TheManaDrain.com
December 05, 2019, 11:13:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dredge and how to improve my list  (Read 2187 times)
Nasfers
Basic User

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:59 pm »

First off lets state I am just getting back into the vintage scene, it has been some years since I played. I ended with a top 4 in my first vintage tournament in years. With that being said I am sure I missed some triggers and so on and so forth but I am trying to get a feel with what I should do with this deck to combat more hate, are the sudden shocks mandatory or is Firestorm fine? Leylines main or side? Chewers mandatory main? Any advice to help combat the meta would be greatly appreciated.

Semi-Finalist – John Koprowski
“No deck name provided"

2 Petrified Field
4 Mana Confluence
4 Undiscovered Paradise
2 Dakmor Salvage
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
4 Golgari Grave Troll
4 Bloodghast
3 Dread Return
4 Stinkweed Imp
2 Golgari Thug
3 Ichorid
4 Narcomoeba
4 Bridge from Below
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Flame-kin Zealot
4 Serum Powder
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Ingot Chewer
1 Fatestitcher
1 Ancient Grudge

Sideboard:
4 Nature’s Claim
3 Murderous Cut
4 Sudden Shock
4 Leyline of the Void
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:52 pm »

Hey John!

All in all the list looks pretty solid. Things that I take notice of playing Dredge:

The Dread Return Package seems like win more in my opinion, the only time I see it being absolutely necessary is in a super fast combo metagame where you need to race them.

Right now, with all the Wastelands (Workshops) around I would play a minimum of 3 Petreifed Field. I play 4 Field and 4 Ichorid as outs to Shops and I don't plan on changing that, you can always board out Fields against non Wasteland decks.

I understand the love for Grudge but I feel it's nowhere near as good as it used to be ever since the printing of Grafdigger's Cage.

Fatestitcher without Sun Titan seems awkward, but I understand it's purpose. Again, I feel it's win more.

Maindeck Chewers are sweet but again not needed in my opinion, how often are you evoking Ingot Chewer in game one? It certainly can be in the main I just feel it's a sideboard card.

A card your deck is lacking that I feel is pivotal to the deck is Unmask. The card is very powerful and can cause concessions by itself.

I love me some Murderous Cut but I have found it's only really good against Workshops, whereas every other deck can probably and will probably counter it.

Nature's Claim is a strong card and usually a staple but I have cut it from my list. It gets countered by too much, Misstep mostly, but also Flusterstorm and Misdirection as well.

Hope my long list of thoughts helps you somewhat. Keep up the good work eatin brains with zombies!

- Gottshall

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
Nasfers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:50 pm »

Hey, thanks for the reply! I've been talking to Geras mulling over the idea of what way I want to go. As for firestorms, do you think that's a better board card right now with all these mentor and Containment priest builds? I am trying to see where the meta sits and if it's sitting at a shop heavy format I may just leave the chewers main and keep the leylines side. I like the idea of protecting my combo, but I also like adapting to the meta more so. I revamped to get Unmasks in, I will post my list once I unwind from play testing Legacy. Thanks for the input, I am taking it all into consideration!  Very Happy
Nasfers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:49:48 pm »

4 Undiscovered Paradise
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
4 Mana Confluence
2 Petrified Field
1 Dakmor Salvage
4 Bloodghast
4 Ingot Chewer
4 Ichorid