TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 03:30:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avacyn Restored  (Read 6697 times)
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »

Here she is:

Avacyn, Angel of Hope  {5} {W} {W} {W}
Legendary Creature - Angel (Mythic)
Flying, Vigilance
Avacyn, Angel of Hope and other permanents you control are indestructible.
8/8

Big, tough, and relevant. Checks all the boxes for a T4 fatty. Also looks like an EDH card, making it harder to get a foil copy for my stack.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

My hopes for Vintage worthy cards in this set is almost non-existent.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »

Kaalia says hai.  Avacyn looks real good with Greaves/Boots on.  I be like "Well I guess I'll Geddon/Akroma's Vengeance, blow you fuckers out, have a bunch of angels and dragons and shit over here."

edit - oh snap this isn't the EDH forum haha
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:15:15 am »

Avacyn is not a bomb but she seems pretty solid. Worse case scenario she is an 8/8 flying vigilance indestructible... It's pretty easy to deal with indestructibles so I wouldn't count on her protecting something for long.

Banishing Stroke    {5} {W}
Instant    Uncommon
Put target artifact, creature or enchantment on the bottom of its owner's library.
Miracle {W} (You may cast this card for its miracle cost when you draw it if it's the first card you drew this turn.)

This removal is very versatile, instant speed, hits indestructibles and prevents grave shenanigans. Seems like a card most stacks will play.

Thunderous Wrath   {4}{R} {R}
Instant    Uncommon
Thunderous Wrath deals 5 damage to target creature or player.
Miracle {R} (You may cast this card for its miracle cost when you draw it if it's the first card you drew this turn.)

Less strong but if people want more burn this is playable (I do).

Griselbrand    {4}{B} {B} {B} {B}
Legendary Creature - Demon    Mythic Rare
Flying, lifelink
Pay 7 life: Draw seven cards.
7/7

The activated ability seems very good. People will want to cheat that into play. It can immediately win you the game if you have infinite life. Even the body is serviceable.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:36 am »

The activated ability seems very good. People will want to cheat that into play. It can immediately win you the game if you have infinite life. Even the body is serviceable.

Can it? Yeah, it's good, but usually the thing you fear the most with infinite life is getting decked, and drawing all your deck won't help there. You need to have a good grip and not lose control at any point. But winning instantly in T4 is pretty hard.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:14:17 am »

Killing Wave
   xb
Sorcery    Rare
For each creature, its controller sacrifices it unless he or she pays X life.

This card is so in. At worst, it's a pretty efficient Wrath effect that kills Indestructible, at best, you can check life points and cost it so that you or another player can keep a creature alive.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »

Nice find. Thought it was mana on first glance. Now to decide if I want the promo or regular art. Hmm...
RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gisela. I know she doesn't have an immediate impact on the board, but she creates a game state that makes you quite resilient to loosing and putting All opponents in precarious situations.
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:09:17 am »

Haven't thought of that, that's probably the most common turn of events in most stacks. It plays out very differently here. We have quite a few answers for infinite life - poison (Blightsteel Collosus and Viral Drake), setting life totals (Magister Sphinx; Sorin, Lord of Markov; Soul Conduit and Reverse the Sands), Door to Nothingness, Mindslaver (often there is a way of paying infinite life) and infinite damage/milling combos. The answer always came before the deck ended so far. It heavily depends on how many cards you have in your deck, I guess. If we play with 5 players, which is the average, with a 400 cards stack we have 80 per deck.

Gaining infinite life is good for your survival but is often not enough to win. Drawing your deck is usually enough, as we have learned from Arcanis + Sneak Attack and the like.

I like Gisela, she will usually result in your opponents spending burn spells on each other. Not an immediate impact but pretty close to that.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:21:04 am »

Haven't thought of that, that's probably the most common turn of events in most stacks. It plays out very differently here. We have quite a few answers for infinite life - poison (Blightsteel Collosus and Viral Drake), setting life totals (Magister Sphinx; Sorin, Lord of Markov; Soul Conduit and Reverse the Sands), Door to Nothingness, Mindslaver (often there is a way of paying infinite life) and infinite damage/milling combos. The answer always came before the deck ended so far. It heavily depends on how many cards you have in your deck, I guess. If we play with 5 players, which is the average, with a 400 cards stack we have 80 per deck.

Gaining infinite life is good for your survival but is often not enough to win. Drawing your deck is usually enough, as we have learned from Arcanis + Sneak Attack and the like.

I like Gisela, she will usually result in your opponents spending burn spells on each other. Not an immediate impact but pretty close to that.

Ah, well, we usually draft and play with 40 card decks, so decking is much more of an option.

Gisela is cute, I must say she's a pretty efficient blocker and should keep people off you or killing each other, I'd give it a try.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »

~Favored of Blood
   4b
Enchantment    Rare
Whenever an opponent loses life, you gain that much life.

Wow... this is pretty efficient. It will make you the primary target for sure, but it's a freaking good effect.

Rite of Ruin
   5rr
Sorcery    Rare
Choose an order for artifacts, creatures, and lands. Each player sacrifices one permanent of the first type, sacrifices two of the second type, then sacrifices three of the third type.

Yet another Akroma's Vengeance, Jokulhaups. Very playable.

???

Land    Rare
{T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
{U}{G}, {T}: Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.

Move over Winding Canyons, this kicks ass!

Slayers' Stronghold
Land    Rare
{T}: Add to your mana pool.
{R}{W},{T} : Target creature gains +2/+0, haste and vigilance until the end of turn.

Is this playable? It's between Lightning Greaves and the land that gives double strike. Haste and vigilance are pretty good, +2 is nothing to sneeze at. You can always use it on opponent creatures to mess up blocks.

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

I like Stronghold and think it is playable. This is uncounterable in comparison to Greaves but doesn't give the creature shroud. It is not as much damage as Sunhome but allows you to keep a blocker back. I would say the comparison you made was pretty fair.

Favored of Blood and that Flash land definitely make our stack too.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

How about this:

Primal Surge  {8} {G} {G}
Sorcery (Mythic)

Exile the top card of your library. If its a permanent card, you may put it onto the battlefield. If you do, repeat this process.

How often will this just do nothing? Depending on the stack/drafted deck. Works well with effects that throw CMC as damage, like Knollspine Invocation and Riddle of Lightning. Of course, you could just hit a bunch of permanents and go nuts.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:11:39 pm »

Well, if you draft, then this should definitively go in for the guy that always pics all the fatties. If you usually just shuffle and play, I probably wouldn't play this, you have a 40% chance of it doing nothing and a good 80% chance of just getting 1 random card for free (not nearly exact %).

Fetches with Grozoth!
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 06:02:52 pm »

It has a CMC of 10 not 9. It doesn't work with Grozoth but combos nicely with Congregation at Dawn.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:22:27 pm »

Exquisite Blood    {4} {B}
Enchantment    Rare
Whenever an opponent loses life, you gain that much life.
Even as humans regained the upper hand, some still willingly traded their lives for a chance at immortality.

~Wind of Death   {X} {B}
Instant    Common
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.

~Natural Ending    {2} {G}
Instant    Common
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You gain 3 life.

~Rain of Thorns  {4} {G} {G}
Sorcery    Uncommon
Choose one or more -Destroy target artifact; or destroy target enchantment; or destroy target land.
RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:33:23 am »

Generous Set IMHO

This is practically reads - Akroma's Vengence target player.

One sided Furnace of Rath - Yes Please.

With all the CIP triggers of creatures in most Stacks

Good bye Winding Canyons.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:41:30 am by RaZe » Logged
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:54 am »

I disagree with a couple of the choices.

Restoration Angel is a small body and only works against target removal. It does nothing for mass removal or creatures like Masticore.

Devastation Tide is Ok, but barely good enough. It's a weak Upheaval.

Lone Revenant is awful. It dies in combat to everything and if you do connect, you get an extra card, big whoop!

Conjurer's Closet seems REALLY limited, not that many creatures that have CIPT and you do assemble some, it will not stay for long. It's an awkward combo with a card that does nothing alone.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:14 am »

I'd consider Raze's list to be the best stuff.  I agree with Wagner that some of it isn't as powerful (like Restoration Angel) but it all depends on the composition of your stack.  Lone Revenant seems a bit underpowered but it's also one of those cards you can actually resolve in the early game and there's usually someone with no blockers for it to connect with (still probably wont make the cut in most stacks, tho) 

If you consider "Miracle" to be a freebie abilitiy then cards like Devatation Tide or Terminus get a lot more powerful. 

Tyrant of Discord is pretty sick in that if someone doesn't have a land they are going to have to sacrifice everything.  Does the "repea the process" line allow me to choose new targets or does it just keep picking on one person?

Dark Imposter, Gristlebrand and Alchemist's Refuge are the ones that stand out for me.  Dark Imposter is one of the best Masticores I've ever seen.  Winding canyons was pretty good, but Alchemist's Refuge will allow you to finally cast those big sorceries you can never seem to resolve.   

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:26 am »

My inclusions:

Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Auto include pretty much everywhere. here are many ways to deal with indestructibles so she is not gonna be a bomb, but protecting your other permanents too is very sweet.

Banishing Stroke - Good piece of removal that has both versatility and reanimation hosing.

Divine Reflection - The effect is better than Shining Shoal, nuff said

Dark Impostor - A Plaguebearer that exiles, hits nonblack creatures, is a 2/2 and pumps himself is a card I could get behind. But gaining activated abilities too? That last line seems to be made for type 4.

Death Wind - A solid removal that kills indestructibles and regenerators.

Exquisite Blood - A good card if you can count on your opponents fighting each other, even very good.

Griselbrand - Pay 7 life: Draw 7 cards is monstrous, with a useful body as a bonus.

Tyrant of Discord - Sacrificing battlefields is good, even thought it's a mere vanilla 7/7 otherwise

Thunderous Wrath - An instant burn for 5 is not playable in FFA but very good in other formats.

Natural End - An upgrade to the basic Disenchant that does the job.

Gisela - again, good if your opponents are fighting and does 10 flying damage to boot while protecting you somewhat

Alchemist's Refuge - The best type 4 land so far

Desolate Lighthouse - A free loot every turn is not something you can ignore. Even though the games here are short, the card quality increase is worth it.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:11 am »

Divine Reflection - The effect is better than Shining Shoal, nuff said

I'm curious, how is it better than Shining Shoal, I don't see any difference in use or wording. Shining Shoal can also be cast for free if you use alternate CC rule.

Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:28 am »

Shining Shoal

Instant Arcane, XWW

You may exile a white card with converted mana cost X from your hand rather than pay Shining Shoal's mana cost.

The next X damage that a source of your choice would deal to you and/or creatures you control this turn is dealt to target creature or player instead.

In Shining Shoal you select a single source. The new card can prevent that will be dealt to you (and creatures you control) by, say, several attackers and reflect it. It does lose the alt cast, but from my experience Shoal was usually cast with X = infinity as an attempt to finish off someone. It's not strictly better or anything, but the effect is better.
RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:25 am »

Shining Shoal

Instant Arcane, XWW

You may exile a white card with converted mana cost X from your hand rather than pay Shining Shoal's mana cost.

The next X damage that a source of your choice would deal to you and/or creatures you control this turn is dealt to target creature or player instead.

In Shining Shoal you select a single source. The new card can prevent that will be dealt to you (and creatures you control) by, say, several attackers and reflect it. It does lose the alt cast, but from my experience Shoal was usually cast with X = infinity as an attempt to finish off someone. It's not strictly better or anything, but the effect is better.

So in essence, if you someone casts Marshal's Anthem returning Spawnsire of Ulamog and is attacking me with infinite 1/2 Eldrazi Spawn Tokens, I'm better off with Divine Deflection and WIN. Where as if someone had cast Inferno, then Shinning Shoal would be the nuts.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:43 pm »

Not really, both cards to the exact same thing for Inferno. Shining Shoal doesn't redirect damage to other players or creatures but you and your own.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: