TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2019, 06:02:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gatecrash  (Read 3935 times)
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:46 pm »

New spoiler! Not much yet, but let's see what we have so far:

Aurelia, the Warleader
   2rrww
Legendary Creature - Angel    Mythic Rare
Flying, vigilance, haste
Whenever Aurelia, the Warleader attacks for the first time each turn, untap all creatures you control. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
Where Razia was aloof and untouchable, Aurelia is on the frontlines, calling for war.
Illus. Slawomir Maniak #143/249   3/4

Not a beast, and perhaps only situationly good, but she does hit for 6 vigilance on the turn you play her, which is decent, and can hit for a lot more if you have other beaters. Most probably good enough.

Treasury Thrull
   4wb
Creature - Thrull    Rare
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell you may pay {WB}, if you do each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)

Whenever Treasury Thrull attacks, you may return target artifact, creature, or enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
Illus. Mark Zug #201/249   4/4

This seems a bit weak, but I'm sure it will have a great impact on the board. It will be easy to hit everyone for 1-2 damage and gain 3-6 life. The attacking trigger is also pretty good if it does have a chance to live to your next turn. It's well balanced, not a must-counter, but it's something people will want off the table ASAP still.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:34 am »

Absolutely going to be playing this guy!

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind     {U} {U} {B} {B}
Creature- Shapeshifter
Hexproof
Whenever a creature card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, you may have Lazav, Dimir Mastermind become a copy of that card except it's name is still Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, it's legendary in addition to it's other types, and it gains hexproof and this ability.
3/3

Creatures die a lot in my stack, and the fact that even things like countermagic trigger this guy just makes him al the better.  Infact he's even pretty good with:

Skarrg Goliath   {6} {G} {G}
Creature- Beast
Trample
Bloodrush - 5{G}{G}, Discard Skarrg Goliath: Target attacking creature gets +9/+9 and gains trample until end of turn.
9/9

Solid combat trick for stacks looking for that sort of thing.  Not sure if this will quite cut it in mine, but a definite inclusion for a newer stack.

Hellkite Tyrant   {4} {R} {R}
Creature- Dragon
Flying, trample
Whenever Hellkite Tyrant deals combat damage to a player, gain control of all artifacts that player controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control twenty or more artifacts, you win the game.
6/6

Another iffy one, just because he needs to connect to have an effect, but man is it a good one.  I will likely end up giving him a try as I have a minor dragon subtheme with Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Imperial Hellkite in my stack. 

Deathpact Angel   {3} {W} {B} {B}
Creature- Angel
Flying
When Deathpact Angel dies, put a 1/1 white and black Cleric creature token onto the battlefield. It has "3{W}{B}{B}, {T}, Sacrifice this creature: Return a card named Deathpact Angel from your graveyard to the battlefield."
5/5

Probably the weakest inclusion here, since it's just a weaker Sengir Nosferateu (and that didn't even get to stay in my stack), but I'm just a sucker for weird token producers and I want to at least try and see if this one works out better.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:08:55 am »

Mystic Genesis  {2} {G} {U} {U}
Instant (R)
Counter target spell. Put an X/X green Ooze creature token onto the battlefield, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:38:42 pm »

Not as good as Draining Whelk, but getting a random 6-10 power ground-pounder is still solid. That's the only card I'd include so far  Sad.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:21:08 pm »

Love this one and am going to need one for my stack as well as a couple of EDH decks:

Stolen Identity          {4} {U} {U}
Sorcery
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature or artifact.
Cipher

Depending on how often creatures get though in your stack, this can be like a better version of Phyrexian Metamorph (which sees play in mine).  Yes it turns whatever creature it is encoded onto a target, but if it even gets through once, that's pretty solid.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:27 am »

Stolen Identity should replace a standard Clone if you still have it in your stack, IMHO.

What about this one :
Name: Diluvian Primordial
Cost: 5{U}{U}
Type: Creature - Avater
Pow/Tgh: 5/5
Rules Text: Flying
When Diluvian Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, you may cast up to one target instant or sorcery card from that player's graveyard without paying its mana cost. If a card cast this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Illus. Stephan Martiniere
Rarity: Rare
Set Number: #33/249

5/5 flying, and offering from one to seven free spells when coming to town and cleaning opponents' graveyards ? Autoinclude, isn't it ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:43:08 am by Farandar » Logged

Killane
Full Members
Basic User

I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

Stolen Identity should replace a standard Clone if you still have it in your stack, IMHO.

What about this one :
Name: Diluvian Primordial
Cost: 5{U}{U}
Type: Creature - Avater
Pow/Tgh: 5/5
Rules Text: Flying
When Diluvian Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, you may cast up to one target instant or sorcery card from that player's graveyard without paying its mana cost. If a card cast this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Set Number: #33/249

5/5 flying, and offering from one to seven free spells when coming to town and cleaning opponents' graveyards ? Autoinclude, isn't it ?

Stolen Identity targets - might be relevant in cases of Hexproof/Shroud.

Primordial seems insane.

DCI Rules Advisor
_____________________________ _____
Are you playing The Game?
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:06 pm »

Lord of the Void  {4} {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Demon (M)
Flying
Whenever Lord of the Void deals combat damage to a player, exile the top seven cards of that player's library, then put a creature card from among them onto the battlefield under your control.
7/7
brokenbacon
Basic User

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »

Lord of the Void  {4} {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Demon (M)
Flying
Whenever Lord of the Void deals combat damage to a player, exile the top seven cards of that player's library, then put a creature card from among them onto the battlefield under your control.
7/7

UHHHH

TEAM TOP DECK INSURRECTION-luck draws...fukin luck draws
Vintage Master of Princeton @ SWC
Fuck your horse and the couch you rode in on
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:41:02 am »

Lord of the Void looks pretty good, as long as he can actually get through.  In my stack, that is a huge if as there is a fair amount of removal.  Still, if I get my hands on one, I definitely try it.  One card I know I'm going to play is:

Sepulchral Primordial      {5} {B} {B}
Creature - Avatar    
Intimidate
When Sepulchral Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, you may put up to one target creature card from that player's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
5/4

Fantastic late game play!  Lets you pick up the best creature from each graveyard and has a decent sized evasive body of its own.  Makes me wanna try this guy too:

Luminate Primordial     {5} {W} {W}
Creature - Avatar    
Vigilance
When Luminate Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, exile up to one target creature that player controls and that player gains life equal to its power.
4/7

Swords on a stick is really solid.  I just worry that the creatures are too big in this format and it will be too much life to be giving all of my opponents.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »

Luminate Primordial     {5} {W} {W}
Creature - Avatar    
Vigilance
When Luminate Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, exile up to one target creature that player controls and that player gains life equal to its power.
4/7

Swords on a stick is really solid.  I just worry that the creatures are too big in this format and it will be too much life to be giving all of my opponents.

I also thought this guy would be pretty good, then I realized he's just a bad Wrath effect that doesn't kill all creatures and give all opponents an extra 5 life. The 4/7 body is irrelevant at that point, you need to connect at least twice after since you gave them extra life.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:04 am »

Lord of the void has the connect condition which is a veto for my own stack. Each turn or CIP triggering are way more efficient.

Black primordial is nice. While the blue one is something almost unheard of, as far as I remember, the black one seems to be an upgrade or a copy of thing already existing. Should do a biit of stack study to confirm this.
White one isn't that good, the drawback is a big con. People may actually want it to resolve in order to buy a few lifepoints.

The red one is another thing :
Name: Molten Primordial
Cost: 5RR
Type: Creature - Avatar
Pow/Tgh: 6/4
Rules Text: Haste
When Molten Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, take control of up to one target creature that player controls until the end of turn. Untap those creatures. They have haste until the end of turn.
Set Number: #101/249

Don't know if it's better than Bringer of the red dawn. Guess it depends on which kind of game you prefer. Primordial is way more aggressive, Bringer is more political (and has an ACC).

Another wrath, a bit more expensive than the standard 4 CCM one, but it's modal.

Name: Merciless Eviction
Cost: 4WB
Type: Sorcery
Rules Text: Choose one - Exile all artifacts; or exile all creatures; or exile all enchantments; or exile all planeswalkers.
Flavor Text: "I once saw the Obzedat moved to action. Since that day, I've been thankful that they're mainly lazy, and dead."
-Aurelia, to Gideon Jura
Illus. Richard Wright

Should be worth a single buck Wink

Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 02:36:08 pm »

Let me just say my little rage rant:

WHY IS EVERY CARD IN THIS SET 4+ MANA TO CAST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doest Wizards just not think about Vintage any more?

Ugh

:end rant:

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 04:11:23 pm »

Let me just say my little rage rant:

WHY IS EVERY CARD IN THIS SET 4+ MANA TO CAST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doest Wizards just not think about Vintage any more?

Ugh

:end rant:

-Storm

Isn't this for Type 4?  There are some low CC playables, though not many.

When there is no wind, row.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »

My wishlist:

Diluvian Primordial
Enter the Infinite
Lord of the Vault
Molten Primordial
Skarrg Goliath
Aurelia, the Warleader
Merciless Eviction
Mystic Genesis
Psychic Strike

Any others?
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »

What vintage possibilities are in this set, now that we've seen the whole thing spoiled.

I see:

Blind Obedience (Might be good in a funky stasis type deck, but good as a white hoser to storm)
Illness in the Ranks (good vs empty the warrens.dec, and a fantastic oath hoser for non-critter black-using decks)
Thrull Parasite (Not a bomb, but in a suicide black deck, I can see this handling many of shop's counter cards and some planeswalkers, while tacking on life swings to duress and company with extra black mana)
Skinbrand Goblin (Might get lackey to survive that 1/x blocker that gets dropped - probably less good than misstep or lightning bolt, but at least you keep them off goblin ringleader later on and it's a castable 2/1)
Slaughterhorn (Okay in infect/stompy, though that deck itself isn't really viable)
Ghor-Clan Rampager ( See above)
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind (This is a stretch, but maybe full-English breakfast can come back.  Hexproof 12/12 trampler or Hexproof Phage seems decent.  Lazav's CC is prohibitive, though)
Nightveil Specter (Time will tell on this guy, but I see him falling into the same playability as Thada Adel)
Pit Fight (Maybe in a tarmogoyf.dec)
Shattering Blow (If welder becomes heavily played again)

So nothing broken, and a few fringe hosers.  I think this set is a Vintage bust overall.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:36 pm »

What vintage possibilities are in this set, now that we've seen the whole thing spoiled.

I see:

Blind Obedience (Might be good in a funky stasis type deck, but good as a white hoser to storm)
Illness in the Ranks (good vs empty the warrens.dec, and a fantastic oath hoser for non-critter black-using decks)
Thrull Parasite (Not a bomb, but in a suicide black deck, I can see this handling many of shop's counter cards and some planeswalkers, while tacking on life swings to duress and company with extra black mana)
Skinbrand Goblin (Might get lackey to survive that 1/x blocker that gets dropped - probably less good than misstep or lightning bolt, but at least you keep them off goblin ringleader later on and it's a castable 2/1)
Slaughterhorn (Okay in infect/stompy, though that deck itself isn't really viable)
Ghor-Clan Rampager ( See above)
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind (This is a stretch, but maybe full-English breakfast can come back.  Hexproof 12/12 trampler or Hexproof Phage seems decent.  Lazav's CC is prohibitive, though)
Nightveil Specter (Time will tell on this guy, but I see him falling into the same playability as Thada Adel)
Pit Fight (Maybe in a tarmogoyf.dec)
Shattering Blow (If welder becomes heavily played again)

So nothing broken, and a few fringe hosers.  I think this set is a Vintage bust overall.

WhiteDragon, why do you insist coming here and talk about Vintage in the TYPE 4 forum? Far from the first time.
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 10:16:28 pm »

Oh.  Ha!  Didn't realize this was a Type 4 only forum.  My bad!

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »

There's a couple more here that I saw:

Scatter Arc (3U)
Instant

Counter target noncreature spell.
Draw a card.

Card draw counter magic is the premium stuff.  Noncreature thing is not that big of a deal.

Wrecking Ogre 4R

Creature - Ogre Warrior

Double Strike
 Bloodrush — 3RR, Discard Wrecking Ogre: Target attacking creature gets +3/+3 and gains double strike until end of turn.

Free, mostly uncounterable +3/+3 Doublestrike is pretty decent.  Somethings that I wouldnt normally want get better when they're free or uncounterable, so adding both adds a lot of value here. 

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: