TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 05:32:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ORG]Jace,Vryn's Prodigy//Jace, Telepath Unbound  (Read 34538 times)
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »

I was messing with this card yesterday, and found it rare but hilarious that after looting with it and Dack, it can combo with Dack's ultimate to steal creatures for profit.

very interesting use of it's plus ability (that was origionally conceived to be worthless). 

Pretty sure that doesn't work the way you want it to...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Aaron Patten
Basic User

Mox Dragon of the Lotus

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »

Dack requires it to be a spell Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2015, 04:31:07 pm »

man, that would have been a really cool interaction. 
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2015, 05:02:54 pm »

Would have been really cool if they made Dack's ultimate do something.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »

Flashing back Pyroblasts with a Dack emblem isn't the worst...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

Random conversations...
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2015, 05:08:11 pm »

Flashing back Pyroblasts with a Dack emblem isn't the worst...

You know what I mean, turning my split card vindicate/counterspell into confiscate/vindicate/counterspell is something I guess, but its an ultimate and really should work for activated abilities.
marcb
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »

Totally forgot to reread the ultimate. I use it so rarely, I figured I just remembered how it worked. That's unfortunate. For an ultimate, I naturally expect more than spell target only.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2015, 10:13:08 pm »

It's remarkable how some of the most powerful cards in Magic's history are largely unheralded - or at least, largely underestimated - when released.  Necropotence may be the most famous, but Gifts, Gush, Jace, TMS, and certainly, Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are also examples. 

MTGFan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2015, 11:10:36 am »

It's remarkable how some of the most powerful cards in Magic's history are largely unheralded - or at least, largely underestimated - when released.  Necropotence may be the most famous, but Gifts, Gush, Jace, TMS, and certainly, Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are also examples. 

Throw Tarmogoyf and Bridge from Below into that category as well.

Although I'm pretty sure people the potential of DTT/TC right off the bat. In your own Khans predictions podcast I think you guys were pretty bullish on DTT/TC both.
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »

It's remarkable how some of the most powerful cards in Magic's history are largely unheralded - or at least, largely underestimated - when released.  Necropotence may be the most famous, but Gifts, Gush, Jace, TMS, and certainly, Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are also examples.  

And this magnificent lady:

Señora Dragón.  ¡Ay, caramba!

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:42 pm »

How often has a card been hyped by the entire community and then failed though?  I think most Vintage players take the philosophy of not a staple until proven so.  As a collective we also seemingly take the complete opposite opinion on cards on the restricted list, staples until proven otherwise.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:18 pm »

How much of a hit is Jace going to take with Delve draw spells now all being restricted?  Is his interaction with Gush still strong enough that he's a good play in those kind of decks?  

On the flip side, how good is Jace in a 4x Thirst for Knowledge blue shell?

How often has a card been hyped by the entire community and then failed though?  I think most Vintage players take the philosophy of not a staple until proven so.  As a collective we also seemingly take the complete opposite opinion on cards on the restricted list, staples until proven otherwise.

I'm with this.  I was confused about how to evaluate Lil' Jace at first, and frankly, I'm still a bit lost in the weeds.  I get Big Jace because, hey, free Brainstorm and removal and win condition.  I don't get this card except as a way to replay Gush.  Then again, perhaps I should listen to my own advice when I was noodling about Narset:

"Narset's second ability is crazy good with spells in Vintage, moreso than any other format.  Giving anything on the restricted list Rebound -- multiple times -- for free on the turn you do it -- is potentially Earth-shatteringly good in this format.  Would you play "Seal of Fork" if you could and it cost 4 mana and you could use it 2 - 3 times before it went away?  I think you might.  Advantage Narset."

Since, you know, that's what Jace does if he's unmolested.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:03:57 pm by MaximumCDawg » Logged
Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2015, 01:36:12 am »

Narset and Jace would make for in interesting combo.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:23 am »

Jace would make an interesting combo with lots of planeswalkers.

How much of a hit is Jace going to take with Delve draw spells now all being restricted?
Prodigy improves imho, since you are not wasting your grave to pay for delve spells so aggresively. JTMS also improves as a big blue spell, recovering the spot lost to DTT in some cases.

Is his interaction with Gush still strong enough that he's a good play in those kind of decks? 
Both JTMS and gush are really good cards on their own, but make a so-so team. Playing gush makes  {2} {U} {U} hard to achieve, but of course once you have a jace in battlefield, the lands returned with gush can be exchanged with something more interesting after brainstorming them.

On the flip side, how good is Jace in a 4x Thirst for Knowledge blue shell
Jace is played at sorcery speed, thirst is an instant. Again they can be coupled, but thirst is more oriented to counterspell wars, gifts, FoF... In the old Tezzerator days Jace wasn't a key part, but it was present after restriction of thirst.
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2015, 04:10:43 am »

Y'all should have gotten your playset of Magic Origins Jace earlier like I did.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:38:26 am by Space_Stormy » Logged

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:45 am »

On the flip side

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:25 am »

meanwhile, a month later the card is still bugged with Containment Priest and Hallowed Moonlight
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »

Not sure how you mean this. Rebound only triggers on spells cast from your hand.

Random conversations...
inkmothnexus
Basic User

Dredge Guy

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2015, 11:30:06 pm »

Throw Tarmogoyf and Bridge from Below into that category as well.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Bridge from Below is actually a yugioh card.

Sullivan Brophy

NYSE III champion, vintage champs 2015 top 4.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: