TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 05:09:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: [OGW] Wastes: Barry's Land is REAL?  (Read 30206 times)
bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2015, 10:55:09 pm »

Also...found the original source upload.
Now we aren't suffering from 50% tweet compression and you can see it is a fairly reasonable resolution pic.  Zoom in on the expansion symbol or any line of text, is it my imagination or do those areas consistently look less crisp than the rest of the card and like there is a slight aura around them?...artifacts from photoshop layer erase perhaps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nim8y1r0l14pbfw/fake%20mystic%20gate.jpg?dl=0

also stray ink dots above "pool" in first ability and "Add" in second.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:01:09 pm by bactgudz » Logged
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2015, 11:32:57 pm »

I don't see anything in this card that indicates that colorless mana functions any differently than it already does.  I also don't see how this gives [Sm]Memnarch a boost.  I think I see what you're getting at, but nothing released so far indicates that {<>} can override the color-required costs  on Devoid or colorless cards.

Well we can definitely rule out a form of snow mana though.  They aren't going to be errating snow mana onto old cards.

Technically all the cards including Barry's land are unconfirmed so far, and could be removed.  This doesn't make it any less interesting to discuss in my opinion.

Its about reflecting 3 distinct wavelengths of light in a small area of the landscape that is simply a shading of the same color in the art.  Bad lighting doesn't make for bad physics. Your expeditions don't do that

Ok I'll bite.  What law of physics says this is impossible?
The quantization of light.  You have something there that absorbs light and reemits photons with those discrete energies under those lighting conditions.  I do not believe that pattern is consistent with the ink used on magic cards where you have different colors of ink next to each other at the pixel level in a dot pattern in close proximity shading, you will see the result of the blended spectra.  It is consistent with deskjet printer ink on an overlay or blanked foil where colors of ink are layered on top of each other to produce different shadings, you will see the dominant spectra in each area.

Given what all you say is true.  Isn't it still possible Wizard's themselves to printed so they could see a mock up before mass producing it?
bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »

I don't see anything in this card that indicates that colorless mana functions any differently than it already does.  I also don't see how this gives [Sm]Memnarch a boost.  I think I see what you're getting at, but nothing released so far indicates that {<>} can override the color-required costs  on Devoid or colorless cards.

Well we can definitely rule out a form of snow mana though.  They aren't going to be errating snow mana onto old cards.

Technically all the cards including Barry's land are unconfirmed so far, and could be removed.  This doesn't make it any less interesting to discuss in my opinion.

Its about reflecting 3 distinct wavelengths of light in a small area of the landscape that is simply a shading of the same color in the art.  Bad lighting doesn't make for bad physics. Your expeditions don't do that

Ok I'll bite.  What law of physics says this is impossible?
The quantization of light.  You have something there that absorbs light and reemits photons with those discrete energies under those lighting conditions.  I do not believe that pattern is consistent with the ink used on magic cards where you have different colors of ink next to each other at the pixel level in a dot pattern in close proximity shading, you will see the result of the blended spectra.  It is consistent with deskjet printer ink on an overlay or blanked foil where colors of ink are layered on top of each other to produce different shadings, you will see the dominant spectra in each area.

Given what all you say is true.  Isn't it still possible Wizard's themselves to printed so they could see a mock up before mass producing it?

Sure, I guess it's possible.  It's also possible it's a troll, people seem wildly passionate about this <>=colorless thing.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2015, 01:06:02 am »

From the hi-res image, it clearly looks photo-shopped...whether by WotC or a huge troll. In any case good detective work, Adrian. I feel we are back to waiting for official news...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »

From the hi-res image, it clearly looks photo-shopped...whether by WotC or a huge troll. In any case good detective work, Adrian. I feel we are back to waiting for official news...

No matter what is released ahead of time by spoiler sights I always take this approach until official news comes out. Keeps me from getting all in a dither over nothing.

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2015, 12:32:39 pm »

No matter what is released ahead of time by spoiler sights I always take this approach until official news comes out. Keeps me from getting all in a dither over nothing.

I mean this entire thread is based on the discussion of card's that were spoiled in this fashion.  Everyone of these cards could be fake.  Everything checks out on this mystic gate except for possibly the foiling.  We also know that it was highly likely that mystic gate would be one of the cards printed in the expedition.
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »

I mean this entire thread is based on the discussion of card's that were spoiled in this fashion.  Everyone of these cards could be fake.  Everything checks out on this mystic gate except for possibly the foiling.  We also know that it was highly likely that mystic gate would be one of the cards printed in the expedition.

Well, the foiling and the haze around the letters on the image strongly suggesting that photoshop was used.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
vartemis
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2015, 03:14:55 pm »

Isn't the white text on the bottom of the foils white ink, same as around the expansion symbol? You can see the foil through the bottom text in the dropbox pic, which leads me to believe its a fake. Consumer grade inkjet and laser printers can't print white.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »

Did someone from Wizards today confirm these?  I thought I saw some social media conversations suggesting that these were real, and would entail some amendments to the rules.

Also, what is "barry's land"?

Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/25
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2015, 12:13:58 am »

Did someone from Wizards today confirm these?  I thought I saw some social media conversations suggesting that these were real, and would entail some amendments to the rules.

All unconfirmed so far.
zimagic
Basic User

zimagic
View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2015, 10:19:02 am »

R&D label for a 6th basic land type (named for Barry Reich), generally considered to be colorless, to allow Domain 6. Was cut from Invasion for rules issues, resurfaced during Conflux development but was cut again for rules issues.

If real, Wastes isn't Barry's land, it's a Basic with no supertype. You could fetch for it as for any WUBRG basic but it wouldn't count towards Domain.

Insert Quote here
Aaron Patten
Basic User

Mox Dragon of the Lotus

View Profile Email
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »

I suspect everything posted on mtgsalvation as I type this is real but the mystic gate definitely isn't.  The art is already established to be a depiction of Sea Gate.  I'm guessing it's destined to be on some kind of legendary land representation of Sea Gate.  The proof is near the end of this article:
http://www.fetchland.com/tag/magic-the-gathering/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »

If real, Wastes isn't Barry's land, it's a Basic with no supertype. You could fetch for it as for any WUBRG basic but it wouldn't count towards Domain.
It is the real world Barry's Land Smile
ajfirecracker
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2015, 02:37:21 pm »

I suspect everything posted on mtgsalvation as I type this is real but the mystic gate definitely isn't.  The art is already established to be a depiction of Sea Gate.  I'm guessing it's destined to be on some kind of legendary land representation of Sea Gate.  The proof is near the end of this article:

Isn't "Mystic Gate" compatible conceptually with "Sea Gate"?

kingneckbeard on MTGO

"I fully believe that if Dredge could play a transformational sideboard it would just win all the tournaments yet it just doesn’t have one because there is just nothing that it can play. It’d be awesome to completely ignore all those very specific hate cards people bring against you but how are you going to do that?" - Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa
Aaron Patten
Basic User

Mox Dragon of the Lotus

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2015, 04:07:27 pm »

Isn't "Mystic Gate" compatible conceptually with "Sea Gate"?
I suppose so but "Sea Gate" is the name of a single place.  There aren't multiples of it in the story so it should be a legendary land. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2015, 04:16:27 pm »

The filter lands don't really fit at all with the themes of this set.  

the Fetch lands added to landfall
the Shock lands allowed for easy three color mana, while also being specific types to be searched by the fetch lands (should you somehow get both in a limited format)
the Slow lands are new.

What purpose would giving reprints to the filter lands be in this set?  We already know Graven Cairns is going to get reprinted with the Future Sight art, they are planning to recycle these lands, especially when the limited format will be closer to something like Return To Ravnica and have tons of hybrid cards.

There are no hybrid cards in Return to Zendikar, there were no hybrid cards in the original Zendikar, and the devoid mechanic is basically the polar opposite of what the filter lands are all about.  

It's not to say that Wizards won't print them, it just seems like a total and complete flavor fail.

There are 20 new expeditions in this set, my expectations were:

5 new Slow lands to complete the set
all 10 dual battlelands - the old cycle from Worldwake and the new cycle that has been split over two sets
5 Colorless lands - Things like Eye of Ugin, Cavern of Souls, etc.  

But a solid alternative would be:
5 slow lands
5 old battle lands OR colorless lands
10 of a series like the filter, pain lands, or the innistrad/core check to see if you have a basic then comes into play untapped lands.  But all of these seem weird or bad to reprint.  

On second thought, Eye of Ugin might be too powerful in the limited format that they wouldn't print it.  You wouldn't want a Grand Prix decided by the person who opens Eye of Ugin, as it would be that powerful in limited.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:19:45 pm by gkraigher » Logged
psly4mne
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

It seems to me that the filter lands fit in well with OGW mechanically, as they are mana fixers that help cast your <> spells. Pain lands would also work, and the enemy ones are already in standard, but I think the filter lands are a good fit.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »

What purpose would giving reprints to the filter lands be in this set?  We already know Graven Cairns is going to get reprinted with the Future Sight art, they are planning to recycle these lands, especially when the limited format will be closer to something like Return To Ravnica and have tons of hybrid cards.

There are no hybrid cards in Return to Zendikar, there were no hybrid cards in the original Zendikar, and the devoid mechanic is basically the polar opposite of what the filter lands are all about. 

It's not to say that Wizards won't print them, it just seems like a total and complete flavor fail.

The purpose of the expeditions has everything to do with making Modern somewhat more accessible as they are constantly pushing that format, and the set is named Oath of the Gatewatch of course a card called Mystic Gate fits in flavor wise... How does Cavern of Souls and random colorless lands fit this set flavor wise?

On second thought, Eye of Ugin might be too powerful in the limited format that they wouldn't print it.  You wouldn't want a Grand Prix decided by the person who opens Eye of Ugin, as it would be that powerful in limited.  

Are these legal in draft?
bactgudz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2015, 04:42:36 pm »

I do think there is a very strong possibility of filter expeditions, I think they will fit well mechanically and thus might even return to standard in an upcoming block [so the expedition is sort of a foreshadow]...I just don't think that one is legit.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »

It seems to me that the filter lands fit in well with OGW mechanically, as they are mana fixers that help cast your <> spells. Pain lands would also work, and the enemy ones are already in standard, but I think the filter lands are a good fit.

If the ability to produce colorless mana matters, then this makes a lot of sense.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:41 am »

Seems like they just confirmed Kozilek and that <> mana is colorless mana and every land that produces 1 will produce <> now (they confirmed live during World Magic Cup)
TVand
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2015, 09:03:39 am »

I think this is a fantastic decision.  It removes some ambiguity from the game and opens up new design space going forward.  We've never actually had to care about whether we could produce colorless mana before; giving it a symbol allows Wizards to easily print cards requiring it in years to come.

"They say that if you're crazy it makes you sane and, if you're sane, you'll never believe a word of this story."
Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:23 am »

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/675303346681593856

I guess this means I won the bet.
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2015, 11:33:31 am »

Does everyone who called fake on this feel dumb yet?
I'm happy with the way they did this. I hope this "new" mana adds some new dynamics to some old cards and opens up the format. Here's hoping!

Confirmation and discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-eWvDPZX8

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:52 am »

Way to strike a blow for common sense, WotC!
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2015, 01:13:35 pm »

For the record I've conceded the bet. Congratulations Dice_box.
Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

For the record I've conceded the bet. Congratulations Dice_box.
And has been true to his word. Thanks man.
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »

So,does Ancient Tomb text reads "add {square}{square} to your mana pool"?
Dice_Box
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2015, 09:22:43 pm »

That, and Sol Ring, City of Traitors...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: