TheManaDrain.com
June 27, 2022, 05:54:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGO Play Points & changes to Dailies  (Read 21528 times)
saspook
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »

Blow up the economy, butcher Vintage Dailies and now stop supporting VSL?  The hits just keep on coming.

Season 1 wasn't supported by WotC, I don't see what support is needed.  But I don't see why they wouldn't support it (unless they are 'making' their own standard and modern).
It was indeed supported (in a very miniscule way), in that Randy convinced WotC to provide a set of Foil Power 9 on MTGO to the winner each season. Randy and Shotgun Lotus have basically done everything else themselves the rest of the time.

I would like to think that the honor of winning the VSL is worth more than a foil set of power.
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »

I would like to think that the honor of winning the VSL is worth more than a foil set of power.
As Randy, LSV, and others originally stated in or before VSL Season 1, they wanted some actual stakes to play for, besides just bragging rights. Many of the players have to balance preparation for GP/PT formats with their prep for VSL, so I think the P9 gave them more incentive to win, and not getting booted for being last place also gave people towards the bottom of the standings continued incentive each week. I thought it seemed like a very good setup initially. We'll see how it unfolds in the future as a spectator event, especially with a lot of non-VSL Eternal format MTGO players having already jumped the boat (myself included).

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:27 pm »

As Randy, LSV, and others originally stated in or before VSL Season 1, they wanted some actual stakes to play for, besides just bragging rights. Many of the players have to balance preparation for GP/PT formats with their prep for VSL, so I think the P9 gave them more incentive to win, and not getting booted for being last place also gave people towards the bottom of the standings continued incentive each week. I thought it seemed like a very good setup initially. We'll see how it unfolds in the future as a spectator event, especially with a lot of non-VSL Eternal format MTGO players having already jumped the boat (myself included).

Is there some kind of gambling issue that keeps them from playing for cash stakes or something? There are plenty of StarCraft tournaments that follow that model, in the US. To me this doesn't seem different.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

So what's the plan? We all need each other if we want to continue on with MTGO Vintage. Are we going to wait and see what happens in the next year or just cash in our chips and forget about it?  

Ive been in the latter camp for a few months now because of the P9 price trend.  They've been dropping in price since they were released and we all speculated them to do the opposite.  The fact is that digital goods are super fragile investments.  

I originally bought Black Lotus for $250. Its now $95 and Vintage Dailies will soon stop firing.

Join the Vintage League!
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:44 pm »

So what's the plan? We all need each other if we want to continue on with MTGO Vintage. Are we going to wait and see what happens in the next year or just cash in our chips and forget about it?  

Ive been in the latter camp for a few months now because of the P9 price trend.  They've been dropping in price since they were released and we all speculated them to do the opposite.  The fact is that digital goods are super fragile investments.  

I originally bought Black Lotus for $250. Its now $95 and Vintage Dailies will soon stop firing.

Sell low isn't the best stock advice. Additionally, it shouldn't be that hard to fire 8 man dailies, but I guess we'll see. I really don't care what the price of power 9 is because I see no reason to ever sell mine.
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:12 pm »

Sell low isn't the best stock advice. Additionally, it shouldn't be that hard to fire 8 man dailies, but I guess we'll see. I really don't care what the price of power 9 is because I see no reason to ever sell mine.

I second this. Any money I spend on cards whether cardboard or digital I assume is consumed as I just want to play with it. Only way I am selling is if I can no longer even find a casual game to play, if we reach that point its probably not even worth my time to try to find a buyer.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2015, 09:20:09 pm »

There is a thread started for a player-run event on MTGO. I think our best bet is to network as a community, and find ways to enjoy the game in that fashion.

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=47924.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:23:21 pm by Islandswamp » Logged

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:54 am »

Blow up the economy, butcher Vintage Dailies and now stop supporting VSL?  The hits just keep on coming.

Season 1 wasn't supported by WotC, I don't see what support is needed.  But I don't see why they wouldn't support it (unless they are 'making' their own standard and modern).
It was indeed supported (in a very miniscule way), in that Randy convinced WotC to provide a set of Foil Power 9 on MTGO to the winner each season. Randy and Shotgun Lotus have basically done everything else themselves the rest of the time.

My understanding (from Rich, but if I'm wrong I welcome Rich/Stephen to correct me), is that VSL players are given "God Accounts" with every card to play with. Dropping WotC support may also mean dropping access to God Accounts. I know Rich and Stephen already have an mtgo collection (but there are still card access issues, and they might not have one for long/anymore) .... but someone like Kai probably isn't going to want to spend a $1000 entry fee to play in a tournament with no prizes, in what is for him, essentially, a casual format

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Klep
OMG I'M KLEP!
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2015, 10:39:18 am »

On Twitter Randy has clarified that Wizards hasn't dropped its support for VSL and the others - the MTGO accounts will still be provided and such - but that Wizards may not continue its sponsorship - providing money to reimburse players for their participation.  They simply haven't made those decisions for FY2016 yet.

So I suppose I should take The Fringe back out of my sig now...
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:42 pm »

This is it. Play points go into effect tomorrow after the (presumably extended) downtime.

I only had one day off last week, so I wasn't going to play in the Sunday night Daily event, then I realized that it was my last chance to play in an event that I enjoy. I did ok, so that was nice.

I really don't know what will happen, I've kept a few decks but I did liquidate roughly $800 in cards after the announcement.

I can still play for free in the tournament practice room, but that leaves a lot to be desired.

Please consider playing in the player run events corvel will be running. It looks like cardhoarder is giving prize support.

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: