TheManaDrain.com
March 28, 2020, 09:53:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Online Power Nine Owners  (Read 47360 times)
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:28 pm »

I agree with Enderfall - Goatbots is what I use. Problem is that the prices are based on supply and demand. I remember playing in the two-mans for M15 packs worth 2.5 tix (Wager $2.00 to win $0.50). The difference is buy/sell prices is normally really low (~ $0.10) so it doesn't make sense to try to sell them individually to actual people.

I recommend checking magicev.com to decide whether it's worth it to jump into a 2 man. At least late at night, I find that the competition in the tournament practice room is almost always as good as in the two man queue, without having to light tickets on fire.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
sirgog
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:51 pm »

I bought in on my payday in September. Bought power, 4x FoW, 4x Mana Drain, 4x Bazaar, 4x Workshop, and basically everything else except Hurkyl's Recall, Wasteland and some archetype staples.

With hindsight I'd have delayed the purchase, but still would have made it.

I paid about USD 700 for my power and it's now closer to USD 540, but due to Australian dollar value changes, I've been a little insulated from that loss (I paid around AUD 750 and it's now about to AUD 650).

Wasteland I'm holding off on.
Piggyboy1
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:56 am »

I bought in on power, forces, drains and most of the blue cards when lotus was 300. I have had a ball playing the format and after spending like 2k on it all. I have no regrets at all. It was very worthwhile and being able to play vintage anytime is just the best thing ever
jcb193
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »

Wow, I thought we hit new lows, and now a ton of vintage stuff is down another 10%. Are they still "printing" this stuff?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »

Are you surprised that power prices are falling? Daily events don't fire. The 8-man queues don't fire either. The best you can hope for are the negative-EV two-man queues.

I know Wizards said that there will be something on the horizon for Vintage. But given that they've bold-face lied about scheduling for Vintage-related stuff before on MODO, I don't have much faith in them.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2014, 03:09:06 pm »

For those of us not in the know, what does the pricing look like for power nine on MODO at the moment?

"I’ll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
V is for Vintage
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »

I usually check prices on mtgotraders.com . That's the site I used to buy in since you don't have to worry about paying with tix. Seems to be a pretty accurate guide for pricing

Team Blowout Train
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:41 pm »

For those of us not in the know, what does the pricing look like for power nine on MODO at the moment?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/prices/online/vintage

MTGOTraders price is on each card's page, as is prices from other sources.  You can even see full deck pricing from the drop down at the top.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
dragzz
Basic User

=P

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »

A quick check on mtggolfish.
Pearl 35
Emerald 35
Walk 50
AR 70
Ruby 45
Jet 55
Sapphire 80
Lotus 170

And they are slowly declining. I too have been trying to join the daily events and they always fail to fire. There was one that fired on the 18th and on the 26th.

On a happier note - there is a Bad Moon Rising event again on November 6.

I still plan to keep my power for now - I'm hoping that the lower prices would attract new players and hopefully the dailies would start firing again!

mtgo: genpex
Coopes
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »

I'm fairly certain the "special/exciting" announcement is that VMA is coming back bc they are drafting it at Worlds this year. Almost 100% on it.
StrongSide
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »

I'm really debating on buying in. I don't have much time to play during the week and I like going to events but having a girlfriend that limits my play. I am just trying to play more vintage and test more ideas. I really wanna wait to see how low this power can go tho because I don't have much disposable income
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:53 am »

I'm really debating on buying in. I don't have much time to play during the week and I like going to events but having a girlfriend that limits my play. I am just trying to play more vintage and test more ideas. I really wanna wait to see how low this power can go tho because I don't have much disposable income

No one can accurately predict whether Power will go up or down from today's prices because there are a lot of factors involved; will Vintage get more popular? Are there going to be reprints (I doubt there will be reprints for at least 1-2 years, for what it's worth)? Will MTGO ever get better? Etc.

However, if there is any chance that Vintage gets any sort of exciting offerings to make it more attractive to play on MTGO, you will never see prices this low for a LONG time (basically, only if there is a massive reprint). In fact, if the "exciting announcement" that WotC promised this past week is anything other than VMA returning for a couple weeks (so that the pro's ca test for World Champs), I would not be surprised if speculators rush to grab as much Power as they can buy. That's kind of the way MTGO works though. Bitterblossom (though it's price was rising before the unbanning in Modern) was basically sold out within 5 minutes of the official announcement. This is typical for every card that is guaranteed to increase in price resulting from any sort of announcement. It's infinitely easier to speculate on MTGO than it is in paper.

Nonetheless, to hedge your bet, I'd buy as much as you can afford right now if you are actually interested in playing more Vintage during your free time, and I'd start with Lotus as that will see the sharpest increase from speculators.

EDIT: Also, I believe that the upcoming Leagues on MTGO will help Vintage quite a bit, but we aren't supposed to get an update on their status until probably the end of November. An ETA for launching of Leagues will probably be in early-mid 2015. They promised by end of 2014, but they rarely deliver things on time...
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »

I'm fairly certain the "special/exciting" announcement is that VMA is coming back bc they are drafting it at Worlds this year. Almost 100% on it.

VMA drafts are back at their old cost and prize structure from 19 Nov until 10 December. No change to payout on vintage two mans, though.

edit: Forgot my source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-november-4-2014

Bringing back VMA could increase popularity and therefore prices OR increase supply with the same demand reducing pricing. Consider which you think will be the case when making your decision.

enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2014, 05:18:00 pm »

Looks like you were right. They simply have no idea what "exciting" really is I suppose. Sigh.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

If I've learned anything from buying into Vintage on MODO, it's that Wizards is not above lying regarding their timetables for VMA drafts. I'd take their announcements with a grain of salt.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Coopes
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »

Yep, figured as much. More VMA in the system is sure to increase the Vintage player base/daily results right guys! -.-

In Worth's eyes VMA = Vintage, Vintage = VMA. They have misspoke quite a bit, flip flopping the words. Meh, color me severely unimpressed by VMA coming back.
Chill79
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:46 am »

If you haven't got your set yet,NOW is good time to buy in (mtgotraders prices at now):

Ancestral Recall    VMA    $46.73    
Black Lotus    VMA    $169.72
Mox Emerald    VMA    $32.44
Mox Jet            VMA    $37.75
Mox Pearl     VMA    $34.54
Mox Ruby            VMA    $34.99
Mox Sapphire    VMA    $58.36
Time Walk    VMA    $33.15

All together less then 450$...

-Jyri-

Collecting Pygmy Razorbacks: 446 total(17*AP,47*Foil,382regular)
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »

If you haven't got your set yet,NOW is good time to buy in (mtgotraders prices at now):

Mox Jet            VMA    $37.75
Mox Pearl     VMA    $34.54
Mox Ruby            VMA    $34.99

-Jyri-

Edit: I had the prices wrong. A full set is 446 on goatbots. Not sure how I'd math'd that poorly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:29:41 pm by thecrav » Logged

Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2014, 08:05:30 pm »

-Jyri-

Just for those who haven't bought in yet, a full set of power, actually including the twister is under $400 on GoatBots.

Sheesh.  I bought in for more than double those prices. 

H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2014, 06:55:53 am »

Prices are good right now, but I made a deal with my wife that I wouldn't buy in unless cost was under about $350.  Both she and I are not pleased by the prospect of paying lots of money for cards I already own.  Of course, this is mainly because I am poor as hell...

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
hashswag
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2014, 08:33:03 am »

Sell a couple of superfluous paper cards?
keys
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:00 am »

If there was Mac support...

Are there different servers for different time zones? Can you pay with any currency? I switch between the U.S. and U.K. a lot.
Tharizdun
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2014, 09:08:32 am »

If there was Mac support...

Same here. When they forced the move my Mac had a lot of issues playing on the Parallels stuff. Just not worth the aggravation. I gave away my power to members of the art group on FB! I wish it weren't so but I feel like WOTC will never get their act together regards MTGO.
Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:50 pm »

-Jyri-

Thanks for the info. I bought a set of moxes and workshops. Not bad. Just need wastelands to come down again Smile

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah
Brick Novax
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:36 pm »

Recently bought in, and in a complete shock to everyone reading this, recently began playing vintage. Since I cannot justify plopping down the cash to buy real power, mtgo is probably going to be my only opportunity to experience the format. I've played in paper exclusively up till this point. The temptation to try vintage was too much so I signed up for MTGO and away I went.

The format is not what I expected. Vintage is way more interactive than I could have ever imagined. However, I now know that losing the coin flip to Workshop decks or turn 1 tinker, robot, vault, key is about as much fun as having your finger nails pulled out one at a time. The plays that get made in vintage are at times mind boggling. I've literally been sitting in front of my computer in awe at some of the lines of play that get made to side step hate or combo out when they in theory they shouldn't have been able to do so. I have also learned that some of the cool splashy cards you would get laughed at for playing in Legacy, Modern or Standard can be surprisingly effective and often times back breaking in Vintage. It's like nothing I've ever played before.

Unfortunately, Vintage on MTGO is still like playing anything on MTGO, except worse. I could continue with the xyz of MTGO's failures as a viable product, but I'll spare you the frustration of reading it again. I'm sure you all know all to well, but I wouldn't have believed it was as bad as it is even if you told me. The daily events no longer existing... that did it for me. It made me regret buying in. The whole point of MTGO is to get to play MTG when you want to play MTG. It's supposed to make it easier to your hobby into your life. Instead, I've been told I can only play on the weekend. Like it or lump it.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. To anyone considering buying in, I'd do some serious soul searching about how bad you actually want to play vintage before you decide to do so.
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »

The format is not what I expected. Vintage is way more interactive than I could have ever imagined. However, I now know that losing the coin flip to Workshop decks or turn 1 tinker, robot, vault, key is about as much fun as having your finger nails pulled out one at a time. The plays that get made in vintage are at times mind boggling. I've literally been sitting in front of my computer in awe at some of the lines of play that get made to side step hate or combo out when they in theory they shouldn't have been able to do so. I have also learned that some of the cool splashy cards you would get laughed at for playing in Legacy, Modern or Standard can be surprisingly effective and often times back breaking in Vintage. It's like nothing I've ever played before.

This might be the best endorsement for Vintage that I've ever seen. I'm sorry it has to be followed up with regret due to MTGO Sad

Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2014, 01:01:51 am »

Unfortunately, Vintage on MTGO is still like playing anything on MTGO, except worse. I could continue with the xyz of MTGO's failures as a viable product, but I'll spare you the frustration of reading it again. I'm sure you all know all to well, but I wouldn't have believed it was as bad as it is even if you told me. The daily events no longer existing... that did it for me. It made me regret buying in. The whole point of MTGO is to get to play MTG when you want to play MTG. It's supposed to make it easier to your hobby into your life. Instead, I've been told I can only play on the weekend. Like it or lump it.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. To anyone considering buying in, I'd do some serious soul searching about how bad you actually want to play vintage before you decide to do so.

Wizards removing the workweek daily events has actually seemed to be a boon for tournement players, as the dailies are firing again with some regularity. I have no direct concern with the dailies failing to fire as I have yet to try to play in one in the four months since buying in, but I am worried about dwindling interest in Vintage on MTGO. I don't really care what the price for Power is as I assumed I was never going to get my money back, and I was okay with that as long as I could play Vintage as frequently as I want. I still don't have troubles finding games regularly, but I have noticed reduced traffic in the tournament practice room. I hope falling prices along with the holiday Vintage tournement will inspire more people to explore vintage.

I wanted to respond to your last sentence more specifically. While "soul searching" strikes me as somewhat over dramatic for discussing something as mundane as spending money on a game, I think it is valid to ask what someone wants from their MTGO experience. If the answer is to have fun playing a digital version of a very fun game, I would still strongly recommend buying in. As I am not been playing for prizes any bugs I have encountered have been meaningless. If a user wants to play for prizes (as nominal as the are for DEs) then all the well documented shortcomings of the platform have real consequenses, and a potential user needs to question whether they can tolerate these problems or if they will outweigh the enjoyment they will get from playing the game.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
dangerlinto
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

If the answer is to have fun playing a digital version of a very fun game, I would still strongly recommend buying in. As I am not been playing for prizes any bugs I have encountered have been meaningless. If a user wants to play for prizes (as nominal as the are for DEs) then all the well documented shortcomings of the platform have real consequenses, and a potential user needs to question whether they can tolerate these problems or if they will outweigh the enjoyment they will get from playing the game.

Very wise words here.

Thankfully, I get enough fun out of just playing for free in the Tournament Practice room to justify the costs.
Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:12 pm »

Very wise words here.

Thankfully, I get enough fun out of just playing for free in the Tournament Practice room to justify the costs.

You could have done this on Cockatrice for free.

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
hashswag
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2014, 03:12:13 pm »

The worst part about cockatrice is having to watch everything like a hawk to keep people from either being dishonest or making rule mistakes. I find mtgo so much more enjoyable for casual play not having to worry about that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: