TheManaDrain.com
January 25, 2020, 07:26:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [FRF] Sudden Reclamation  (Read 1777 times)
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:34 am »

The fact that this is an instant is what I think makes it interesting.  Not sure if it fits into any current shells, but I know it has to have applications somewhere to be used and abused.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:45 am »

Too much mana for the effect I think. By contrast:

Grim sees no play whatsoever and on paper it's a fantastic card. It is pure value, cheap, controlled recursion, etc. I am not sure 2 more mana to make it an instant and the mill effect is quite enough to make this see any play.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53:06 am »

First off, I do agree that at 3G, Sudden Reclamation is not Vintage playable.  We have better options.

However, it strikes me that Reclamation is actually a very powerful card and I would not be surprised to see it become a staple in Modern or Standard.  At 4 mana, it's not going to come down on an empty graveyard hardly ever.  That means you probably already have a fetchland and some early game dork in the yard.  If we assume that, then we know it's always going to give you two cards.  But the kicker is that you also mill 4.  So, this means you're going to draw the best two lands/creatures off the top four cards if you want.  Since you draw two from your yard after milling, this card is very close to a Concentrate + Regrowth combo.  That seems powerful.

We've seen this effect before, and Wizards keeps jacking it up in terms of power.  Green has been getting "look at the top X cards and draw one / two of them of this type" for awhile.  Lead the Stampede was quite good, but not quite good enough to see any play.  There was the 2-drop from Theros that looked at the top SIX and got THREE Enchantments, and that was safe, too.  So, now they've added a Regrowth effect on this kind of card.

Stay tuned, because Green is probably going to keep getting these kind of cards, and it could easily become playable once the die rolls the right way.    Heck, at 1G I think it's pretty clear that Reclamation would be totally insane; at 2G, it's probably very powerful.  3G is probably too far, but... we'll see where we go next.
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »

What does a home run with this thing look like? A Strip Mine and a Tarmogoyf? No thanks.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:53:06 pm »

I was thinking more like a bazaar and a flickerwisp or dredger or reclamation sage or pridemage and a waste or strip in hatebear decks. It has applications outside of green decks. My main interest in it is that its an instant. Like I said it doesnt seem to fit in any current shell but maybe something can be built around it. To me its a green mix of Gifts or Fact. Obv its limited in what you can get but I think it can have some relevent applications with the right cards.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:08:26 pm »

At 3G, you're right.  Probably not more to discuss.

At 3 or 2 mana, though, milling 4 and then returning whatever two lands/creatures from your yard you happen to need the time is good.  Your "home run" will vary with the board state.
Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:07 am »

I'm sorry guys, but are we discussing every card now that is still questionable when it cost 2 mana less? Complete waste of time.
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:59 am »

If it cost less and dug a bit more, it would be decent to get back a Cavern and a Bomberman or Notion Thief.  I agree with the C-Dawg analysis.  They're not there yet but they're getting... warmer. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:55 am »

This is like a "Green" Fact or Fiction, but what deck in Vintage would want that?
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:45:59 am »

I'm sorry guys, but are we discussing every card now that is still questionable when it cost 2 mana less? Complete waste of time.

Hey, at least this card isn't a vanilla 4/4. Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: