TheManaDrain.com
May 19, 2019, 08:07:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGO Vintage League  (Read 5461 times)
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:27:25 pm »

Hey guys, I've been wanting something like this for a long time. (Since the first VSL)

The idea is to have a MTGO Vintage League open to anyone to play. The incentive to play is to get in quality games against quality opponents; helping you prepare for the weekend Dailys and the monthly P9 event.  Commentary and all the bells and whistles that are associated with the VSL will be excluded for practical reasons but the individual players can stream for their own agenda.  The point of this league is to play competitive Vintage in a unique tournament format that is flexible with your availability.

If anyone wants to join the league post here with what times work for you.

Season 1 begins January 2016

Here's the link to the most updated League guidelines:

League Guidelines
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:17:13 am by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:43:49 pm »

I've wanted something like this for a long time so I am in.

Maybe set up a Doodle poll for people's available times?
Leoj
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:03 pm »

I would love to play in this assuming I can fit it in my schedule.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:06:39 pm »

Im envisioning MTGO Vintage League to be a testing platform, where you can get in a ton of games or just a few, depending on your needs.

-edit-

How about 3 matches on one weeknight? Then those results will determine the next weeks pairings.  After a X weeks, there will be a playoff.  Then the league will reset.

A possible structure would involve the winners of the matches earning points.  Then there can be some kind of playoff at the end of the season between the players with the most points.

But the most important reason for this league is to have an organized thing on a weeknight, that you can take seriously and everyone who's involved will improve their game.  

I will add a poll, but I wish the league to be more open ended than what's been tried in the past.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:15:55 pm by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:29:42 am »

Three matches on one night per week sounds about right.

I like the idea of earning points for playing each week. For example, 3 points for each game win, 1 point for each game loss, and 0 points for not showing up. Pairings can then be determined each week based on the running point totals (like if the league were a giant tournament).

Also definitely give people a way to notify you ahead of time if they cannot make it to the next week, so that they can be excluded from the pairings, rather than people ending up with a bunch of byes.
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 06:13:09 am »

Sounds great!
How would we handle organization, pairings etc..by Gatherer or?
What about decklists..etc?
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »

How about 3 matches on one weeknight? Then those results will determine the next weeks pairings.

Would we be scheduling exactly when each of these matches happen?

I'm picturing a nightmare scenario where I finish match 1 super fast and my match 2 opponent finishes super slow then his match 3 opponent wants to play right now, so now I'm waiting and my match 3 opponent won't be ready until a few hours from now and on and on...

Because of stuff like that, I think I'd prefer something like 1 match per weeknight  couple nights per week. Plus, it's a lot easier for me to set aside an hour a day a few times a week than it is for me to set aside a 3+ hour block on one night.

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 10:23:19 pm »

I see where you're coming from, Crav.  I'm capable of spreading it out throughout the week as long as the majority is also willing and able.  The format could be 3 matches per week, with a top 8 playoff for the final week of the month.

Season 1 will start with the new year. January 2016  That way we can all get the holidays past us before we make the full commitment.

Here's what I propose for deck lists: I'll set up an e-mail address.  All the deck lists should be emailed to the address before the first match of the season.  Then I will post the lists after the first round of games are done. (I won't view the e-mail account until after the first round of games are completed)

Here's the link to a google doc I started to set up:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tQwVo__7CreTY-tZYHjPNZAO9ON84YuG_7lVuBB_nRE/edit?usp=sharing

I also changed the poll
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:42:43 am by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
Leoj
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:57 am »

You may want to change the date to January 2016 unless you want a lot of planning time. Very Happy
matori
Basic User

McLovin

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 12:02:13 pm »

2017. Smile
I'm just thinking again about scheduling. Since I am in CET time zone (GMT+1) maybe it is better to spread matches throughout the week, although I voted for other option.
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:17:41 pm »

I would love to participate. This seems really fun. Gathering.com has been used for player run tournaments, but idk what they have for leagues.

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »

I was thinking that spreading them out throughout the week would work well.

For example, I could provide your three opponents for the week and then you could contact them to schedule your match. Could be anytime from Monday night to Saturday afternoon (before the start of the first weekend Daily).

Also if anyone is interested in helping to manage the google doc, please request an invitation on there.  I'm hoping this to be player run league, not just me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:15:19 pm by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »

For example, I could provide your three opponents for the week and then you could contact them to schedule your match. Could be anytime from Monday night to Saturday afternoon (before the start of the first weekend Daily).

I like that deadline. Hopefully it will encourage more people to play in the daily!

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 10:04:42 pm »

Yeah what I was thinking was that people would be getting on around that time anyway. So a perfect opportunity to get in your last match is right before the Daily

Join the Vintage League!
CHaPuZaS
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:14:11 pm »

Yes! If the schedule fits - somehow - european times I am in.

Visit my blog and find links to all my channels and social media:

www.launiversidad.net
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 05:19:29 pm »

Heres how the pairings will work.  Any suggestions?

Week 1

Match 1: Random
Match 2: Random
Match 3: Random

Week 2

Match 1: Week 1 results (#1 will play #2, #3 will play #4, and so on)
Match 2: Random

Week 3

Match 1: Season results (#1 will play #2, #3 will play #4)
Match 2: Week 2 results (#1 will play #2, #3 will play #4)

Week 4

Top 8 Playoff

Determining placement in standings:

# of wins
# of losses
Match Win %
Opponent Match Win %
Game Win %
Opponent Game Win %

It's updated on the doc as soon as possible, there are 7 members currently.  I'm planning to have everything set in stone by next week so everyone will have a week to think about decks.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet I started to set up that will help track standings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nbcws03IiCguuc9h7F8GxAVE9qa86fJu8y4pZ_X4blc/edit#gid=44367034

This link is also on the google doc
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:34:10 pm by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
tribet
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 10:36:23 pm »

I'll be keen to play. Being in Australia, it would be much easier if you give me X pairings + a time window & then I'll work it out from there. It would be to difficult to lock in one given day or time with X different opp probably living in different time zones.

Maybe 4 every 2 weeks may give more flexibility? That's the sort of thing you have to think of but yeah Im keen
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:03 pm »

Ok tribet, you're in! The structure will be along those lines. 3 Matches per week that you schedule yourself.  Improvements will be made to this part of the league over time.  

Right now I'm working on a deck registration form.  The form will input deck lists directly into a spread sheet, where the data can be analyzed.  Player registration for the season will be linked with deck registration in one form.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:53:32 am by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 09:59:18 am »

I'd be interested in this, seems like a solid idea.
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »

Sounds good, diophan.  Check back here next weekend for the season 1 deck registration link.

Join the Vintage League!
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »

Hey guys, this will be my last post in this thread.  I started a new thread in the tournament announcement section.  Deck registration is open.  Please submit this form (MTGO Name and Decklist) before the 1st of the month if you want to play:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MK2-SuFtgyTkUUZZ30SBywYJ-KbzqPWuh9uEeRvQ75Q/viewform

Join the Vintage League!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: