TheManaDrain.com
December 05, 2019, 11:18:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern masters  (Read 10368 times)
median
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29449887/Modern_Masters?pg=last
Looks like wizards is reprinting a lot of modern legal cards, Tarmogoyf is confirmed. I see a lot of good implications for vintage in this with just goyf alone. If confidant, crucible, or other staples that are multi format get reprinted this would be a boon for the format.
What do you think?

Edit: details,

limited-run, draftable reprint set that features exclusively Modern-playables.

229 card set, 53 rares, 15 mythics. Comes in 24-pack booster boxes, MSRP $6.99/pack. Each pack comes with a foil, no basic lands. Goyf is confirmed at Mythic.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:51:34 pm by median » Logged

He traded goats for artifacts, artifacts for cards, cards for life. In the end, he traded life for goats.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

Only modern playables and a guaranteed foil should mean that the 7 bucks a pack should actually be worth it.  It's up through Alara block.  The only issue is that pretty much all the playable commons and uncommons in vintage are banned in modern...
Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:27:29 am »

I actually want to buy this

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah
honestabe
Basic User

How many more Unicorns must die???

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:45 am »

I want to draft with this soooo bad

As far as I can tell, the entire Vintage community is based on absolute statements
  -Chris Pikula
Cody.TopDeckInsurrection
Basic User

1992 Vintage World Champion

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:10:10 am »

I want to draft with this soooo bad

yeeaaahhhhh........

TEAM TOP DECK INSURRECTION-luck draws...fukin luck draws

HOPE FOR THE WORST
EXPECT THE BEST

Unban Shahrazad
brokenbacon
Basic User

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:31 am »

This looks insane

Vintage Master of Princeton @ SWC
Fuck your horse and the couch you rode in on
psyburat
Adepts
Basic User

Mike Noble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »

The combination of the small print run and huge span of time until it occurs, I feel safe knowing that I can unload my Tarmogoyfs (and will be) at pre-announcement market value.

How very me of you.
Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »

The combination of the small print run and huge span of time until it occurs, I feel safe knowing that I can unload my Tarmogoyfs (and will be) at pre-announcement market value.

I don't think it's going to have a huge mark on tar is value....I mean its still mythic

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah
honestabe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

I see Goyf dipping to $40-ish.

Online however, where there isn't a limit on print run, I think he'll be down to $20-ish

As far as I can tell, the entire Vintage community is based on absolute statements
  -Chris Pikula
Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

Online however, where there isn't a limit on print run, I think he'll be down to $20-ish

I guess we'll see what limited run means......I will be buying a case cause its so cool

Cody.TopDeckInsurrection
Basic User

1992 Vintage World Champion

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

This may or may not be the greatest set to poker draft!

HOPE FOR THE WORST
EXPECT THE BEST

Unban Shahrazad
mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 09:28:37 pm »

I'd say a $10 drop. That's it.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
Lemnear
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:38 am »

You are aware that it's in the mythic-slot? You can be thankful if it drops to 40$. I bet most of the Cross-Format chase rares pre-Alara will be scaled up being mythic in this set. Overall i cannot see this having real impact on the sec. market.

For the foil in the Land-Slot: Is there anything known about that? Is it Even possible that you find 2 foil mythics aka random distribution or have we a foil-Common Slot here?

Member of Team RS (Germany)
honestabe
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 05:58:46 am »

He's a mythic that's a reprint of a rare, in a set that isn't standard legal.  I know they said they won't print a lot, but they're having a GP, I imagine they're printing more than most people think.

-Chris Pikula
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:29 am »

Just as a quick back of the envelope calcuation:
$300/(14*6*15)+$100/(6*15) = $1.35

At their current prices, goyf and foil goyf alone account for $1.35 per pack.

So, you have to figure that since 7*24 ~ 4*36, you're still paying $100 per box. So, 25%-ish of the value of the set is in the one mythic. I think I remember Jace driving Worldwake packs in a similar way.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:13 am »

Just as a quick back of the envelope calcuation:
$300/(14*6*15)+$100/(6*15) = $1.35

Do you think you could take a minute to explain what the individual numbers in this equation represent?

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:22 am »

Sorry. I grabbed SCG prices. $300 for a foil goyf, $100 for a goyf. To get from dollars per card to dollars per pack, you divide by packs per card.

Since EVERY pack has a foil for this set: 1 in 14 shot of pulling a rare foil * 1 in 6 shot that the rare is replaced by a mythic * 1 in 15 of the mythics are Tarms.

For the rare slot instead of the foil slot, you don't worry about the 1 in 14 since since every rare slot is guaranteed to be rare or mythic.

Oh, and you can use this kind of math to get an idea of what prices will be for a new set in a few months. Ie. The cards in the box are actually worth slightly less than the box. Hint: expect the shocklands to fall precipitously. RtR just has way too much money in it to stay that high as folks keep opening packs. There's too much economic incentive to open packs and sell off their contents at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:24:47 am by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:49 am »

You are aware that it's in the mythic-slot? You can be thankful if it drops to 40$. I bet most of the Cross-Format chase rares pre-Alara will be scaled up being mythic in this set. Overall i cannot see this having real impact on the sec. market.

For the foil in the Land-Slot: Is there anything known about that? Is it Even possible that you find 2 foil mythics aka random distribution or have we a foil-Common Slot here?

I am and as a business man, unless I unload all my Goyfs in the next 6 mionths, a price drop to $40 is an absolute kick in the butt for a profitability standpoint.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:24 am »

I am and as a business man, unless I unload all my Goyfs in the next 6 mionths, a price drop to $40 is an absolute kick in the butt for a profitability standpoint.
By low, sell high. You have no fair expectation that your investment will simply accrue value from now until forever. Simply put, the copyright is not indefinite and at some point, I can start printing Black Lotuses with no fear of repercussion.

Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 10:06:08 am »

Sorry. I grabbed SCG prices. $300 for a foil goyf, $100 for a goyf. To get from dollars per card to dollars per pack, you divide by packs per card.

I guess when I calculate my own EV I try to avoid going with what a vendor is charging. It's worth noting that SCG is paying $175 and $60 respectively. Ebay BINs I always feel are in the right range for market value, and they're mostly in the $80 range for regular and $275 for foil. ebay and Paypal take a cut from the profit on those obviously. That said, it's still quite promising given that we still have the rest of the set to be spoiled.

Any other thoughts on valuable cards that could see a reprint in this set? Here's some I'd like to see:
Dark Confidant
Aether Vial
Sword of Fire and Ice
Crucible of Worlds
Engineered Explosives
Damnation
Pact of Negation
Thoughtseize
Mutavault
Vendilion Clique
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Noble Hierarch
Zendikar fetch lands
Emrakul, The Aeons Torn
Snapcaster Mage
Cavern of Souls

Jace TMS, Jitte and Chrome Mox would all be good also, but I doubt that would happen because they're banned in modern.

mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:30 am »

By low, sell high. You have no fair expectation that your investment will simply accrue value from now until forever.

Um, where exactly did I say that? All I am stating is that if I buy something with a perceived, mostly unchanged, value for the last 2 years, I would like to think that it won't drop in half at any point. Besides, name ANY place picking up Goyfs at $40 right now and not closer to SCG's $60 figure.

And Mike, part of the announcement was that any cards banned in Modern would not be reprinted. So there is zero chance of Jace being reprinted. Also, there is zero chance of the fetchlands or Emrakul being reprinted as all cards being prited are from Eighth Edition to Shards of Alara. Last I checked, that doesn't include Zendikar block or anything currently in standard.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 11:39:42 am »

Investment implies risk. You bought cardboard, not US treasury bonds. You're in no way entitled to price stability.

Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 12:18:33 pm »

Investment implies risk. You bought cardboard, not US treasury bonds. You're in no way entitled to price stability.
No cavern of souls only oing to alarm block. O banned cards so no jace tms.

Drk conduct, mutavult, thought seize, and vendilkon clique are my locks for making it.

They said the draft ill be storm vs fairies vs something else

mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:05 pm »

Drk conduct, mutavult, thought seize, and vendilon clique are my locks for making it.

Unless I am mistakenn, they already confirmed Clique is being reprinted.

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

And Mike, part of the announcement was that any cards banned in Modern would not be reprinted. So there is zero chance of Jace being reprinted. Also, there is zero chance of the fetchlands or Emrakul being reprinted as all cards being prited are from Eighth Edition to Shards of Alara. Last I checked, that doesn't include Zendikar block or anything currently in standard.

My mistake, I read quickly and didn't notice those little details. RTF...Article. Anyways, revised list:
Dark Confidant
Aether Vial
Sword of Fire and Ice
Crucible of Worlds
Engineered Explosives
Damnation
Pact of Negation
Thoughtseize
Mutavault
Vendilion Clique
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Noble Hierarch

I haven't seen anything about it. Source?

MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:02 pm »

I guess we'll see what limited run means......I will be buying a case cause its so cool

Don't you own/work at a store in Brighton, Cheese?  If so, save one for me Wink

vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »

It's a whole draft format so I don't see how the run can be that limited.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

Drk conduct, mutavult, thought seize, and vendilon clique are my locks for making it.

The only card that has been confirmed is Tarmogoyf.  It's been strongly hinted that City of Brass will be in the set too.  But as for Clique, there's been no official word one way or the other.

Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:18:53 pm »

Must be a different cheese. This cheese is a ISP officer in Camden, nj. I use nick coss for my mtg needs! Smile

ELD
Full Members
Basic User

Eric Dupuis

ericeld1980
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:24 am »

Simply put, the copyright is not indefinite and at some point, I can start printing Black Lotuses with no fear of repercussion.

Fraud laws would apply if you are printing something identical and trying to pass it off as original.  Hasbro is unlikely to let the Trademark expire, so you won't be legally allowed to reproduce the brand logo and name. 

unrestrict: Freedom
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: