TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2019, 05:27:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic 2013  (Read 4095 times)
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:37:21 am »

Make room in the stack for this red spell:

Worldfire  {6} {R} {R} {R}
Sorcery (M)
Exile all permanents. Exile all cards from all hands and graveyards. Each player's life total becomes 1.

Not sure what to comparison to make. Kinda like Biorhythm and Decree of Annihilation had a kid. Looks like it will be more fun than Decree, but more dangerous than Rhythm. You want to cheat this with Vedalken Orrery at EOT and draw something like Siege-Gang Commander.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »

I absolutely want to see that played, but sadly it's not that good. As you said, you need Orrery to make it decent, otherwise everyone gets a card before you. Even if you're not the first one hit, if you play with the rule that you get 1 card and 5 lives for killing a player, you'll be way behind.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:24 pm »

I won't be playing Worldfire, but this is an auto-include in my stack:

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:07 pm »

Is Firewing Phoenix replacing Skarrgan Firebird in the Meandeck stack? Or maybe you could just run both to increase your chances of finding one to combo with any number of cards. My personal favorite is Stormbind.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:44:17 am »

Name: Stormtide Leviathan
Cost: 5{U}{U}{U}
Type: Creature - Leviathan
Pow/Tgh: 8/8
Rules Text: Islandwalk (This creature is unblockable as long as defending player controls an Island.)
All lands are Islands in addition to their other types.
Creatures without flying or islandwalk can't attack.
Rarity: Rare
Like this one if you don't consider everyone has all basic land types.

Name: Cathedral of War
Type: Land
Rules Text: Cathedral of War enters the battlefield tapped.

Exalted

{t}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
Illus. Kekai Kotaki
Set Number: #221/249

Not that big but well... who knows ? Free boost, incounterable.

Name: Elderscale Wurm
Cost: 4ggg
Type: Creature - Wurm
Pow/Tgh: 7/7
Rules Text: Trample
When Elderscale Wurm enters the battlefield, if your life total is less than 7, your life total becomes 7.
As long as you have 7 or more life, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 7 reduces it to 7 instead.
Illus. Richard Wright
Rarity: Mythic Rare
Set Number: #167/249
Don't know what to think about this one. It's not a platz angel, but works somehow on the same mechanic but only with life total. Maybe in lower powered stacks awaiting for their platz angel.

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:34 pm »

I wasn't a huge fan of Stormtide in Type 4 the first time around. It's probably worth another look though if you consider that tweak.

Cathedral gets outclassed by so many other lands. I don't think it belongs in even the weakest of stacks.

Platinum Angel is pretty cheap money wise and is much better than this Wurm imo. The Wurm doesn't have haste or evasion, isn't that big, and cannot protect itself. Does it even save you from dying if you take lethal damage?

Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »

Does it even save you from dying if you take lethal damage?

Yes it does, you can't go below 7 life, at all, not with damage, not with uncounterable damage, not with loss of life. It's like Platinum Emperion, except it's at least 7 life.

I think it's a fair card, and much better than Platinum Angel. With Platinum, you can't really block or attack well, and when it dies, so do you. Also, it's easier to kill being an artifact. At least, when this guy dies, you still have 7 life left.

I think Firewing Phoenix is pretty awful, if you don't have any combo with it, it's VERY slow and not that big, I feel half the time it will just be blocked by a 5/5.

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. In that case, the Wurm definitely warrants consideration. I'm not sure, but I believe it would have to compete with Platz and Fortune Thief for a slot in my stack. Or I could just run all 3 (I'm pretty indecisive).

It's been a long time since I've seen the Meandeck Type 4 stack, but my guess is that the Phoenix combos with a lot of cards.

RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:37:16 am »

GG

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:47 am »

A couple of cards for those of us with an ACC rule:

Mindclaw Shaman           {4} {R}
Creature - Viashino Shaman    
When Mindclaw Shaman enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may cast an instant or sorcery card from it without paying its mana cost.
2/2

Solid dude for most stacks I'd say.

Omniscience                      {7} {U} {U} {U}
Enchantment    
You may cast nonland cards from your hand without paying their mana costs.

AKA, "Hey everybody!  Please all gang up on me right now!"  The scary thing is, even with that happening, I still think you have a solid chance of winning if this sticks and you have a decent hand.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:00:01 pm by Lysyc12 » Logged
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:12 am »

Name: Faith's Reward
Cost: 3w
Type: Instant
Rules Text: Return to the battlefield all permanent cards in your graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.

I love this one since it can allow you to have a board when someone else casts a balance or something wrath-like. It's like a "I will counter this card's effect for me only, please." And it can be tutored with sunforger. Nice one.

TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 11:21:59 am »

Rules Text: Return to the battlefield all permanent cards in your graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.

I love this one since it can allow you to have a board when someone else casts a balance or something wrath-like. It's like a "I will counter this card's effect for me only, please." And it can be tutored with sunforger. Nice one.

It may counter one side of balance's effect - but if that spell is cast, it should basically be one-sided anyway.  Only in desperation would someone sacrifice their own advantages to even the field.  Balance is a card best used A) immediately after dropping moxen as a cheap mind twist/geddon or B) as a cheap wrath after sandbagging the opponent.  In either case, a simple counterspell is more effective and versatile.  The ONLY use I could see for this is in something with a big smokestack effect (and shops wont run this) or something that destroys everything (nev disk?).  It is a combo card, not a defensive card - and not a very good combo at that.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:39 pm »

It may counter one side of balance's effect - but if that spell is cast, it should basically be one-sided anyway.  Only in desperation would someone sacrifice their own advantages to even the field.  Balance is a card best used A) immediately after dropping moxen as a cheap mind twist/geddon or B) as a cheap wrath after sandbagging the opponent.  In either case, a simple counterspell is more effective and versatile.  The ONLY use I could see for this is in something with a big smokestack effect (and shops wont run this) or something that destroys everything (nev disk?).  It is a combo card, not a defensive card - and not a very good combo at that.

This is the T4 forum, your vintage terminology is completely worthless here! Razz
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:51 pm »

Uh, so this seems amazing...

Spelltwine     {5} {U}
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard and target instant or sorcery from your opponent's graveyard. Copy those cards. Cast the copies if able without paying their mana cost. Exile Spelltwine.

RaZe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:38 pm »

Uh, so this seems amazing...

Spelltwine     {5} {U}
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard and target instant or sorcery from your opponent's graveyard. Copy those cards. Cast the copies if able without paying their mana cost. Exile Spelltwine.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:42 pm »

Here is my M13 buylist with comments:

Diabolic Revelation - want to see this art in foil. Will have to fix the X somehow, either pay life instead of mana or roll a D6.
Elderscale Wurm - initially underestimated this guy, until it frustrated me in a pre-release. Not the same in T4, but acceptable.
Omniscience - this is the ultimate ACC card. Clearly busted, will make for some fun stories and quick deaths.
Spelltwine - another nice T4 card that will enable lots of different interactions.
Worldfire - see my earlier comments. Decree slows the game down so much it's boring. Biorhythm ends it too quickly (sometimes in a tie just for funzies.) Worldfire should strike a nice balance of power and further gameplay.

Overall, not bad for a core set. Looking forward to playing with new toys.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »

Spell Twine and Omniscience look sick.  I'll be hunting down foils of those. 

Diabolic Revelations is just too crazy for me. If you have a consistant group and can make some sort of errata to make it useable I could be cool, or if your stack was already ridiculous. 

Mindclaw Shaman might be underated.  if you have ways of cheating a creature into play this guy could be a pretty major surprise.  At least in my world, most people with a few cards in hand are holding some major instants, or at minimum counters.  I'm sure there's lots of combos you could do as well (Metathran Aerostat, Chainer, etc).   

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:19:13 pm »

Diabolic Revelations is just too crazy for me. If you have a consistant group and can make some sort of errata to make it useable I could be cool, or if your stack was already ridiculous.
Diabolic Revelation - want to see this art in foil. Will have to fix the X somehow, either pay life instead of mana or roll a D6.

The card Conflux is probably the closest comparison. Tutoring for five cards is absolutely busted. I think limiting this new tutor to 3 cards would be fair. Once I find a foil one, I'll probably just write a "3" on the card.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: