TheManaDrain.com
October 19, 2019, 04:54:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Report 15-Proxy Vintage 27/7/2014  (Read 601 times)
Bosaapje
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:24 am »

List:

4 Workshop
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
3 Mishra's Factory
2 City of Traitors
1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy

4 Lodestone Golem
2 Karn, Silver Golem
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
3 Phyrexian Revoker

5 Mox
1 Mana Crypt
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Trinisphere
4 Sphere of Resistance
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Smokestack
4 Tangle Wire
2 Staff of Nin
4 Chalice of the Void

Side:

4 Grafdiggers Cage
3 Witchbane Orb
2 Maze of Ith
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Razormane Masticore
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Phyrexian Revoker

Match 1:
Mono Green Stompy
Game 1:

I already knew this player and his deck. Only thing my deck had to do was to drop a Chalice at one or resolve a Sphere effect. We roll the dice and it rolled in his favor. I kept a hand with 2 Workshops, 1 Trinisphere, 1 Sphere of Resistance, 1 Phyrexian Metamorph and 2 more lands. This was a keep because the game would be mine if. I dropped the Trinisphere. He opened with a Land Grant and a Root Maze so that I would be slowed down. He shipped the turn and I dropped my Mishra's Workshop. He then played a land and a Scavenging Ooze. I dropped a Trinisphere and shipped. There were a few turns of kicking with his Ooze and dropping Forest. I put down a few spheres and did not too much. He then played a Hidden Guerillas and shipped the turn. I had to play a creature now so because I would be kicked to death by his Scavenging Ooze so I played a Phyrexian Revoker. His Hidden Guerillas became a 5/3 beater and I had to copy it with my Phyrexian Metamorph. It came tapped into play because of the Root Maze so I had only two turns left. I passed the turn, he kicked with his creatures and shipped it. I played a land and passed. He then played Rancor and I died because of the extra power that Rancor generated. Shit, I had to win this matchup.

Game 2:
Sideboard:
In:
- 2 Maze of Ith
- 2 Ratchet Bomb
- 2 Wurmcoil Engine

Out:
- 2 Karn, Silver Golem (too slow and Wurmcoil is better)
- 3 Crucible of Worlds (he is playing 9 basic Forests)
- 1 Smokestack (just slow)

We both kept our first hand, I did it because I saw a Mishra's Workshop and a Chalice of the Void. This was a keeper. I dropped Chalice at one and that was game. I also dropped a few Sphere effects and locked him out of te game. This might work out alright now!

Game 3:
Same sideboard, same plan. I kept a 6 card hand with a turn one Chalice of the Void. I dropped a few Spheres and a Lodestone Golem and that was game. Succes! Let's go to round two.

Round 2:
Belcher
Game 1:

I knew that I had to play against combo beforehand because I saw him playing round one. I also knew Belcher was an easy to disrupt deck if you play spheres so I would be in a good place. We rolled and I won the dice roll. I kept a hand with a Mox, Ancient Tomb, Mishra's Factory, P. Revoker, Lodestone Golem and double Chalice. This was a perfect hand against him. I opened with Mox, Tomb and drop double Chalice ot zero and one. He wouldn't have fast mana and all his rituals and cantrips were shutdown. He played Land Grant and showed his hand. He had kept a hand with Windfall, Vampiric Tutor, Burning Wish, Manamorphose, Rite of Flame, Yawgmoth's Will and Black Lotus.He then played the land and said go. I dropped a Revoker at Belcher and said go. He couldn't do much and the game was over when I dropped a Lodestone Golem.

Game 2:
Sideboard
In:
1 Phyrexian Revoker (obvious against his wincons)
3 Witchbane Orb (obvious against his Belcher)

Out:
2 Karn, Silver Golem (too slow)
2 Crucible of Worlds (too slow)

I keep a hand with enough mana, Chalice of the Void, a sphere effect and Phyrexian Metamorph. He starts and drops Lion's Eye Diamond and Black Lotus. He then ships the turn and I drew a Phyrexian Revoker. I drop the Chalice at one and the Revoker at Belcher. With a Sphere-effect and a Smokestack few turns later he scoops. 2-0! I made a slight mistake tho which I notice now while I'm writing this report. I also had to board 2 Ratchet Bombs against his Empty the Warrens tokens. Bit of a misplay but it turned out all right for me.

Round 3:
Storm with Bazaars
Game 1:

This was going to be another combo game. He played a wacky storm combo deck with 3 Bazaar of Baghdads. We talk a bit because we've seen each other before on other tournaments a few years earlier. We roll and I may begin. I kept a hand with a Workshop, a few mana artifacts, Tangle Wire, a Sphere and a Wasteland. This hand seems alright. I drop the Sphere and said go. He dropped a land and it was my turn. I then wasted his land and we did not much for a few turns. Then the action came back when I drew a Lodestone Golem. I dropped the Golem and the Tangle Wire in the same turn. I kept tapping his permanents with a Phyrexian Metamorph that copied my Tangle Wire. He died soon after.

Game 2:
Sideboard:
In:
3 Witchbane Orb (against Hurkyll's Recall and Tendrils)
1 Phyrexian Revoker (enough targets to hit)

Out:
2 Karn, Silver Golem (a tad slow)
1 Crucible (it's good but also a bit slow)
1 Phyrexian Metamorph (while it was good, I didn't think it's was better than the cards I had to board. Don't know if this was the right call)

He began and dropped a land, Mana Cryt, Black Lotus and Duress turn one. He saw a Wasteland, Sol Ring, double Chalice, Phyrexian Revoker, Witchbane Orb and a Sphere of Resistance. He chose the Sphere and said go. I was glad he didn't said Sol Ring because this was a tricky hand. I drop the Wasteland, Sol Ring and Chalice at zero. I dropped the Revoker at Black Lotus and said go. He then dropped a Bazaar and started with digging for answers against my deck. I drew another land and played the Chalice at 1 and another Revoker at Necropotence. I then started kicking him down. Next turn he didn't do much and I drew Tangle Wire. This sealed the deal and it was game.

Round 4:
ANT

We both choosed to do an intentional draw and I went to get some food. I would have had to play against ANT so I wasn't really afraid of playing but it's always better to do an I.D. than playing and risking I would lose. I'm at 3-0-1 now and feeling confident about the top 4. There was atleast one combo player and another Shop player but I had Wurmcoil Engines in my sideboard where he didn't have them so I felt good if I got paired against Shops.

Round 5 (Top 4):
Mirror
Game 1:

I did get paired against Shops. We rolled and he won. He then opened with Metalworker and albeit I did have a good hand I didnít win. If only I had Revokers so that I could stop his Metalworker but no, I didnít have them. He then started to drop threats faster than I could handle and I died after a few turns of blocking with Mishra's Factories. This really sucked for me because I didn't want to get kicked out of the top 4.

Game 2:
Sideboard:
In:
2 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Maze of Ith
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Razormane Masticore

Out:
1 Trinisphere (he runs Workshops as well)
4 Chalice of the Void (he runs then as well, Iím on the draw and I canít drop them turn 1, are not as good as in other match ups)
1 Smokestack (he plays them as well so 8 Stacks are a bit much)

My memory is getting a bit hazy after 5 rounds of playing so I donít know my hand that I kept. We do a few turns not much interesting. Then a Smokestack enters play. He turns it up to 2 and he forces me to sacrifice enough permanents to leave me with only mana. He then drops a Razormane Masticore and I answer that with a Phyerxian Metamorph. He had to sacrifice his own Smokestack because he would be locked out of the game otherwise. We both have creatures now and he started attacking me. I kick him back because I have a Tangle Wire and he didnít have that much permanents. I lock him out of the game with another Tangle Wire and I kick him to 0 with the Masticore.

Game 3:
I left the sideboard the same. He plays a Metalworker and I drop a Phyrexian Revoker naming Metalworker. This turns out pretty okay because he had a mana light hand and I take the board over pretty quickly. I drop a Smokestack and this is too much for him. A few turns later he died with not much permanents on the board and not much life left either. And with that I entered the finals.

Round 6 (Finales):
Bomberman
Game 1:

I heard other players saying that he was playing Bomberman. This was going to be the first (and only) blue based control deck that I would encounter that day. I kept a hand that had mana, a Revoker, a Chalice and a Smokestack. It was an okay hand. I had won the dice roll and dropped a Mox, Chalice and the Revoker. Revoker resolved and I named Jace, the Mindsculptor. This because I didnít expect he would have the whole Auriok Salvagers combo in hand and I was more afraid of Jace which could get all the pieces for him. He then dropped 3 Moxes, a land, a Trinket Mage which fetched Black Lotus and he played the Auriok Salvagers. Well, that went wrong.. Thankfully he didnít have any white mana so he still didnít have infinite mana. I dropped Karn and Strip Mined his land. We didnít do much the next turns, I only ate his Moxes and left him with two creatures on the board. A few turns later I resolved a Lodestone Golem and I took game 1.

Game 2:
Sideboard:

In:
2 Wurmcoil Engine (big and bad ass)
1 Revoker (for Jace and Auriok Salvagers)

Out:
2 Phyrexian Metamorph (not as good as the cards that Iím boarding)
1 Karn, Silver Golem (not really usefull, he could go infinite before I could turn his Lotus into a creature)

It didnít go very good for him and my deck did what I had to do. I wrecked his board with the Wasteland + Crucible of Worlds lock and Smokestack. Then I tried to resolve a Tangle Wire which got countered. This was fine by me because I could now play my Wurmcoil Engine next turn. He didnít have any counters and with that card I won the tournament!

I was really happy with the way my deck worked. I only had a few iffy hands and I felt that I played most things correctly. I wasnít too quick with playing my threats but wasnít too slow and I fell in love with Shops again. There were a few cards in the deck like Staff of Nin which I played in these games but I donít know anymore when I played them so I didnít write about it in the report. I got 70$ of prize money and with that I bought a foil old layout Crucible of Worlds promo. I want to get a playset of them so this is a good start. I still have some store credit left but I donít know what Iíll buy with that, Iíll see.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: