TheManaDrain.com
December 11, 2019, 08:03:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commander 2014  (Read 1510 times)
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:24:45 am »

Announcement article here: link.  They will be released on November 7th, 2014.

Five mono-color decks.  Each includes an all new mono-color planeswalker that can be used as a commander.  The blue 'walker, Teferi, is revealed in the announcement; it is not Vintage playable.

Continuing the trend, there will be some cards in this release that are legal for (non-Modern) Eternal play, but are not suitable for release in a Standard-legal set, "There will be 61 new cards legal in eternal formats (Vintage and Legacy) but not legal in Standard, Block Constructed, or Modern, with 15 new cards in each deck."  Some standout cards from previous releases have been Flusterstorm, Scavenging Ooze, Shardless Agent/Baleful Strix (maybe one/both of these were in a Planechase product first?), and True-Name Nemesis.

There's the potential for a few Vintage playables, or reprints, to make it into these sets.

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:15 am »

snip... The blue 'walker, Teferi, is revealed in the announcement; it is not Vintage playable. ...snip

Challenge accepted.

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:44 am »

Good luck with that.  What is it that Kevin said during the last SMIP podcast?   In the Vintage parking lot, the stall for six drops has a sign that says, "Yawgmoth's Bargain Parking Only?"

Yeah, no one is gonna play a six drop Walker that doesn't win immediately.  Even then, probably not.

Heck, would you play this?

Win  4UU
Sorcery
You win the game.
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:05:59 am »

Good luck with that.  What is it that Kevin said during the last SMIP podcast?   In the Vintage parking lot, the stall for six drops has a sign that says, "Yawgmoth's Bargain Parking Only?"

Yeah, no one is gonna play a six drop Walker that doesn't win immediately.  Even then, probably not.

Heck, would you play this?

Win  4UU
Sorcery
You win the game.

1) Yes I would definitely play that card. I will also play Teferi. Enjoy the results posted later on.

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:22:06 am »

I mean, I suppose it's Vintage playable in the same sense Evermind is... i.e. it can be pitched to Force of Will.

But seriously, I would be overjoyed to be proven wrong, and I would be happy to be paired against you in the meantime as you try to prove it.

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:57 am »

It's kind of a two drop considering you get to untap four things with it's -1. Still, I'd rather not pay six.

Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:35 am »

Guess it depends which four permanents you're untapping. Candelabra of Tawnos and the Urzatron? Sounds like a band I don't mind not seeing.

Anyway, I know this isn't an EDH board, but I am not terribly certain that the new planeswalkers with command zone compatibility will matter a damn. Walkers are so easily to just roll over without taking special precautions; most playable critters start around 5/5 or 6/6 with abilities to spare, so the new Teferi is basically 6 mana for either Sleight of Mind or Turnabout, and then someone's Karthaas or whatever will just eat it for breakfast.

So, functionally, whether this was the intent or not, I think these cards will just express themselves as Sorceries that also happen to be castable from the command zone under most circumstances.

I'm not sure I like the notion that Wizards is tinkering with one of the core concepts of EDH, if for no other reason than it isn't expressly their format to muck about with. I also know (or at least, I *think* I know) that they don't print anything without input from Sheldon Menery et al, so it must have at least a partial blessing from On High. And it isn't a total flavor miss; planeswalkers are unique entities in the Multiverse, it does sort of make sense that they'd have a personal army to do their bidding. It's just that planeswalkers are such a shoehorned-in card type already, and so now there are these five (for now...) super-special ones that get to play Commander, and they aren't quite subject to the same set of rules as the rest of the commanders one could play (no commander damage, no synergy with toys like Opal Palace, and so on).

So without any actual experience playing across from them yet, I dare say that it will prove to be a fairly weak inclusion to EDH and mostly just leave people wondering why they bothered making an exception for all of 5 planeswalkers.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:34 am »

Can you imagine Tez, Lili of the Veil or Jace, TMS as a commander? The planeswalker commanders had to be specially designed to avoid enormous power level problems. Tez would be particularly egregious: just keep using his -X to fetch out ramp artifacts to keep paying the increasing commander tax. Once the board is cluttered up, Time Warp and use his -5 to overrun.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:47 am »

Can you imagine Reshape, Chainer's Edict or Brainstorm as a commander?

Yeah, I reckon I can. Sad

I'm all about engine decks in EDH, don't misunderstand me; my favorite deck right now is Ghost Council of Orzhova and I found Oloro immediately intriguing, IMHO the most elegant design of any of the "command zone matters" generals from the last Commander set. Honestly, as much as people tend to decry "templating" as creativity, if they'd all followed the "passive ability works everywhere, active ability works in play" format, I think the whole set would have incurred a bit less of the nerd rage than it did (TNN aside, bleh). I mean, three of those commanders pretty much turn Food Chain into a one-card combo and the other one is fscking Jeleva, AKA "Oona for everyone at once".

So, for what I think they were trying to do, I don't necessarily dislike the idea of planeswalkers as commanders. But it's just one of those things where I don't think the execution is as well-done as it could have been, and at the end of the day these planeswalkommanders will just be forgettable as giant Eldrazi-sized dollar rares come and put an antler up their butts.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:48 am »

Yeah, I reckon I can. Sad
Tez is better than Reshape in the context of Commander. Play a bunch of artifact acceleration, get out Tez with it, search out Winter Orb. Search out Spheres and mana rocks while replaying your general until you use his ultimate to overrun the board.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »

Yeah, I reckon I can. :(
Tez is better than Reshape in the context of Commander. Play a bunch of artifact acceleration, get out Tez with it, search out Winter Orb. Search out Spheres and mana rocks while replaying your general until you use his ultimate to overrun the board.

,':/

Wull sure yeah, but you get what I'm saying.

edit - also that is a good argument against such shenanigans, but to be fair it would be "as bad" on a legendary creature. but again - it's really not about power level, just the odd execution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: