TheManaDrain.com
February 19, 2020, 06:55:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accidental Card Revealed During Shuffling/Cutting  (Read 2201 times)
TheMonadNomad
Basic User

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:26:24 pm »

So this happened when I was playing a casual game so it really ended up not being a big deal but it made me wonder.  What would happen in a tournament setting if, during the process of shuffling and cutting, a card or cards were accidentally revealed that would result in the opponent getting information (ie - color(s), decktype, etc) about your deck before the game actually began.  Is there a floor rule on how to handle this situation?
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »

If you accidentally reveal a card from your deck, I don't think there's anything anyone can do. But I wonder what happens if your opponents ends up flipping a card up for everyone to see while cutting your deck.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »

Accidentally revealing a card from an opponents deck is looking at extra cards. I suppose under certain circumstances it could be cheating, like if you just turned the top card over.

I was at Grand Prix DC this past August and my opponents deck was in fresh sleeves, they were pretty slick. As I was shuffling his deck, I slipped and some cards fell into my lap and onto the floor. I didn't see any of the cards. We called a judge over, who had to go rooting around on the floor and in my lap to find the cards while I stared at the ceiling to make sure not to see any of them. My opponent confirmed they were his cards (we were both sleeved in black hyper mattes), put them back in and counted the deck. I then finished shuffling, cut, and took a penalty for looking at extra cards.

I'm not certain if you would actually get the penalty for flipping your own card during the shuffling process; I think for most opponents it would only be an issue if, after revealing, you didn't shuffle properly, because now you might be trying to manipulate your deck.
TheMonadNomad
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:16:24 pm »

I then finished shuffling, cut, and took a penalty for looking at extra cards.

What was the penalty in this instance?
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:32:10 pm »

They gave me a warning for looking at extra cards, that was it. If this happens before the game has actually started, that will be the end of it, because you can just shuffle and randomize. If it happens DURING the game, it's a little different, and you can wind up having to shuffle the unknown parts of the deck (i.e. if you terminused a bunch of stuff to the bottom you don't shuffle in etc.). If they think you were doing it on purpose or something similar you can wind up with much harsher penalties.
Varal
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:47:23 am »

Doing it on purpose is Cheating - Disqualification but it's hard to prove. If you do it often enough, you might get flagged by the DCI and potentially get banned for sloppy play/cheating.
Clariax
Global Moderator
Basic User

Clariax
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:01:57 am »

Doing it on purpose is Cheating - Disqualification but it's hard to prove. If you do it often enough, you might get flagged by the DCI and potentially get banned for sloppy play/cheating.

This goes for pretty much every infraction. And this is why they're all recorded and tracked by the dci. Realistically anyone could probably "accidentally" drop part of an opponent's deck while shuffling (or cast a spell for one less mana, or anything else) once and have minimal consequences because there won't be anything to suggest that it was intentional. But if someone is getting a warning for the same thing over and over, once or twice per event, but never more than a warning, this gets noticed. There have been dci suspensions for "accumulated warnings" before.

Aaron Cutler
DCI L2
Cleveland, Ohio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: