vintage Metagame  (Read 8560 times)
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »

http://www.mtgcast.com/?p=23970

Blurb:

Steve and Kevin review the post-Dark Ascension metagame and discuss the critical mass of card effects in Vintage.

Contact us at @ManyInsanePlays on Twitter or e-mail us at SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com

Your Host(s): Kevin Cron , Steve Menendian
Show’s Email: SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com
Show’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ManyInsanePlays

As always, let us know what you think!

chrispikula
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »

I was pretty unhappy on Saturday when I had to drive to the Vintage tourney without a new podcast to listen to. 
Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

this is me reading your posts

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »

I'm gonna head to the gym in a little bit, so I'm excited to listen to it then. I hope you guys will continue doing this podcast over Skype or something after you move to California.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »

I was pretty unhappy on Saturday when I had to drive to the Vintage tourney without a new podcast to listen to. 

Sorry, Chris, but perhaps it was a good luck charm!

I hope you guys will continue doing this podcast over Skype or something after you move to California.

We will!

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

To answer your question of the week, I think they should have done Time Vault.  What's sad is is the art they are giving away this year would have worked for it!

Ufactor
Basic User

Current Free Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:41 pm »

Has anyone tested Plaguebearer as a possible answer to 'goyf?

Religion is like a penis.  It's fine to have one.  It's fine to be proud of it.  But, please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around ...and please don't shove it down my children's throats.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:45 pm »

Regarding cards like STP, Sower, etc that rise in value in a Tarm heavy metagame, I think it's worth mentioning Ritual/Tendrils. Like, if your opponent is developing his board with a turn 2 Goyf or Stoneforge or something while you are sculpting a hand with Night's Whisper and stuff, you can just kill them three turns later by the time Goyf and Stoneforge become threatening to you.

For the theoretical "what printing would put the nail in Dredge?" question, I'd like to see more Bazaar friendly cards printed. I think the way you would see Dredge subside is if you had other more robust/resilient/slower/interesting options for graveyard or Bazaar based decks.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »

Keep the feedback coming.   I'm glad folks are enjoying our show.   

voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »

The key card in the board of the Dredge deck my team and I made is Ingot Chewer.  Allen Fulmer made top 4 with it Saturday, the deck is quite good, though it needs updates now that Shops seem to be king of the hill . Surprised you didn't mention it Chewer.

I think you overestimate Stoneforge a bit. Expect more Noble Fish if Goyf and Shops are popular.  Exalted wins Goyf wars and Noble Fish is very good against Shops. You also get Plow or Path for opposing Goyf decks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:23:46 am by voltron00x » Logged

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.”

Team East Coast Wins
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:55 am »

Great show  Very Happy

as for "what printing would put the nail in Dredge?" question, It would have to be:

{W/G} {W/G}

creature- human Cleric

If ~ is in your opening hand you may reveal it. If you do, put it unto the battlefield.

Flash

Whenever ~ enters the battlefield name a card.
The named card's activated abilities cannot be played as long as ~ is on the battlefield.

0/7

Very Happy

On the vintage trophy art, topic.
I thinkn they should have done Gush, Tinker, or Mishra's Workshop for the painting.
I sure do hope next year's vintage champs trophy is any vintage playabe (other than P9) done by Mark Tedin or Terese Nielsen  Very Happy
I would even settle for an alternate Flloded strand art or Guru Island  painting, geez.

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Womba
Full Members
Basic User

2011 Vintage World Champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:37 am »

With the "what printing would put the nail in Dredge?" I think Kevin mentioned it in the podcast that the format in a way is "pure," metagame driven. Vintage is at a point where the format is so big and wide open I don’t think any printing or even printings would actually put the nail in the coffin for Dredge because it would be able to adapt, just like any other deck in the format. That paired with the fact that people are ALWAYS going to take the Dredge challenge, not playing any SB hate hoping to dodge it.

Oderint Dum Metuant

The Best Dredge player in the world?!?! JAKE GANS!!!!

Team East Coast Wins
Shax
Basic User

0TonyMontana0 =twittername add me!

Braveheart+Shax
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

Great podcast as usual! They give me a good overview of what is happening on Vintage, as usual. Still what happens going forward in Vintage and more specifically the Banned-Restricted list coming up will be a deciding factor.

Jesus Christ the King of Kings!

Vintage Changes: Unrestricted Ponder

Straight OG Ballin' shuffle em up tool cause you lookin' like mashed potatoes from my Tatergoyf. Hater whats a smurf? You lucksack? I OG. You make plays? I own deez. You win Tourneys? I buy locks. You double down? I triple up. Trojan Man? Latex. ClubGangster? I own it.Sexy mop? Wii U. Shax 4 President?
-Hypnotoa
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »

Make sure to spread the word on the podcast.   Share with your friends on fb and twitter! 

MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »

I don't think more pure yard hate will nail dredge, so I think Ten-Ten is on the right track.  I think it'd have to be something generally useful, like Grafdigger's cage, that truly and mightily just destroys Dredge all by itself.  Something like this:

Dredge Haterator
1G
2/1
Hexproof
If an opponent puts more than three cards into his or her graveyard during a single turn, you may put Dredge Haterator from your hand directly onto the battlefield.
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield from a graveyard or library, return it to owner's hand.

It's like a grafdigger's cage that can't be removed by Dredge's 1cc tools.  Other effects you might want to use, like Innocent Blood, are easily countered by having more creatures in play. 
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »

The parameters -- as I mentioned in the podcast - are far from easy.   

With Chain of Vapor, Nature's Claim, Wax/Wane, Simplify, Contagion, Mental Misstep, Firestorm, etc. etc Dredge has 0 or 1 mana answers for almost every conceivable piece of hate.

Then, it only needs a one or two turn window to take advantage of the fact that the hate isn't in play to do something about it. 

That's why I think Kevin is on the right track that whatever piece of hate that could be conceivably printed, it would basically have to be hexproof.  Although, even then, workarounds could be designed.  As was mentioned in the podcast, there are effects which require sacrifices, not just destruction. 

That's why I said I don't think it's really possible.  We already have plenty of Dredge hosers.  I don't see the value or even the need for more.

withmangone
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 02:01:25 pm »

Re: the dredge nail, i suppose the most unfair way to deal with dredge would be cheap emblems. Something like a 1-drop planeswalker that can tormod's and emblem LotV effect the turn it comes into play. It's ultimate could be something like, target dredge player without mental misstep in hand buys you a sandwich.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 02:48:54 pm »

What about a card enabling an archetype that is simply superior to Dredge?  

Super Ritual - B
Add BB to your mana pool.
Group Threshhold - Add BBBBB to your mana pool instead if there are at least seven cards in graveyards.

This may provide a massive bump to storm decks, who are already great against Dredge, and make em bona fide dredge killers.

Or something like this, again enabling a potentially new deck archetype that should be critically good against Dredge:

Super Tome - 1
Aether Effect: Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, if it is not the first creature to enter the battlefield that turn, you may draw a card.

Or, perhaps, something that exploits Dredge's lack of counter magic and dodges removal:

Super Crypt: 1
1, Return Super Crypt to your hand: Exile target graveyard.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:51:39 pm by MaximumCDawg » Logged
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:12 pm »

with the rise of MM in both dredge and non-dredge decks, I really feel like ravenous trap is becoming a great anti-dredge card when combined with leyline. It gets by all of the cards that Steve mentioned, with the only answer (therp) confidently being hit by MM. Post board dredge has waaaay more answers to perms then cards in hand right now.

While a hex proof perm is an idea, I think a better design space to explore would be a 1cc split second effect.

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »

with the rise of MM in both dredge and non-dredge decks, I really feel like ravenous trap is becoming a great anti-dredge card when combined with leyline. It gets by all of the cards that Steve mentioned, with the only answer (therp) confidently being hit by MM. Post board dredge has waaaay more answers to perms then cards in hand right now.

While a hex proof perm is an idea, I think a better design space to explore would be a 1cc split second effect.

Ravenous Trap with "Buyback: Discard a card."

That'd do it.
hvndr3d y34r h3x
Basic User

80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best an

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 07:02:09 pm »

Dredge killer: A 2cc planeswalker that leylines in, or has a pitch cost, and has an imidiate ultimate that gives you a leyline of the void emblem and crypts them in a non target fashion. Then some other abilities that are not awfull. One has to be something that kills hard casted dudes.
You could make a killer helm of obedience deck with this thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am 80:20 against LordHomerCat, the word's 2nd best and on other days the world's best vintage player. Wink
voltron00x
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:27 pm »

Ravenous Trap with "Buyback: Discard a card."

That'd do it.

Leyline of Sanctity beats this, for what its worth; Leyline of the Void reduces it to a regular Rav Trap. 

A Shroud or Hexproof creature that plays free seems unlikely to exist, at least to me.

I do think that Cage + Rav Trap in decks like Beats and Fish is one potent strategy that is underplayed, especially since those decks can get value from maindecking Cage.

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.”

Team East Coast Wins
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »

With the "what printing would put the nail in Dredge?" I think Kevin mentioned it in the podcast that the format in a way is "pure," metagame driven. Vintage is at a point where the format is so big and wide open I don’t think any printing or even printings would actually put the nail in the coffin for Dredge because it would be able to adapt, just like any other deck in the format. That paired with the fact that people are ALWAYS going to take the Dredge challenge, not playing any SB hate hoping to dodge it.
While I know you're talking about realistic printings, there already exists a card in a non-tourney legal set that would do it:
Library of Congress, Basic Land
You may pay  {0} rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you play.
You may play nine additional lands on each of your turns.
 {0}: Choose up to nine cards you own from outside the game and put them into your hand.
 {0}: End the turn.
 {0}: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
 {0}: Choose up to nine cards you own from outside the game and shuffle them into your library.
 {0}: Draw a card.
 {0}: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
 {0}: ~this~ deals one damage to target creature or player.
 {0}: Untap target permanent.
 {0}: Tap target permanent.
 {0}: You gain 50 life.
 {0}: Destroy target permanent.
 {0}: Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
 {0}: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
 {0}: Add  to your mana pool.
 {0}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
56 of these and 4x Shivan Gorge seems likely to dominate any format where this is legal.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:34:28 pm by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »

The parameters -- as I mentioned in the podcast - are far from easy.   

With Chain of Vapor, Nature's Claim, Wax/Wane, Simplify, Contagion, Mental Misstep, Firestorm, etc. etc Dredge has 0 or 1 mana answers for almost every conceivable piece of hate.

That's true.  So let's imagine a block someday where the theme is "Exile Zone Matters."  And let's say that tons of the cards in the set have a Leyline of the Void or Bojuka Bog effect in addition to whatever else they do at about the same frequency as Snow occured in Coldsnap.  Every non-basic land, hate bear, cantrip, and counterspell either Bogs or LotV's.  I think at that point a Fish or Shop deck could pack enough hate and preasure to beat Dredge out of the format.

That's why I think Kevin is on the right track that whatever piece of hate that could be conceivably printed, it would basically have to be hexproof.  Although, even then, workarounds could be designed.  As was mentioned in the podcast, there are effects which require sacrifices, not just destruction. 

That's why I said I don't think it's really possible.  We already have plenty of Dredge hosers.  I don't see the value or even the need for more.

I agree.  I don't see the need for anymore either.  I don't see how GY hate could get any more efficient than Trap, Crypt, Bog, and Cage anyway.

Peace,

-Troy

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »

I really want to play and like Agent of Bolas, but I feel like in my testing so far that most of the time I just wish he was Jace instead. Someone make a hard pitch to me, because I want a reason to pick up a foil one...
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

Keep the feedback coming.   I'm glad folks are enjoying our show.   

The show is awesome smemmy...I also thought you guys were great in the Ambiguously Gay Duo show Smile

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
BaronSengir
Basic User

patriarch1002
View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 08:11:15 am »

Good podcast guys.

To answer the dredge question I agree with Stephen that it would probably have to be hexproof to be of any value. Like a Leyline of the Void or Yixlid that is hexproof. Dredge is plenty stoppable now, you just have to be prepared for it and know what you need opening hand to deal with it or hope you don't face it, which is never the case with me. Last Xtreme Games there were two Dredgers and I played both round one and two...

To answer the trophy art question I was really hoping for Time Vault; its a card from the original sets and by many is argued to be the 10th piece of power. Other options I'd like to have seen would have been Yawgmoth's Will, Demonic Tutor, Mishra's Workshop, maybe a new Library of Alexandria or the duals, but starting over with the Power Nine? Idk that just seems like a waste to me.

"Bottled life. Not as tasty as I'm used to, rather stale, but it has the same effect." Baron Sengir
My Deck Index
chrispikula
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »

I think the worse card for dredge would just be a nonbasic land that tapped for blue but you could sacrifice for a Tormod's Crypt effect.  You could call it Graverobber's Study or somesuch. 

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed with this podcast. I've really enjoyed the previous ones, but I thought this one you guys just seemed underprepared. 
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:47 pm »

which is ironic because every question was scripted in advance.  This was a shorter podcast than usual, so that may have contributed to that impression. 

Re: Vintage Champs Art: To me, the disappointment isn't that they are repeating the cycle of P9 art so much as it is the fact that they are offering TIMEWISTER art.

Timetwister isn't even played in Vintage much at all.   It seems strange, to say the least, to be offering art on a card that sees almost no play in the format.  Might as well have art for Juzam Djinn.   Hell, I'd rather have that. 

CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

I think the worse card for dredge would just be a nonbasic land that tapped for blue but you could sacrifice for a Tormod's Crypt effect.  You could call it Graverobber's Study or somesuch. 

I was thinking of addressing this point, but forgot to during the recording.  I agree that it's more likely that incremental effects will be the thing that pushes Dredge away, if such a thing were to happen.

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed with this podcast. I've really enjoyed the previous ones, but I thought this one you guys just seemed underprepared. 

As Steve said: ironic.  We actually prepped more for this than many other episodes.  Steve did have one or two quantitative questions that I hadn't prepped an answer for, but otherwise we actually had drafted more material than we used.  I'll chalk your impressions up to our effortless, off-the-cuff chemistry Wink

Our next episode will doubtless address the pending B/R list update.  I honestly hope they give us something to talk about!

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Shax
Basic User

0TonyMontana0 =twittername add me!

Braveheart+Shax
View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »

Good podcast by great players. Good game.

Nah, just kidding.. or am I? The Vintage metagame report was spot on. I enjoy these podcast Steve and they are the only way for me to get some reliable voice input on Vintage around here. So keep them up and have a good time in Cali!!! Surf some bro!!

Jesus Christ the King of Kings!

Vintage Changes: Unrestricted Ponder

Straight OG Ballin' shuffle em up tool cause you lookin' like mashed potatoes from my Tatergoyf. Hater whats a smurf? You lucksack? I OG. You make plays? I own deez. You win Tourneys? I buy locks. You double down? I triple up. Trojan Man? Latex. ClubGangster? I own it.Sexy mop? Wii U. Shax 4 President?
-Hypnotoa
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: