TheManaDrain.com
August 04, 2020, 09:12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SCD] Gremlin Mine  (Read 1734 times)
MTGFan
Basic User

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »

I was looking through magiccards.info for Trinket Mage targets and found this card.

This looks like the perfect anti-Shop SB card in a deck that plays Trinket Mage. It handles Lodestone, Metalworker, Tangle Wire, Revoker, and Factories.

It might not be as good as Steel Sabotage, but it has some advantages in that it can be fetched by Mage, as mentioned above, and it can be played proactively, and it can also be played with off-color Moxen and other non-blue sources. Additionally, it gets past Lodestone's tax.

It seems to me that Trinket Mage has the potential to be very powerful in this format (fetching Grafdiggers Cage, Black Lotus, Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt, this, AEther SpellBomb, Brittle Effigy) and more decks should consider playing him and stuff like Gremlin Mine in the sideboard.

Thoughts on this card as a SB option for Trinket Mage decks?

TVand
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:16 pm »

Unfortunately this card doesn't deal with Tangle Wire, as Wire uses fade counters rather than charge counters.  Still, a Trinket Mageable proactive way to kill most of shops' creatures is appealing.

"They say that if you're crazy it makes you sane and, if you're sane, you'll never believe a word of this story."
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »

It sadly doesn't work on Smokestack either.

Are there any played artifacts that actually use charge counters?

Still, a nice find, it could certainly have a spot in Trinket lists. It also kills Karn for the few lists that still use it.
credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »

Engineered explosives, ratchet bomb, aether vial, chalice of the void, and jitte are a few.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:12:22 pm by credmond » Logged
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:52:06 pm »

4 Damage fetchable to a lodestone seems like enough to justify playing this as a 1 of in the side for proper lists, charge counters are just a bonus at that point.

Sadly though, does not take out forgemaster, revoker naming it, wurmcoil, steel hellkite, or some number of other shop targets. So it may just be too narrow period.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
MTGFan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:36 pm »

4 Damage fetchable to a lodestone seems like enough to justify playing this as a 1 of in the side for proper lists, charge counters are just a bonus at that point.

Sadly though, does not take out forgemaster, revoker naming it, wurmcoil, steel hellkite, or some number of other shop targets. So it may just be too narrow period.

Forgemaser evading this is definitely a big blow, but in lists that are playing 4 Trinket Mage, assuredly they are playing at least 1 Pithing Needle as well, and probably more in the sideboard, so having the option of fetching Pithing Needle (for Forgemaster) and Gremlin Mine (for Lodestone and Metalworker) gives you the utmost flexibliity for the Shop matchup.

I'd play 1 Pithing Needle maindeck (in the 4 Trinket Mage list), 1-2 Gremlin Mine in the sideboard, and say, 2-3 more Pithing Needle in the sideboard. Postboard vs. shops you could then have 3-4 Pithing Needles, 1-2 Gremlin Mines, and whatever other artifact hate you have.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: