TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 01:57:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #23  (Read 1768 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:47:57 am »

Hi all!

Every week, I'm going to start an 8-player single elimination bracket.  Rules are very similar to the TMD online invitational:
1. Games are played publicly on Cockatrice
2. Players have at most a week to complete each match.
3. Lists must be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
3a. You cannot change lists between rounds.
3b. If requested by your opponent, you must reveal your deck at the beginning of each match after the first week.
4. Brackets are fully randomized.

Registration will be closed once we have 8 people or about a week passes and I remember to draw up a bracket.

Players signed up as of last update:
1. AmbivalentDuck
2. Serracollector
3. GI
4. mrjumbo

First matches must be complete by August 6th.  If all matches complete before then, the next set will be due within a week, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:40:24 am by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:12:35 am »

in

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:36:50 am »

+1

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »

+1

TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

Hi all!

Every week, I'm going to start an 8-player single elimination bracket.  Rules are very similar to the TMD online invitational:
1. Games are played publicly on Cockatrice
2. Players have at most a week to complete each match.
3. Lists must be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
3a. You cannot change lists between rounds.
3b. If requested by your opponent, you must reveal your deck at the beginning of each match after the first week.
4. Brackets are fully randomized.

Registration will be closed once we have 8 people or about a week passes and I remember to draw up a bracket.

Players signed up as of last update:
1. AmbivalentDuck
2. Serracollector
3. GI

First matches must be complete by August 6th.  If all matches complete before then, the next set will be due within a week, and so on.

I see a problem with 3b as a rule in general.  If I were to play in this, I would request to see my opponent's deck EVERY week after week 1.  If I am on the draw and see my opponent plays shops, there's no way I keep a hand with mox mana and no basics/fetches.  If I see my opponent is on dredge, I mulligan away my counters/fish to dig for my wastes/cages EVERY time.  Seeing your opponent's deck at the beginning of G1 each week automatically gives me mulligan strategy advantage.  Similarly, if I run shops and my opponent's deck turns out to be fish, my turn 1 chalice @1/thorn now becomes turn 1 chalice @2 without a doubt.  Having this knowledge can seriously hamper certain decks' chances g1 (particularly dredge).  How often would you change your kept hands or your turn 1 plays if you knew they were on dredge or had no FoWs?

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Grand Inquisitor
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:48:14 am »

problem with 3b

The reason why this works is because it's after the first round.  Ie, like in any tournament, people can scout to know what their (Round 2+) opponent is playing.  The rule just allows for perfect scouting, so people can't use friends/other arbitrage to gain an advantage.

It seems fair and even necessary to me.

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34:12 am »

problem with 3b

The reason why this works is because it's after the first round.  Ie, like in any tournament, people can scout to know what their (Round 2+) opponent is playing.  The rule just allows for perfect scouting, so people can't use friends/other arbitrage to gain an advantage.

It seems fair and even necessary to me.
QFT

This was also put into place after we had problems with folks loading updated decks between rounds.  Since we all make changes to our decks over 3+ weeks, it's hard to remember to use a sometimes painfully older version.  This makes it the responsibility of both players.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
mrjumbo03
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 12:34:53 am »

Exam week is about to be over so I think I can join this.  Very Happy

Workshop. Trinisphere. Go.
Grand Inquisitor
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:22:31 am »

We're at 11 days.

I say in these cases we try round robin.  Very Happy

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:23 am »

Agreed, and up

Week 1: Duck vs Jumbo, GI vs Serra
Week 2: Serra vs Duck, GI vs Jumbo
Week 3: Duck vs GI, Serra vs Jumbo

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: