TheManaDrain.com
June 20, 2019, 06:45:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oakland Grand Prix Vintage side event 09 January 2016  (Read 959 times)
fendog
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: January 10, 2016, 11:26:09 pm »

Oakland Grand Prix Vintage side event
9 January 2016 -- Oakland, California USA

12 participants in five rounds of Swiss.

Top 4:
1. Eliot Davidoff--Workshops
2. Rich Von Hoosenstyn--Workshops
Justin Franks--Dark Petition Storm
Patrick Greenfield--Burning Oath

Other decks included Belcher, Blue Angels, Blue Moon, Dredge, and Doomsday. Unfortunately, I didn't get information on the other three deck types that appeared at this tourney.

Thanks to Channel Fireball for organizing the event.

Any errors are my own; I gathered this information from a Channel Fireball official and a few fellow participants.

Here's Eliot's winning deck list:

Main Deck

4   Kuldotha Forgemaster
4   Lodestone Golem
4   Phyrexian Revoker
1   Lightning Greaves
2   Phyrexian Metamorph
1   Blightsteel Colossus
1   Sundering Titan
1   Steel Hellkite
1   Trinisphere
1   Chalice of the Void
4   Sphere of Resistance
4   Tangle Wire
4   Thorn of Amethyst
1   Black Lotus
1   Mana Crypt
1   Mox Emerald
1   Mox Jet
1   Mox Pearl
1   Mox Ruby
1   Mox Sapphire
1   Sol Ring
1   Strip Mine
1   Tolarian Academy
4   Ancient Tomb
4   Mishra's Factory
4   Mishra's Workshop
4   Wasteland
2   Cavern of Souls

Sideboard

3   Dismember
4   Grafdigger's Cage
2   Ratchet Bomb
1   Wurmcoil Engine
1   Witchbane Orb
1   Duplicant
2   Crucible of Worlds
1   Pithing Needle
eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »

Thanks for posting. This was a fun event, although lower turnout than we had hoped for considering the GP venue. The main problem I think was that the Legacy side event conflicted - it started at 11am and this started at 3pm, so Legacy was still going on at that point.

Steel Hellkite was probably the MVP of the day for me, particularly in the first match vs. Blue Belcher (ouch).

The final match between me and Rich was surprisingly fun and interactive for a Workshops mirror. He assembled infinite mana/draw with Metalworker + Staff of Domination in game 1, but I managed to squeeze out games 2 and 3. In the second game I played Forgemaster and then he copied it with Metamorph. Unfortunately I had Blightsteel in hand so I couldn't go search for it, and I was worried that he was going to bring out Blightsteel on his next turn. I had sided in Duplicant so I considered letting him make the first move, but then I think I topdecked Greaves so I decided to go get Hellkite and attack and blow up a bunch of his stuff. Probably not the best play but it worked out because it turned out he also had Blightsteel in hand! D'oh.

In the last game we both made a play error: We both had Lightning Greaves in play, mine attached to a Lodestone Golem and his unattached. I played Revoker and named Greaves. Several turns later he played a Golem and equipped his, and the next turn I attacked and he blocked so we traded Golems, and I equipped my Greaves to my Revoker. Then on his next turn when he was about to play another creature I realized that neither of those equips had been legal since my Revoker was still in play. However since he hadn't attacked with his the turn it came into play (and neither of us had spot removal that was stymied by Shroud), the judge ruled the mistakes hadn't actually affected the game state so we just unequipped mine and proceeded with the game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: