TheManaDrain.com
August 20, 2019, 04:00:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragons of Tarkir  (Read 6223 times)
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:40 pm »

New set, with Dragons should have a couple of playables in there, but frankly so far it's pretty lackluster.

Dragonlord Kolaghan
4 B R
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon
Flying, haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in his or her graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

A tiny bit better than Rorix with a useless T4 ability, meh.

Harbinger of the Hunt
3 R G
Creature - Dragon
Flying
2R: Harbinger of the Hunt deals 1 damage to each creature without flying.
2G: Harbinger of the Hunt deals 1 damage to each other creature with flying.

A tiny bit worse than Scourge of Kher ridges, meh.

Ojutai's Command
 2 W U
Instant
Choose two
Return target creature card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
You gain 4 life.
Counter target creature spell.
Draw a card.

Not broken, but decently versatile. First 2 abilities very situational, but worse case cycles with 4 life.

Profound Journey
5 W W
Sorcery
Return target permanent card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Rebound

Well, that one is definitively playable.

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:28 am »

Definitely seen a few more cards that'll be making their way into my stack.

Hidden Dragonslayer   {1} {W}
Creature - Human Warrior
Lifelink
Megamorph  {2} {W}
When Hidden Dragonslayer is turned face up, destroy target creature with a power of 4 or greater an opponent controls.
2/1

Yet another solid morph dude that can gain you some extra life.

Clone Legion   {7} {U} {U}
Sorcery
For each creature target player controls, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that creature.

I LOVE this card!  Even though it'll probably just copy one or two guys most times, it still seems crazy good in Type 4.  Incidently, it doesn't target, so you can copy their shroud and hexproof guys as well!

Stratus Dancer   {1} {U}
Creature - Djinn Monk
Flying
Megamorph  {1} {U}
When Stratus Dancer is truned face up, counter target instant or sorcery spell
2/1

Morph based counters are always welcome.  They don't cost you a card or your speel or the turn, AND they can counter split second cards, which is always helpful.

Sidisi, Undead Vizier   {3} {B} {B}
Legendary Creature - Zombie Naga
Deathtouch
Exploit
When Sidisi, Undead Vizier exploits a creature, you may search your library for a card, put it in you hand, and shuffle you library.
4/6

Probably worse than Rune-Scarred Demon here, but the effect is solid and the sac outlet can be handy.

Silumgar Assassin   {1} {B}
Creature - Human Assassin
Creatures with power greater the Silumgar Assassin can't block it.
Megamorph  {2} {B}
When Silumgar Assassin is turned face up, destroy target creature with power of 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

Generally not as useful as Hidden Dragonslayer, he can still pick off pesky utility dorks.  I plan to try this out if I can find a spot.

Ainok Survivalist   {1} {G}
Creature - Hound Shaman
Megamorph  {1} {G}
When Ainok Survivalist is turned face up, destroy target artifact or enchantment an opponent controls.
2/1

I already run Nantuko Vigilante, but I may replace it with this since I also run Viral Drake and this gives that more stuff to proliferate.

Den Protector  {1} {G}
Creature- Human Warrior
Creatures with power less than Den Protector's can't block it.
Megamorph  {1} {G}
When Den Protector is turned ace up, return target card in your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

The face down hits keep rolling in!  This is an awesome surprise effect I can't wait to use!

Dragonlord Dromoka  {4} {G} {W}
Dragonlord Dromoka cannot be countered.
Flying, lifelink
Your opponents can't cast spells during your turn.
5/7

REALLY solid beater!  Between the lifelink and shutting down your opponents' ability to react to (or counter) stuff on your turn, this dragon demands a quick answer!

Dragonlord Silumgar  {4} {U} {B}
Flying, deathtouch
When Dragonlord Silumgar enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature or planeswalker for as long as youcontrol Dragonlord Silumgar.
3/5

This one's a bit less durable than the last, but the ability to take an opposing creature is a good one!  While less common, the three planeswalkers I run (Bolas, Karn, and Ugin) all make similarly fine targets.  It'll take a bit of effort to get the most out of him, as he is still just a fragile creature, but I like him.

Narset Transcendant   {2} {W} {U}
Planeswalker - Narset
+1: Look at the top card of your library.  If it's a noncreature, nonland card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand.
-2: When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, it gains rebound.
-9: You get an emblem with "Your opponents can't cast noncreature spells."

I really want to like this card, but I feel like it's the same trap I fell for when Cast Through Time was printed, it does basically nothing on it's own.  Still, handing out rebound is so appealing I want to try it.

Silumgar's Command  {3} {U} {B}
Instant
Choose two
Counter target noncreature spell.
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
Destroy target planeswalker.

The other good command (though Kolaghan's might be ok).  This one will usually be a psudeo Cryptic Command, though one could do a lot worse than that!
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:07:52 am »

Cards that I definitely want:

Anticipate - The day that I will cut an instant speed card quality spell has not come yet
Contradict - Another Dismiss, doesn't get more solid than that
Dragonlord's Prerogative - More Tidings, blue gets stronger again... The dragon kicker will be rare but actually matters on this card
Ojutai's Command - a stronger Exclude, which I play. The four life mode is very relevant, as is returning Azorius Guildmage
Silumgar's Command - A weak Cryptic Command, easily good enough

Cards I probably want:

Resupply - 6 life is a lot, I'd always want to cast this
Clone Legion - Usually it will just copy a single creature or is a dead card, but the stories it can create are hilarious and it can be powerful

Require testing, unlikely to make it in:

Hedonist's Trove - It is a slow grindy card, but has to also be cast late. Playable graveyard hate however is rare
Commune with Lava - a really bad way to draw
Dragonlord Dromoka - probably will not live until your next turn, on the other hand it is not a scary threat so people might let it live
Dragonlord Kolaghan - I want more haste creatures, this has only 6 power, but the mass fervor is interesting
Harbinger of the Hunt - A weaker Scourge of Kher Ridges, but another piece to combo with Glarecaster/Zhalfirin Commander/Mirrorwood Treefolk/Stuffy Doll
Foul-Tongue Invocation - better than Diabolic Edict, but barely

Overall a good set
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:20 am »

Hedonist's Trove - It is a slow grindy card, but has to also be cast late. Playable graveyard hate however is rare

I disagree with you here, this is not graveyard hate, it's basically another Yawgmoth's Agenda. You get anywhere from 10-15 cards to play as it they were in your hands, AND you get to choose the best graveyard when you cast it. If that graveyard has a ton of counters and instants, you're golden.

Just like agenda, it's a beast in the late game and can often give you the win. The downside to Agenda is that you lose the cards if the player dies.
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »

I guess that depends how quick your stack is. When games in four turns and less, players often die with less than ten cards in their graveyards. We have played and cut Agenda years ago.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: