TheManaDrain.com
August 20, 2019, 04:12:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evangelizing for vintage at BFZ pre-release  (Read 2541 times)
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:37:15 pm »

As luck would have it, I don't have anything going on this weekend and my usual Saturday MTG event is canceled to make room for prerelease. As further luck would have it, this Sunday is our regularly scheduled vintage event. So I'm thinking I'm going to go to prerelease and attempt to evangelize for the bestest format in the whole wide world.

I'd appreciate some feedback on my plan. Suggestions are welcome!

My plan:

* Bring my own non-proxy deck - mostly to show off. I know some people newer to magic have only heard of some of these cards and find it cool to see them in person.
* Bring several printed out proxy decks. Unfortunately, budgetary restrictions dictate that these will be black and white rather than something more high quality. However, that means that I can...
* Give away these decks for free (or for a couple of bucks to cover my cost and ensure that only people who are actually interested take them
* Do bring complex combo decks like Belcher, TPS, and Gush, but do so to show the crazy things that you can do in vintage, not to play with.
* With each deck, have a pre-written short explanation of how the deck works. (I'm working on an example of this)

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:02:35 am »

I like the effort.  I'm not sure about the giving away of proxy decks to vintage first timers or even semi-newbs for a nominal fee or not for a couple of reasons; not the least of which is the effort on your part for something that might just end up in someone's trash or on their shelf for perpetuity. You'll need to do that a lot of times to get a good base established.

If you are creating a library for your local shop, maybe you just ask the owner if you can leave it there for people to use in house with a sign "Vintage proxy decks, try them out, but put them back!" or even "Vintage proxy decks, try them out, bring one or two home if you want, but bring them back!".  The least a player can do is copy one to make their own proxy deck if they find they like Vintage.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:06:51 am by bactgudz » Logged
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:15:00 pm »

I think it's a good idea in general. I believe your best bet for success would be to target Legacy players, since many of them will have the duals, the Forces, the more midrange cards and could probably transition straight to 10-15 proxy unsanctioned events. They would basically just be proxying the power + Time Vault, Library etc.

I've brought my non-proxy deck to my local store to test, the younger players did get a kick out of seeing the old cards in person. I don't know what kind of appreciation newer players have for these cards. I've been in since Revised, so the power has been part of Magic culture for me since the very beginning, I wonder if the newer generations have the same fascination with these cards that I did.

True story about bringing out the power at the local shop:

Two of my buddies were testing before NYSE, and this little 9 year old kid is watching and asking questions as they play, but he basically shit talked Andy for "only" having 4 moxes on him, and zinged Jesse because some of his power was white bordered. Kids these days.
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »

I like the effort.  I'm not sure about the giving away of proxy decks to vintage first timers or even semi-newbs for a nominal fee or not for a couple of reasons; not the least of which is the effort on your part for something that might just end up in someone's trash or on their shelf for perpetuity. You'll need to do that a lot of times to get a good base established.

If you are creating a library for your local shop, maybe you just ask the owner if you can leave it there for people to use in house with a sign "Vintage proxy decks, try them out, but put them back!" or even "Vintage proxy decks, try them out, bring one or two home if you want, but bring them back!".  The least a player can do is copy one to make their own proxy deck if they find they like Vintage.

The price I was thinking was "please buy me a pack of sleeves to replace the pack I'm handing you" which would put the cost at around $8. I think that's enough that people will want to at continue trying them at least a little bit.

I like the idea of a box of decks for the store. Unfortunately, while this reduces work in that I don't have to constantly print new decks, it also means that someone needs to be looking through those decks periodically to ensure that none of their cards went missing and that the sideboard and main deck are properly separated. I'm not sure if it would actually end up being less work.

I think it's a good idea in general. I believe your best bet for success would be to target Legacy players, since many of them will have the duals, the Forces, the more midrange cards and could probably transition straight to 10-15 proxy unsanctioned events. They would basically just be proxying the power + Time Vault, Library etc.

I've detailed a bit in this post why, at least locally, legacy players are not a good target for Vintage. But in principle, I agree.

True story about bringing out the power at the local shop:

Two of my buddies were testing before NYSE, and this little 9 year old kid is watching and asking questions as they play, but he basically shit talked Andy for "only" having 4 moxes on him, and zinged Jesse because some of his power was white bordered. Kids these days.

I have two funny things like this. At FNM me and a friend are jamming some games.

1. His deck is 100% beta 100% japanese foil. People were ragging on my non-proxy deck for not being as nice as his.

2. Several people came up to me and assumed I didn't know what I was doing and, while comboing out with gush-bond, told me "you already played a land this turn, you can't play another" and "dude you can't just PICK UP lands whenever you want"

* With each deck, have a pre-written short explanation of how the deck works. (I'm working on an example of this)

I've thrown together a sample of this for Fenton Oath here. Again, feedback is greatly appreciated.

As I was toying with this, my idea was to have something that could be printed out on one single front-and-back piece of paper to be included with the deck and decklist.

As a follow up, would anyone be interested in working with me to compile more of these super-brief deck descriptions aimed at noobies?

bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »

The price I was thinking was "please buy me a pack of sleeves to replace the pack I'm handing you" which would put the cost at around $8. I think that's enough that people will want to at continue trying them at least a little bit.
If you want to do something like that, you might want to be careful to keep it at that level with them actually just giving you a replacement set of sleeves rather than some other compensation.  All it takes is one person who doesn't particularly like you or is sufficiently skilled in asshattery to complain to the store owner or even something like reporting to wizards that you are selling proxies to ruin a perfectly good organized effort.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:12:35 pm by bactgudz » Logged
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:59:14 am »

How did this end up working out? It sounded like a great idea Very Happy

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:16:43 pm »

How did this end up working out? It sounded like a great idea Very Happy

I planned poorly and it didn't work out at all.

I showed up to midnight pre-release, forgetting that it would be an hour until people actually started playing Magic and another two hours before people were out of the running for prizes and would be willing to play. I went home and drank beer, at Raisin' Canes and watched Battlestar Galactica. Then I failed to get up in time for the morning prerelease because I'd stayed up so late.

On the plus side, I now have until 2016 to prepare a really strong version of this plan, which I originally came up with without much time to spare.

TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »

Hey man, beer and Battlestar Galactica sounds like a pretty awesome night

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: