TheManaDrain.com
February 19, 2020, 07:14:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [COMM] From the Ashes  (Read 1540 times)
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:59:31 am »

From the Ashes   3r
Sorcery    Rare
Destroy all nonbasic lands. For each land destroyed this way, its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
Illus. Karl Kopinski   

Overlapping Blood moon? Feels worse unless you are playing spheres, and against decks without basics. It would definitely worth testing in a RW deck, with Leonin arbiter and/or aven mindcensor (Stranglehold also works but feels inferior to cage and usually does not get a spot even in sb, when playing monored)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:24:54 am »

Worse than Ruination.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:49 am »

Oh, crap, of course. I just thought about asymmetric advantages (in mono red I play half basics-half non-basics) and forgot that most of the time you don't want to give any land to opponents, even if you are losing some lands in the process...
Phele
Basic User

Tom Bombadil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50:57 am »

Worse than Ruination.

Wouldn't say so, it's different. As long as you play some bunch of Basics you can play this without any risk against complete nonbasic decks. I am not saying, that it is good, but it offers other options than Ruination.

Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow; Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

Free Illusionary Mask!!
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:06 am »

the only way this is not worse than ruination is if you are playing flagstones of trokair. 

But this card really doesn't do much.  It's rather obnoxious for a mono-red commander deck, outside of that, yawn. 
sylverfyre
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »

Ruination doesn't untap your own lands when you pay for it with nonbasics.  The overlap with blood moon is the real problem, though you can still blow up their nonbasic "mountains" under a blood moon with this.

That and the fact that the deck you're generally happiest to use it against is Shops, and good luck pulling off the 4 mana 7 mana  required to play this against them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:15:38 pm by sylverfyre » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: