TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 02:44:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Creep  (Read 2175 times)
RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

Power Creep. We all know what it is. We've cut some of our 'pet' cards for simply 'better' cards as new sets come along. After a few years, we notice that some 'bombs' and 'staples' have fallen into mediocrity. I am currently in the middle of an over haul for my T4 Stack from when I last fully updated it back in Futuresight. [I have been low key due to change in life priorities].  Now some cards are just simply better 'upgrades' are a no-brainer. But some are more on the grey side. And I would like to find other peoples opinion on them.

Copy creatures. [which ones survived the cut]

Body Double
Clone
Cryptoplasm
Dimir Doppelganger
Evil Twin
Phyrexian Metamorph
Quicksilver Gargantuan
Sakashima, the Impostor
Shapesharer
Vesuvan Doppleganger
Vesuvan Shapeshifter

Copy Spells [for creatures - are they even worth it.]

Cackling Counterpart
Followed Footsteps
Rite of Replication
Spitting Image

*how to you make links for card names?
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:06:22 pm »

Click the hyperlink button. Then the url tags should appear. After the first url type the equals sign = followed by the actual url. In between the url tags, type the name of the card or whatever you want the hyperlink to say. Ex. - Cackling Counterpart

Dimir Doppleganger is solid since it also doubles as graveyard removal. Rite of Replication is too good to cut just based on the fact that you can copy a Djinn of Wishes. Seriously though, copying any random, non-Legendary fatty is quite strong. Vesuvan Shapeshifter is still in the stack too. We have quite a few morph creatures though and the surprise factor is a nice bonus. We've either cut or never included the other cards you listed.

I hope this helps.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:03 am »

*how to you make links for card names?
Also, just as a general rule... If you want to know how to do some formatting thing or other, you can often just quote someone who's already done it and look at the markup codes. From there, you can just duplicate what they've done (even literally copy/paste then edit), and just check it via the preview button as you adjust until it looks how you want.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »

I'm doing an overhaul myself so here's my thoughts...

Body Double is outclassed by The mimeoplasm
Clone is always good but outclassed by Progenitor Mimic
Cryptoplasm is too slow to be worth.
Dimir Doppelganger : nothing to add at A1's comment
Evil Twin : nice but a bit slow
Phyrexian Metamorph : nice but has the cons of its pros since it's vulnerable to disenchant AND creature removal. Replicant has the same problems but can be tutored with Eye of Ugin, at least. And Replicant exiles its target while not copying the ability. I prefer Replicant, but really depends on your taste here.
Quicksilver Gargantuan : a fatty clone. Never been in the case where its 7/7 body was WEAKER than the one copied.
Sakashima, the Impostor : his auto-protection is too slow to be effective
Shapesharer : Hey, love it. Things worth of noting : it's a Changeling so Tribal effects as Scion of the ur-dragon or Faerie's trickery or Cruel revival affect it. It has a 2 CMC, so can be bring back into play with a Sun titan. Nice. Cons : it targets.
Vesuvan Doppleganger : Outclassed by the following
Vesuvan Shapeshifter : can change almost anytime he wants, adds bluff as long as it's first played into Morph, and can be a free spell if you apply the AAC rule for Morph.

Copy Spells [for creatures - are they even worth it.]

Cackling Counterpart : targets only yours, so cannot be a Legend removal. No.
Followed Footsteps : Progenitor Mimic has this on itself, now
Rite of Replication : Plus Kokusho. Or Djinn of Wishes. Or Diluvan Primordial. Or Sepulchral Primordial. Or Terrastodon... There are so many insane play out there with this card you should keep it.
Spitting Image : I love Lands in T4, since they are permanent and almost uncounterable free effects. But they are too few to justify the Retrace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: