TheManaDrain.com
April 25, 2019, 05:12:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Pieces of the puzzle  (Read 1707 times)
PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:15 am »

there's an interesting common in shadows over Innistrad leaked today on mtgsalvation:

Pieces of the puzzle 2U
Sorcery common

reveal the top 5 cards of your library.
Put up to two instant or sorcery
cards from among them into your hand
and the rest into your graveyard.

--

First of all, it's a strictly better uncovered clues, a card that is not vintage-playable.

1. vintage-relevant effect

Searching for instants and sorceries is relevant in vintage. This effect is somewhere between peer through depths and fact or fiction (it fuels the graveyard).

Now, both cards are not played in vintage, but one has even be restricted, so for it to be better than peer through depths, you would need to have a deck that can consistently find 2 instants/sorceries in the top 5 cards and ideally have some use of the graveyard.

I don't know how many instants and sorceries you have to run to hit "two of" somewhat consistently. How is the math done?

Special implications: For example, this card lets you ideally find a reanimation spell, a counter AND dump a fattie into your graveyard at the same time (or find a counter / dump artifact in a welder shell etc.)

2. Cost + timing

I analyze these two together, because being a sorcery is very relevant in vintage. Had it been an instant, it would be very easy to set yourself up for a big turn eot, making the card very similar to thirst for knowledge in cost, timing and card advantage. As it is, the cost + timing are more similar to dack fayden, monastery mentor, yawgmoth's will, tinker, compulsive research and painful truths. Dack and mentor are very different form which role they play in decks, yawgmoth's will has a much higher ceiling and tinker is only sometimes being played right now (wich kind of has the above effect of fattie + welder all in itself), so this seems to be an issue with this card.

3. Conclusion:

IF this card is going to see play it will probably be in a new strategy made to abuse it, like some sort of reanimator (which is not dragon), but it could make an appearance in a spell-based combo list like Dark petition storm, although I doubt it would be better than a draw 7 in a list like this.
Maybe it could help something like a fastbond gush/storm list, as it digs quite deep when going off.

I think it has potential though and is certainly on the short list of interesting spells in that cost range.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:33:18 am by PETER FLUGZEUG » Logged

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:37:32 am »

Thirst for Kowledge, Painful Truths, Dack Fayden, and many more all seem like potential competition for this.  It's biggest advantage would be seeing 5 cards, but you can only select specific card types among them so it's kind of deceptive.  In a deck with 36 instants/sorceries, delver/storm, on average you get to choose 2 of 3 instants/sorceries.  Most decks play less than that though, and I'm unsure if storm/delver want to be playing a 3 mana sorcery draw spell.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:30:01 am »

The fact that you reveal what you get is a huge downside too.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:31:19 am »

Yep, the easy and wrong math says that 2 of 5 cards means 24 of 60 (sorcery/instant). Brainstorm/jace work wonderful, and other things as SDT/sylvan library help too. The best part is putting the rest of cards in the grave, so it's nice for reanimator for example. However I didn't take a second look to this card this morning and I'll be surprised if it sees serious play outside some decks that have big interaction with graveyard.
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 09:42:18 am »

The other thing worth noting is that while this can be card advantage, this does not actually say "draw". Maybe there is some possibility with Spirit of the Lab or something like that?

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
psly4mne
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:47:51 am »

In a deck with 24 instant/sorceries, this gets 0 or 1 card 32.7% of the time. With 30, that goes down to 17.6%. That's still a pretty high failure rate. You need 34 instant/sorceries to hit 2 cards 90% of the time. If this gets played, it's because it fills your graveyard effectively, but I doubt it will happen.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »

To be honest, if it's drawing 1 card you are not losing CA and most of the time you are putting blanks in the grave. Not to mention this card is quite nice with will, dtt or t.cruise since you fill your grave while you fetch for them. And assuming you can pay  {2} {U}, throwing lands and moxen in the grave does not seem a tragedy.

While I cannot imagine a deck willing to play 36 instants/sorceries, the first gush/mentor deck I just saw has 21+7, dark petition storm has 11+20,11+22 and even 11+23, burning tendrils 13+19, painter 25+5 and tezz 25+4. So the count seems already reasonable.

Being a sorcery is a nuisance though, and does not couple well with creatures. But it's only a common!
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »

I think this card would be T1 relevant at instant speed.  At sorcery speed, there are just other things you can do with  {U} {2} that will consistently be more impactful.

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
rikter
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 03:59:05 pm »

I think this card would be T1 relevant at instant speed.  At sorcery speed, there are just other things you can do with  {U} {2} that will consistently be more impactful.

Agree that being at instant speed would make this a lot better. Possibly broken even.
Spacebalzz
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:47 pm »

An apt comparison here is Strategic Planning, which only digs three deep, but costs one less, lets you take any card type, and hides your choice from you opponent.  It doesn't see any play.

As much as I want this to be good, we're better off just play Fact or Fiction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: