TheManaDrain.com
June 20, 2019, 09:14:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7?  (Read 1262 times)
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:16 pm »

So I'm trying to get MTGO set up on my Mac and I need to find a copy of 64 bit Windows 7.  I'm a little confused about OEM vs. Retail.  There seems to be some mixed reviews about whether or not I can actually use the OEM version.  Both options will cost money though and Windows isn't something I want to spend money on.  Just wondering if anyone knows of a free way to download Windows 7?  Or maybe it would be better to somehow get windows 10, 8, or XP?  Does anyone know off hand that cheapest, best way to get a copy of Windows that will run MTGO?  The market seems saturated with all kinds of scams and I'm just not entirely sure what to do.

Join the Vintage League!
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:24:09 am »

Basically, a "Retail" version will have a pretty box that goes on a shelf and a manual and a disk. It's what you'll find if you go to Best Buy.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. The OEM version is intended for people building and selling PCs. Generally, you just get a disk and a key. In some cases now, you only get the key and they expect you to find the disk yourself.

You can actually download the disk free from MS, but your version won't be licensed. Given that (I assume from you using a Mac) you'll be using a VM, that's not that much of a problem since you can reinstall whenever the limit on running unlicensed runs out. However, at that point we now reach the morality argument regarding you using a piece of paid software for free.

If you're already at that argument and your technical enough to be using a VM or BootCamping it, I assure you that you can find less-than-legal ways to acquire any version of Windows you please without paying or running into Windows licensing issues. But that's talk for another forum.

You mentioned four versions. I must insist that you not use XP for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it's no longer supported.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

Thanks for your reply,

Im only technical enough to type error messages and questions into Google.  That method is not working for me this time because of all the misleading junk from people who are trying to harm me and my computer.  I haven't tried piratebay; its hard to know whats a scam and what isnt.

I discovered that you can download from MS, but you need a product key to even get to the point of download.  Im beginning to think that the only option is to purchase from Wal Mart for about $200.

Join the Vintage League!
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:29:44 pm »

Thanks for your reply,

Im only technical enough to type error messages and questions into Google.  That method is not working for me this time because of all the misleading junk from people who are trying to harm me and my computer.  I haven't tried piratebay; its hard to know whats a scam and what isnt.

I discovered that you can download from MS, but you need a product key to even get to the point of download.  Im beginning to think that the only option is to purchase from Wal Mart for about $200.

If you want to go the legit route, I don't see why you need a retail copy, that's just wasted money.  NewEgg has OEM copies for $139.99.

I'll get back to you on other options, I'm at work now.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
—Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:41:09 am »

OEM's come with the issue that you can not use a retail disk to activate them, you must use am OEM disk. (Granted you can make one with a retail disk.) It also means you can't download the software from the Microsoft site. (A bitch that one.)

I had an OEM disk stop working and it was a royal pain. Finding a legitimate OEM iso is quite hard and finding a legit retail can be too. Keep that in mind.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »

Does mtgo run better on pro or home? Does it matter? Another way I could save money is by just going with 'home'.  But I don't want to do that I it's going to compromise performance.

Join the Vintage League!
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:11:37 am »

For anyone who is trying to run windows on their mac in order to play MTGO, here is where you download windows for free:

dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/mac

The only catch is that it is technically a trial and you have to "reset" it every 30 days.  I'll add a link to the technical walkthrough when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:16:27 am by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: