TheManaDrain.com
September 18, 2020, 08:03:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Deck  (Read 2480 times)
rzel
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:10 pm »

I have been messing with a high pressure black beatdown idea. Now that black has some new draw options beyond Necropotence and Dark Confident, as well as an added arsenal of  BIG fast drop creatures,  I think we can develop a deck to apply enough pressure and disruption to be effective.

I have been playing some games but not near enough to write up a top notch list. Here is a basic shell of what I have been working on. I have not done anything with the land base and I am open for suggestions on that too.

4 Phyrexian Obliterator
4 Ashenmoor Gouger
4 Gravecrawler
4 Phyrexian Negator
4 Thoughtseize/Duress
4 Dark Ritual
4 Sinkhole
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sign in Blood
4 Night's Whisper
1 Mox Jet
1 Black Lotus
13 Swamp
4 Wasteland
1 Strip mine

Again, it needs some work and a sideboard. As it sits now, I don't think it is going to be extremely competitive beyond a rogue deck that nobody is prepared to play. Besides trashing the whole idea, are there any suggestions you have to make this thing a better beatdown for today’s meta?

I tried Dark Confidant and it was not good, Bob is a good card but not in this deck. I tried Fulminator Mage and I think it is a possible addition or sideboard option. Moriok Rigger is good with MUD and Stax. Ogre Marauder for the other aggro decks. It may need some other creature removal. Let me know what you think of my build and what would you add/take out and why.

Thanks!

p.s. I would hyperlink the deck but I haven't figured it out yet.  Wink
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:45 am »

Dark confidant would be the best card in the deck, don't doubt it. deathrite shaman should also be here 4x. The deck would probably need 8x duress/tgz effects. Necropotence is highly advised. Liliana is great if you can take profit for it

Obliterator is a beast, but gouger is quite weak for vintage. I can't think right now about great aggro black creatures for a low cost.

If I had to play monoblack i'd go

-Dark times. look the post in this forum. Combo deck quite disrupting.
-Black rogues deck. I love earwig squad, and there are nice cards like bitterblossom, oona's blackguard... high discard effects with a kind weak tribal creature core.
-Something around liliana, skullclamp, bitterblossom, bloodghast... more controlling thanks to CA
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »

Mana denial is not very strong in this list. You are not shutting down moxes and sinkhole is not great against a field full of fetches.

I would cut the sinkholes for sure, they are not doing enough.

I also dont think 8 draw spells works. You want to draw cards when you run out of threats, and if you run out of threats your in trouble. Instead you need to maybe run some removal because you simply do not have enough to punch though a lot of lists.

Have you considered Gelrafs Messenger for creatures. Provides reach against creature walls and is resilient to bounce and non exile removal. Plus as a zombie it brings back your gravecrawlers. If you can swap out your creature base a little and run more zombies you can also get Cavern of souls in the list which will help fight blue decks.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »

I agree. Cut Obliterator, Negator, Sinkhole, Gougers and add Messengers, Bloodghasts, Confidants, Skullclamps and other versatile cards like Withered Wretch. Skullclamp is a nice draw engine with Bloodghasts and Gravecrawler.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32:24 pm »

What about something like this?

Artifact:
1 Sol Ring
2 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Null Rod
1 Mox Jet
1 Black Lotus
4 Phyrexian Revoker
Creatures/Walkers:
2 Bloodghast
2 Braids, Cabal Minion
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Gravecrawler
2 Phylactery Lich
4 Phyrexian Obliterator
2 Liliana of the Veil
Enchantment:
2 Bitterblossom
1 Necropotence
Instants/Sorceries:
4 Duress
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Hero's Downfall
Land:
1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland
6 Swamp

I think at least Braids is worth a shot with all the possibly recursive creatures and with this amount of artifacts Phylactery Lich might work too.
I'm not sure I have enough lands here but I just kind of threw this together as a possibility.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:04:27 pm by Lurker101 » Logged
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »

Grafdiggers cage stops your gravecrawlers and ghasts from returning. I personally would go with 4 ghasts 4 crawlers and try Avatar of Discord. With all that draw or bobs and the 8 recursion dudes it could work well. I also would drop obliterator, keep all my Cc 3 orbelow, and try 1-3 Unearth.  Also I would run Dismember over heros fall and definitely run demonic consultation.  And definitely run more lands, like 5 swamps, 6 fetches, and 5 strips.  You need fetches for dr. Shaman and ghast recursion. Replace phy lich with 2 geralfs messenger. With Unearth, geralf can be quite bothersome and deadly.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »

Yeah I realized my mistake about cage right after I posted that list. Just came back to fix that. I've always liked unearth. I put Hero's Downfall in as an anti Jace measure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: