TheManaDrain.com
November 15, 2019, 01:10:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: [OGW] Thought-Knot Seer  (Read 9634 times)
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »

-1 sea gate wreckage
-1 demonic tutor
-4 wasteland strangler
-2 blight herder
-1 crucible of worlds
-1 reality smasher

+3 chains of Mephistopheles
+1 null rod
+1 nether void
+2 mental misstep
+3 grafdigger's cage (not the full 4)

Potential other cuts include mana crypt and vampiric tutor
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »

I love that you ran Library and Anti-Library in the same deck and gave not a F.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »

After seeing Eldrazi absolutely demolish the Modern Pro Tour, I think the advocates of Eldrazi in Vintage have a much better argument.  In particular, I don't think I realized how broken Eye + Mimic; actually is... they become Ornithopters that hit for however hard you cast dorks on turn 2.  That's a respectable clock!

I love that you ran Library and Anti-Library in the same deck and gave not a F.

You see, Ivan, if you runs Library and Anti-Library in same deck, you drawing card if hand empty or full!

gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 10:24:21 pm »

After seeing Eldrazi absolutely demolish the Modern Pro Tour, I think the advocates of Eldrazi in Vintage have a much better argument.  In particular, I don't think I realized how broken Eye + Mimic; actually is... they become Ornithopters that hit for however hard you cast dorks on turn 2.  That's a respectable clock!

You could certainly engineer a Vintage deck that runs 4 Eye of Ugin and 4 Eldrazi Mimic, but it would be a very linear - almost entirely - creature based deck.  Eye of Ugin breaks the fundamental rules of the game now that Mimic exists, generating as much as 14 mana on turn 1 (On the draw, you drop 4 eldrazi mimic and 3 endless ones for 2).  You could play some Stifle/Phyrexian Dreadnought package to go alongside it.  

I'm all for trying out different things, but I'm going to keep on tuning this Black list because I think it's very good.  

*technically, eye can generate 16 mana on turn 1 in vintage.   Lotus, Ancestral Recall, 4 Eldrazi Mimic, 1 Endless One for 4, 3 Endless One for 2)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:27:45 pm by gkraigher » Logged
ben_berry
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »

Mox diamond pitching riftstone portal for even more christmas land.
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:52 pm »

I played this list at a 17 person FNM Vintage tournament in Marietta, GA last Friday.  

I was 4-0, 9-0 in games, but went 3-1 because I showed up to the tournament 15 minutes late, played the match, and beat the guy.

Land (23)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Eldrazi Temple
    1x Library of Alexandria
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Sea Gate Wreckage
    1x Strip Mine
    2x Swamp
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Wasteland

Artifact (9)
    1x Black Lotus
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Mana Crypt
    1x Mox Emerald
    1x Mox Jet
    3x Null Rod
    1x Sol Ring

Creature (22)
    4x Bearer of Silence
    2x Blight Herder
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Thought-Knot Seer
    4x Wasteland Strangler

Instant (1)
    1x Vampiric Tutor

Sorcery (1)
    1x Demonic Tutor

Enchantment (4)
    4x Leyline of the Void

Sideboard (15)
    3x Chains of Mephistopheles
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Dismember
    4x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Mental Misstep
    1x Nether Void
    1x Null Rod
    1x Toxic Deluge

I only played fair decks (i.e. blue decks), missed playing Workshops.  It abused the fair lists.  Cavern on Reality Smasher (the premium planeswalker destruction card in the format) or Though-Knot Seer is just too much.  

Sea Gate Wreckage drew 3 cards one game for me.  Library of Alexandria is the ideal turn 1 play on the draw. 

How did you like DRS? I've played a handful of games, which is admittedly a small sample size, but I've had a couple instances where I had both DRS and LotV in play, effectively making DRS a 1/2 dork that was impossible to cast without just a handful of cards that make black/green mana (because you aren't getting cards in your graveyard, you're depending on you opponent to supply you with DRS fodder). I like the synergy to help get cards in exile, and DRS is a decent card in a vacuum, but I just can't help but wonder if those 4 spots could be better used for something more proactive, like discard, or even maindeck Missteps. Misstep out of the board has been very huge for this deck. I've countered Rituals, Probes, Plows... so much good stuff.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2016, 11:32:45 pm »

That's pretty reasonable.  Maybe 2 misstep and 2 shaman main, with 2 more missteps in the board.  

Multiple copies of shaman get redundant. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: