TheManaDrain.com
August 14, 2020, 06:13:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: [RtR] Epic Experiment - Soon restricted?  (Read 17032 times)
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 11:23:26 am »

Because you cast the spells and don't put them on the stack, after you cast a card with split second you wouldn't be allowed to cast any other spells and you would put the rest in the graveyard.

Cause can't always wins

I think you're wrong. Because you're casting during the resolution of the spell, I think it allows you to do all of it. Not certain. Judge?

Reminder from Gatherer
"You cast the cards one at a time, choosing modes, targets, and so on. The last card you cast will be the first one to resolve."
"When casting an instant or sorcery card this way, ignore timing restrictions based on the card’s type. Other timing restrictions, such as “Cast [this card] only during combat,” must be followed."

If you put a split second card on the stack, it will prevent you from casting all other spells until it resolves - including further casts from Epic Experiment's effect.  If Epic Experiment said "put all instants and sorceries on the stack"  (which they should start using as a template IMHO, instead of this "without paying it's man cost" nonsense), that would work, but that's not what's happening.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:20 pm »

If you put a split second card on the stack, it will prevent you from casting all other spells until it resolves - including further casts from Epic Experiment's effect.  If Epic Experiment said "put all instants and sorceries on the stack"  (which they should start using as a template IMHO, instead of this "without paying it's man cost" nonsense), that would work, but that's not what's happening.

No, that wouldn't work.  Unlike permanents entering the battlefield, only thing can go on the stack at a time; timing restrictions are fundamental to resolving the stack.  Even if Experiment just put the revealed cards on the stack, you'd still have to choose an order for it and you would arrive at the same result (except Cascade and Emrakul wouldn't trigger.)
Tempus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 01:28:23 am »

Nope, if the spells would be put on the stack, split second wouldn't prevent you doing that, cause split second uses the words cast and activiate. You can still put all the stuff you want on the stack on top of a split second card if you find a way to do it.

gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 08:00:13 am »

the way it looks like it works is anything you put on the stack after a split second card doesn't get cast.  Anything that goes on the stack before the split second card does.  If you had two split second cards on the stack, neither would get cast.  

All the cards go on the stack simultaneously, but you get to choose the order. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:03:09 am by gkraigher » Logged
Caron
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:22 am »

.. so finally i think we can agree that this card has only one evident use... it makes people discuss on the stack...
...but i really doubt that this card will be played in Vintage...
... for the same mana cost you have far better options...

Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2012, 07:04:38 pm »

the way it looks like it works is anything you put on the stack after a split second card doesn't get cast.  Anything that goes on the stack before the split second card does.  If you had two split second cards on the stack, neither would get cast.  

All the cards go on the stack simultaneously, but you get to choose the order.
You are wrong, and clearly don't have a very good grasp of Magic terminology. Please don't try to explain things you don't understand. CASTING a spell means taking it from the zone it's in, adding it to the stack, and paying it's costs as needed. You never CAST a spell that's already on the stack. For spells arleady on the stack, the action where it takes effect then goes into the graveyard is called RESOLVING.

Now that the terminology has been ironed out... If you somehow achieve the gamestate where a Spell X with split-second is on the stack, and Spell Y is above it, assuming priority is passed, the stack will clear without incident. Split-second does not stop things from resolving, it only prevents new things from being added in the conventional way. In the scenario above, Spell Y will resolve, then Spell X will resolve. If that same gamestate was achieved and Spell Y also had split-second, the same thing would happen. Spell Y resolves, then Spell X resolves.

I have to wonder what you thought would happen if the rules worked your way. Is the game a draw if you get a spell onto the stack above one with split-second? Neither player can cast spells or activate abilities? Forever? The turn won't progress since the stack never clears, so it's not like you can attack someone to death either. Also, why doesn't split-second prevent the spell which contains the ability from resolving?

Apologies to all for reviving a relatively dead thread, I've been travelling for the last few weeks. I was intending to just catch up on what I'd missed but this was too blatantly wrong for me to leave uncorrected. God help any poor bastard who read this and actually believed that was how the mechanic worked.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »

You are wrong, and clearly don't have a very good grasp of Magic terminology. Please don't try to explain things you don't understand. CASTING a spell means taking it from the zone it's in, adding it to the stack, and paying it's costs as needed. You never CAST a spell that's already on the stack. For spells arleady on the stack, the action where it takes effect then goes into the graveyard is called RESOLVING.

you're right.  you got me on this, thanks for teaching me a lesson.  how's this vintage deck coming along?  anyone have a decklist with some results against the 3 major pillars of the format?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: