TheManaDrain.com
October 15, 2019, 07:10:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Old School @ Eudogames: October 18, 2015
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old School Magic @ Eudemonia!!! October, 18, 2015 MARK YOUR CALENDARS!  (Read 6732 times)
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:32:16 pm »

http://www.eudogames.com/magic/151018-old-school-magic

NorCal Old School Magic
Sunday, July 26 @ 1 PM

$25 entry fee
    In-store registration opens at noon
    No proxies
    No reprints only actual printings from legal sets are allowed
    Black bordered cards are highly encouraged
    Foreign language cards are okay
CE & IE edition are Legal:
Collector's Edition and International Edition sets are legal for this tournament, but only if they are in decks that are double or triple sleeved (the latter being preferred).  

Click the link for all of the details!

SPREAD THE WORD!!

I have many cards I can loan out, so just PM me with your needs, and I'll let you know what you can borrow.

TWO NOTES:

1) I am asking for this event to be Swiss + 1, so that there is no incentive to make an intentional draw, and so that the event won't take up the entire day and evening.

2) We WILL be changing Winter Orb to work like Eternal Central rules, so that Winter Orb "turns off" if it is tapped.  

These clarifications should be updated on the webpage soon.

Who is coming!?

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:13:57 pm »

The original announcement has been updated with special errata for Winter Orb.  FYI!!!

eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:41:03 pm »

Should actually be able to make this one! Time to bust out the Relic Barrier / Winter Orb combo given that errata??
aahz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:22 pm »

I still hate that this is not in the regional tournament announcement forum.

I'm planning to be there barring any unforeseen catastrophes in the meantime.

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:56:27 pm »

You'll get used to it Smile. Spread the word

aahz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »

You'll get used to it Smile.
Maybe. But I might also miss future events because I was unaware and didn't happen to notice the post in a subforum that I don't visit regularly.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

spread the word and remind folks of this event!

eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 11:38:26 pm »

Have two decks sleeved up, still tinkering around with one of them. But have three interested players. We may try to throw a third deck together but probably have to find another playset of AQ Mishra's Factories in order to do so! It's hard to field multiple decks in this format from one collection, particularly trying to maintain a respectable level of pimpness across each.

Also anyone else try to pick up an Arabian Nights Serendib Efreet recently and find that they are out of stock at essentially every online store, and/or have quadrupled in price all of a sudden? Old School must be catching on...
Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 03:54:33 am »

@Serendibs: Just checked prices of oldschool staples last night - it's absurd. Those cards are indeed rare. Doesn't take many people to pick them up until they run out of stock...

@Tournament: Seems I should finally consider moving to California...
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:52 pm »

Please spread the word. Some folks still don't know about this!

Frodo Fett
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:40 pm »

I just found out I could make it to this... and, oh my, look how many of my old cards are not allowed because they are 4th edition  Sad 

I always traded for 4th over Revised because of how much richer the inking in 4th was.  Ruh roh.

Smmenen: I don't know how much weight the words of someone like me carry, (I haven't logged in to TMD in about 10 years!) but for the next one of these, could 4th edition please be allowed?

• All the cards are reprints of already playable cards, with the SAME art and card frame.
  • Chronicles, which is allowed, came out after 4th edition.

You might get some more Sylvan Libraries, Land Taxes, and Ball Lightnings in the field... but then again, would that not be sweet?
aahz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:58:14 am »

@FF: Somebody might have extra revised versions that you can borrow. I played a couple 4/5th Edition Verduran Enchantresses in one of the Old School events and no one said anything (though one was a color error misprint, the other was BB Japanese, and I did have an Alpha one also).

Sadly, it turns out that Real Life does not seem to approve of me traveling to Magic tournaments anymore, so I'm not going to be able to make this one after all.

Somebody please take some pictures this time!
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 11:28:31 pm »

Despite Heiner, Aahz and Blaine not showing up we had another good turnout with 11 players. Here are the final standings:

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 11:34:30 pm »

Here are some of the top decks: (pleas excuse the presentation - i csnt figure out how to rotate images on tinypic on my phone)

I think this was 1st place:

2nd place:

3rd place:

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

I think this is 4th place?

Eliot Davidsons Zoo:

A cool artifact deck:

Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 02:09:31 am »

Awesome stuff!! Thanks for the pictures I love seeing people's decks!

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 11:03:19 am »

Fun time and beautiful decks as usual. Here's a game state in my game 2 vs. Stephen. COP: Red was holding off Kird Ape, and then Mirror Universe came up to discourage me from continuing to attack with the factories. Stephen ultimately grinded me out that one and game 3.

Here's a shot where not much appears to be going on, except everything along the top is set aside from the real game, while players shuffle up for the Shahrazad sub-game.

My favorite Shahrazad moment obviously was when I was mana screwed holding a grip of 5 blue cards (including Time Walk and Ancestral) but no blue mana source, facing down a 3-4 turn clock from Eliot B's handful of weenies (we're both at 18 life). He then plays Shahrazad for the fun factor and/or as a potential Fireball for 9. I manage to dominate the subgame to drop him down to 9, then pull a Volcanic off the top back in the real game and take it away. Of course he won the match anyway Smile

Not sure if others have any "action shots".
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 04:44:12 am »

I posted a few on twitter after the tournament, but my favorite action shot was getting the Chaos Orb loop going with Guardian Beast. Smile  That was pretty insane Smile  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRo1KQEUYAAcZRb.jpg

saspook
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 04:43:17 pm »

Steve, do you feel like Wizards would errata Chaos Orb to a sacrifice if it wasn't banned in normal formats?
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 02:17:34 pm »

Probably. 

I have more photos from this event I'll try to upload in a tournament report some day. 

BTW, I'm going to schedule another Old School event for next year.  As is our trend, I'd like to make one change.  Does anyone have strong objections to trying out unrestricted Workshop? 

eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 05:18:39 pm »

Certainly no objection from me as this is what I advocated for when we discussed at the Vintage tournament. Excited to combine workshops with my full set of Urza's lands in Rocket Launcher.dec (or something) Very Happy
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 12:42:47 am »

The next Old School event will be in late February.  I will post an announcement before too long...

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »

Fyi http://www.eudogames.com/magic/160228-old-school-magic

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: